"Loose" noise on Gen III from front end?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I heard a loose noise from the front of my 13 it was because the front fender was loose and about to fall off.
Well, I guess I'll give that a peek when I'm checking my tire pressure before heading out on my 5,000 km trip tonight!

Floating rotors had me scratching my head for awhile. Finally figured it out when I grabbed various parts on the front end and started trying to shake them. Took me awhile to figure out since I wear earplugs almost always and couldn't hear the noise with the plugs in. Little things that go bump in the night.

I wonder if Hardly riders complain about all the rattles. I think the more they rattle the more they like it.

Just sayin,

Dave

I wonder if Hardly riders complain about all the rattles. I think the more they rattle the more they like it.
Just sayin,

Dave
They can't hear any rattles 'cause they have those cool "loud pipes" or they turn up the volume on their radio for all to hear-at least on the touring models.

I think Bungie is right; it's the plastic hitting the side of the glovebox on the inside of the fairing. I'm going to try to put something like a piece of foam in there temporarily to see if it goes away.

Thank goodness other 2013+ models hear this. It is unsettling to hear the rattles. When I took the bike in for routine servicing early on, I asked them to test ride to listen for the rattles. They showed me it was the floating brake pads.

I just switched to a Shoei RF1200 helmet and now don't typically wear ear plugs unless I'm traveling far or want my windshield fully down. With the much quieter helmet I notice noises much more frequently. I do wish there was a way to quiet the brake pads down, but I don't think messing with brakes that were designed to float would be wise for me.

I remember this thread. When it popped up again just now I remembered I forgot to post it here. But ya, thats the offender. I haven't heard that rattle since I tied off that connector.