Lost Rear Brake Pad.... 2007 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the wheel hasn't been touched for that long, and you've actually used rear brakes in the interim, then the only thing that could have happened is the pad actually broke, backing plate and all. Even with no pad material at all, one or both of the ears circled would have to break off for that to fall out, or the piston would have to be pushed all the way into the cylinder.

rearbrake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have my rear wheel off and clearly the inner pad has almost twice the wear as the outer. I don't know the reason on this wear. Also I have heard of the fiber pad portion coming off a backing plate but never heard that happening on a bike.
If that would happen, and that is possible, it does look as though there "is enough" room for the pad portion to exit the caliper. Even though it would have to come "up" and then exit out. That doesn't seem likely but possible IMO. But if the backing plate and clips are gone as well, then the only other reason could be it wasn't put back in last time it was apart and the rear brake was never used until the noise was heard. And as mentioned the rear brake is not linked to the front brake lever. Just pure speculation on my part of course. Hope you figure it out. PM. <>< :dntknw:

I suspect that a tab broke on the pad itself. It seems that a tab breaking would be about impossible, however, that is the only thing it could be. I should have my new parts in a day or two and will rip into things and go from there.

I see what's wrong! in the first picture, one can clearly see a *chain* which proves that this may actually be some other bike *disguised* as a FJR! Under extensive analysis, I can also see what appears to be definitive proof that fire cannot melt steel therefore this was an inside job, probably by Haliburton/Cheney.

But seriously, scary moment time. I had my rear boil and quit for a few minutes but at least it came back!

This is kind of a guess, and unless someone fessed up, or a part was found, I don't think it could ever be proven, but I would bet that when that tire was replaced, someone dropped that brake pad on the concrete floor. Those ears are good crack points, and I would not be surprised at all to find that they are a little brittle from all the heat cycles they see. That wouldn't normally be an issue, but if dropped, they may crack enough that more heat cycles complete the break and you end up without them being held in place. I would also bet one side broke before the other causing the pad being tweaked every time you hit the brakes. This would account for the caliper riding up closer to the hub as you describe with the pictures. The twisting action probably sheared the other ear causing total loss.