Manic Salamander bar ends

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairytat

Reaction score
I think I must be looking at this wrong so I'm hoping for a little assistance.

Manic Salamander had some "B" quality bar ends on ebay that they said would fit my 2003 FJR. Pretty decent deal so I bought them. I got them in the mail Friday and was looking forward to putting them on before my ride on Sunday. I took them out of the package and they looked like a heavier version of any other bar end. No problem, right?

They are significantly bigger than the ends of my bars and the screws provided don't even come close to being long enough.

So I email them and I get a very nice message back and a hand drawn diagram of how they should be installed. My questions are:

Are they supposed to sit outside the diameter of the bar ends?

Are there a bunch of you that have these installed? Do the really help with the vibration?

Are they secure with just the screw holding them on?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261210734917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put a set of these on my bike. I had to order some longer screws from him since the ones I had were too short--probably because of the heated grips on my bike.

I'm going off memory......

Outboard going in: a spacer goes outside on the weight, then the screw through the weight, then a spacer on the inside, then there should be some washers that are used as spacers. Add washers until it all tightens up but does not pinch the grips, leaving a small gap between the inside of the bar end and the grip. Then the throttle moves freely. Hope that helps.

That's what I needed to know. I'll get them to ship me some longer screws.

Coming from "cruiser" world this was foreign to me but I catch on pretty quick.

I have heated grips installed also. The bike was missing one bar end when I got it and there are no washers or spacers, just the rubber grommet inside the bar. Do I need to get some washers/spacers?

I bought a set used from a forum member. I don't know if he had gotten other hardware or anything but as delivered to me they bolted right up. I was shocked at just how much they dampened vibration. Now that I have them, I'll never take them off! I also like the fact they're a little longer so that if the bike does ever fall over, between these and the sliders I hope to escape damage.