MC Enterprises tip over guards - are they any good?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made an offer on these ugly cages and here's why. The owner says they install/deinstall in about 20 minutes. For normal around town and or weeked rides, I'll use my frame sliders. For long camping trips the guards will go on and I'll not be so concerned in gravel and other challenging situations. Don't know why this is in bold print...I tried to turn it off.

Bill

I just made an offer on these ugly cages and here's why. The owner says they install/deinstall in about 20 minutes. For normal around town and or weeked rides, I'll use my frame sliders. For long camping trips the guards will go on and I'll not be so concerned in gravel and other challenging situations. Don't know why this is in bold print...I tried to turn it off.Bill

Even with sliders, the upper fairing, mirror base, and stator cover will touch the ground. With the rear bar that would be even worse, as the rear won't lay down as far as it would without, levering the bike towards the front bits.
For me, if you're gonna use the rear one, use the whole set. If you use just sliders, be ready to sacrifice the rear bag.
Well, I can personally attest that the "ugly" MC bars work! I had a complete brain fart and dropped my FJR in the garage, on it's left side. NOTHING was scratched, not the fairing, mirror, stator cover, handlebar, NOTHING. The only scuff was to the left rear guard, and that was SUPER MINOR. Well worth the expense!

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with sliders, the upper fairing, mirror base, and stator cover will touch the ground. With the rear bar that would be even worse, as the rear won't lay down as far as it would without, levering the bike towards the front bits.For me, if you're gonna use the rear one, use the whole set. If you use just sliders, be ready to sacrifice the rear bag.
Well, I can personally attest that the "ugly" MC bars work! I had a complete brain fart and dropped my FJR in the garage, on it's left side. NOTHING was scratched, not the fairing, mirror, stator cover, handlebar, NOTHING. The only scuff was to the left rear guard, and that was SUPER MINOR. Well worth the expense!
Gunny. Mine have now been tested twice, once in the garage and once while making a u turn on a steep hill. Nary a scratch on the bike, two small scuffs on the cage paint.

I have these MC Enterprises bars front and back with high intensity LED driving lights mounted to the front bars. One thing I had to do when mounting the front bars is use my Dremil with a cut off wheel and cut off the sides of the small cup inside of the side panels. which covers the raised boss on the frame which the top side panel fastener screws into. This is the fastener that is accessed after removal of the small panel attached to the side of the side panel to allow access to the two screw fasteners when removing the side panel. You might be able to use a pair of side cutters to accomplish the same thing. Hope this description is understandable.

My understanding is that the front bars you have shown are the Police models, as mentioned.

The regular MC Enterprises Canyon Cages are much smaller.

I'm considering them myself.

And YES, their website sucks for photo's.

Someone should help those boys out with that.

That would be like taking a close up photo of my big fat nose,

and having you try to determine what my face looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak for the canyon cages. But these bars may be "ugly" to some, but they saved my 2011 from ANY body damage

IMHO there are 2 kinds, those that have dropped their FJR and those that will drop it. Any of you that' have had this beast know what I'm talking about

IMHO there are 2 kinds, those that have dropped their FJR and those that will drop it. Any of you that' have had this beast know what I'm talking about
As they say a picture tells a thousand words, this drop happened at reasonably low speed.

1010141_10152802205671228_1215678932824238146_n.jpg

The result was nothing more than some small scratches on the MC crash guards and a few scrapes on the mirror, due to the severe angle of the drop.

1891144_10152802205826228_2296243242618834152_n.jpg

10411778_10152802205911228_4801803628588891776_n.jpg

10001560_10152802205986228_2927662665703993861_n.jpg

I have since added the sliders to the MC guards to help keep the hwy pegs from making contact.

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

If I had it to do over, I'd buy the t-Rex bag protectors (gen III with the stainless bar) again in a heartbeat. But instead of r&g sliders up front, I'd put the MC police bars up front. There is no substitute.

To each their own. Some think they look ugly, to me a scratched or cracked fairing or saddle bag is worse. I don't regret getting front and back!

To each their own. Some think they look ugly, to me a scratched or cracked fairing or saddle bag is worse. I don't regret getting front and back!