Metzler Z8

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
I had to try a set of Metzler Z8's.

First I have to say I liked them very much and they road and stuck awesome.

I really bite myself in the ass as I left on a trip with about 1600 miles on them. To lazy to spoon the PR2 set I have in stock.

So the knock on Z8 is they had no sipe in the center to give you warning. Well I thought to my eye the Z8 had more/some. I watched them religiously on air pressure and inspected every night of the trip. By dumb luck I found this in Tupelo MS.

belt%201.jpg

belt%202.jpg

I used the FJR Assistance list and got some advice. I was within 3 miles of a big Honda Dealer, at least by Tepelo MS standards.

I had a choice of a Dunlop or a Pilot Power, and I mean a strait Pilot Power not a I or II.

They hooked me up, or I them leaving them 248.00 dollars of my money for a rear tire installed.

Moral of the story:

Do not leave on a 6000 mile trip with 1600 miles on your current tires, especially if you are not sure of the wear pattern they exhibit near end of life. Dont be lazy!

The Z8 is a great tire but needs to run around home, not on a trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they kiss you before or after they screwed you ??? Same happened to me with the "sudden" appearance of center cords on Metzlers. My good

luck I was at a friends bike shop in Belen & they threw a front & rear set of Shinkos on for what you paid for your rear. Shinkos lasted

4500 on rear which ain't bad for me. If someone gave me a set of Metzlers I would promptly sell them for 1/2 of the going price & get

some real tires, they are good tires BUT that one major flaw is one I will not bet my life on, period. As for them asshats at the Honda dealer,

if you have their address go to the library, visit the magazine section & pull out ALL of the mail in/order subscription/ bill me later

post cards you can find. Fill them all out with those asholes name/address, etc. & drop in the mail box.

How many times have we seen a picture of cords showing on what was suspected to be a tire with more life left. Just more proof that Metzler's suck.

I yanked a set of Z8's with 5500 miles on them due to a 3000 miles trip planned. Sucks to know I could have made it

home with a 100 miles to spare. ;)

Like you I thought the Z8 handled great. The RS2's that I used as replacements are okay but the Z8's have spoiled me.

This is what my Metzeler Z8 looked like after 3,011 miles, pressure maintained at 40 to 42 psi but my FJR ridden 2-up all but 200 miles of the life of the tire...best 105 days of riding I've had in a while. I didn't even get to burn this one out!

1348438119428_zps52a20ac8.jpg

I know how you guys feel about the Metzelers, I to headed out on a trip and had no indication of how warn my tire was until I noticed about 350 km away from any place where I could replace it. I was really nervous thinking that it may go at any time. I thought mine was bad but now that I see yours Clocklaw I thinking I could have rode with it on for another season or so...That tire is done!!!

308327771482E8C06.png

I love Z6's, not so much the Z8 with its tread pattern........ on the front..... rear is an Exalto these days. Don't know how you guys burn 'em up in such short mileage, I get 10,000 out of mine riding pretty aggressively at times. Is it those jack-rabbit starts?

I hate to say it, but.............

I TOLD YOU SO.

:p

I don't care how good the tire are. When they surprise you you with metal belts showing with no warning they have *zero* value to me.

YOU sir, are a HOON! And my Hero. :D

And folks around here think *I* am bad! :blink:

This is what my Metzeler Z8 looked like after 3,011 miles, pressure maintained at 40 to 42 psi but my FJR ridden 2-up all but 200 miles of the life of the tire...best 105 days of riding I've had in a while. I didn't even get to burn this one out!

2 up on that? Not impressed at all :angry:

SkooterG you sure did tell us, I just did not listen. If I can not tell end of life on a tire I no longer want it.

I was hauling a passenger in two Helen Two Wheels Bags, a Large and medium. 30 Days worth of on the road stuff.

To the gentleman on the Honda dealers ass, I was very happy for the help and I do not think his labor and price was more then here in PA to change a rear tire. They answered the phone at 7:30 PM on a Monday, let me know they had a tire, and took me at 8:00 AM the next morning. Since I change my own tires yes it hurt but I will not bad mouth them. Of all the money I spent in 6500+ miles it was the best I spent! Karma My Friend. You just do not bite the hand that reaches out to help 1500 miles from home!

Z8 tires are a great running tire, but you can not tell end of life on them.

Now to see how a Pilot Power wears?

You just do not bite the hand that reaches out to help 1500 miles from home!

Now to see how a Pilot Power wears?
First I agree with you about paying for service when you are in a bind. If they are willing to go out of their way to get me back on the road especially knowing I am not a returning customer, I don't mind paying them. On the other hand I don't want to get screwed over either.

In answer to "How a Pilot Power wears": RAPIDLY!

The Pilot Power is a sportbike tire with a very soft compound. It will not last.

One of the major advantages of an FJR over a Honda ST is that you can fit sportbike tire to it if you are in a bind and need to get home. That is exactly what you did. Your money, your trip, you learned, we benefited. Thanks for sharing about the Z8. Thanks to you I don't have to make that mistake for myself.

I think that tire is about as used as anything I have seen. Unlike some of the other pics, you seem to have gotten your money's worth out of the sides of the tire as well as the middle.

I know how you guys feel about the Metzelers, I to headed out on a trip and had no indication of how warn my tire was until I noticed about 350 km away from any place where I could replace it. I was really nervous thinking that it may go at any time. I thought mine was bad but now that I see yours Clocklaw I thinking I could have rode with it on for another season or so...That tire is done!!!

308327771482E8C06.png
Pretty worn in the middle but it looks like you could do another few thou on the sides. Was that a LOT of slabbing or do these wear quickly in the middle (noticed the same on the picture in the original post)? I ran a Z8 front (with a car tire rear) and was not particularly impressed with either handling or longevity.

Switched front and rear to PR3 and so far (4,000 miles) I am pretty pleased with wear and performance.

Ross

I agree completely, I do not recommend doing that to anyone. We were 60 miles from base camp when I noticed that the tire was about done....in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, etc. My wife and I discussed our options and we decided to march on. We rode at "full pucker" to get back to civilization and were fortunate to make it. Last 60 miles we never exceeded 35 mph and probably should have not done that. My point is that the tire didn't provide the life that I was expecting and gave little warning that it was going away until it was gone.

Hoon is a derogatory term used in Australia and New Zealand, to refer to a young person who engages in loutish, anti-social behavior. :black eye:

I agree completely, I do not recommend doing that to anyone. We were 60 miles from base camp when I noticed that the tire was about done....in the middle of nowhere, no cell service, etc. My wife and I discussed our options and we decided to march on. We rode at "full pucker" to get back to civilization and were fortunate to make it. Last 60 miles we never exceeded 35 mph and probably should have not done that. My point is that the tire didn't provide the life that I was expecting and gave little warning that it was going away until it was gone.

Hoon is a derogatory term used in Australia and New Zealand, to refer to a young person who engages in loutish, anti-social behavior. :black eye:
Thanks for the explanation, I understand now you were prudent to get back to mankind. I'm sure those were a nervous 60 miles.

That tire could make for some good bench racing stories ;)

I don't know what you people are doing to your Z8's, but my first set lasted 8k, which is the most I've ever gotten out of a set of tires on this bike. 90% of my riding is slabbing 40 miles a day back and forth to work. On this first set of Z8's the rear still had significant tread left, however, the front was cupped pretty badly, which was causing poor handling and a bit of head shake when decelerating. I bought a second set about 1500 miles ago.

I don't know what you people are doing to your Z8's, but my first set lasted 8k, which is the most I've ever gotten out of a set of tires on this bike. 90% of my riding is slabbing 40 miles a day back and forth to work. On this first set of Z8's the rear still had significant tread left, however, the front was cupped pretty badly, which was causing poor handling and a bit of head shake when decelerating. I bought a second set about 1500 miles ago.
I know what I did to mine, I rode them 8600 miles. I was warned that two states would eat tires, Arkansas, and Utah and they did.

As I said I rode them 8600 miles and loved them

I have no knock on them other then not being able to see end of life.

They are a good riding and running tire.

I know what I did to mine, I rode them 8600 miles. I was warned that two states would eat tires, Arkansas, and Utah and they did.

As I said I rode them 8600 miles and loved them

I have no knock on them other then not being able to see end of life.

They are a good riding and running tire.
Understand, I'm not sure what Ross Kean did to his in 3k miles from the looks of that pic. My mistake, just realized that tire belonged to clocklaw.