Michelin Pilot Road 3's are sublime

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

Got my new tires on yesterday, during this experience I've learned a couple of things. It's hard to find a single 19mm Allen wrench, so i had to buy a pack of them from Harbor Freight. Although their are a couple of tricks out there as to not using this single tool but i chose to buy one.
Too easy, not to.

IMG_2101.jpg

+1 - That is what you call a multi-use tool. :yahoo:

I happen to have one that looks just like it. Even the same brand (Craftsman)

I thought that was the best trick i found for a 19mm, but for some reason i could not find that 5/8 in my slew of tools i have. Maybe one of the kids borrowed it. (Kids) Love em though.

Is any one running the B rated MP3's ?? .. .. Is spending the extra $30 for the B rated worth it? and yes i will spend half of the tire life with my better half on board.
I am one of the few fat bastards on the board, So the added load rating is important to me. So it's worth it from my POV.YMMV. ;)
I'll have you know I am not a bastard(some will dissagree) I'm just fat. :p

Hey Phil, did you have to make an appointment or just rode in and they had the tires and put them on in an hour ,I live on the west side ,I'm due for tires $397.00 seems fair to me.
No appt needed. I would call first though, make sure that they have them in stock. Sorry for my delayed response, been out riding!

Glad to hear the PR3s are working out well. I just ordered a set ($294 delivered from SportBikeTrackGear) I've got 10,000 on my Pirelli Angels, and they still look really good. Only got 5K out of the OEM Bridgestone BT021s. Didn't realize when I bought this bike that tires would be the biggest expense. Thought it would be gas, speeding tickets, and ER bills. :p

Glad to hear the PR3s are working out well. I just ordered a set ($294 delivered from SportBikeTrackGear) I've got 10,000 on my Pirelli Angels, and they still look really good. Only got 5K out of the OEM Bridgestone BT021s. Didn't realize when I bought this bike that tires would be the biggest expense. Thought it would be gas, speeding tickets, and ER bills. :p

$294 ..? Wow .. I payed $370 for a set plus mounting, sounds like you found a great deal. Well i finally got mine scuffed in and besides the new tire syndrome, they still are 1000 times better than the Met z6. I didn't get to use up my last set PR3's (traded the bike in) but i should use these up, I've got a Gazillion miles planned for this summer and fall, now if i just had the time & money Hmmmmm .. :dribble: Any ways I'd love to get 10k out of these tires, will keep you posted.

Here is a interesting review of the Pilot Road 2 vs. Pilot Road 3's. In this review the author found

The steering is noticeably different -- more neutral-feeling -- and much of the nervousness has been banished. The bike now carves confidently through the corners in a single, sweeping line, whereas before it always seemed to need some minor corrections for an oversteer condition.
I found this very interesting because I like the easy to drop into the turn on the Pilot Road 2's. I bought the bike new and it came with Metzler Z6's. The Z6's were required a lot of unwanted counter steer effort compared to the Pilot Road 2's. If the trade of for nervousness is more counter steer then I will take it!

Here is a interesting review of the Pilot Road 2 vs. Pilot Road 3's. In this review the author found

The steering is noticeably different -- more neutral-feeling -- and much of the nervousness has been banished. The bike now carves confidently through the corners in a single, sweeping line, whereas before it always seemed to need some minor corrections for an oversteer condition.
I found this very interesting because I like the easy to drop into the turn on the Pilot Road 2's. I bought the bike new and it came with Metzler Z6's. The Z6's were required a lot of unwanted counter steer effort compared to the Pilot Road 2's. If the trade of for nervousness is more counter steer then I will take it!
My question to that review/comment is if he's comparing a used up PR2 with a new PR3...in which case, that's not a fair comparison

My question to that review/comment is if he's comparing a used up PR2 with a new PR3...in which case, that's not a fair comparison
I guess you'll have to read the review to find out.

I did, wasn't clear to me.

I did, wasn't clear to me.
It seemed clear to me the PR2s were new, broken in delibeerately, and not used up when I read this:

I went on about this in some detail in the Pilot Road 2 review. In fact, it took about 300 miles, a roughing-up with Scotchbrite and a tour through the same gravel roads before previous sets of the Pilot Road 2 tires felt broken in.

That's a handy trick using the 19mm socket. I've also used a 19mm nut and bolt. ;)

I'm going to give the Michelins Pilot POWERS a plug, this is the best tire for handling that I've ever put on my FJR :yahoo: . Time will tell about the mileage but with 2k miles on them so far they still look new.

Rolling resistance is so much lighter feeling that the PR's.

It seemed clear to me the PR2s were new, broken in delibeerately, and not used up when I read this:

I went on about this in some detail in the Pilot Road 2 review. In fact, it took about 300 miles, a roughing-up with Scotchbrite and a tour through the same gravel roads before previous sets of the Pilot Road 2 tires felt broken in.
That's just referring to the break-in procedure he felt he had to take with the PR2, it doesn't say he switched it out for the PR3 shortly thereafter. Granted, the side by side pictures looks like the PR2 has plenty of life left, but that's an assumption.

I just replaced the PR2s at 14,000 miles with a PR3 rear, and a PR2 front. The old front PR2 still was not near the wear bars and probably had another 5,000 miles. The rear was done. So far, I have done a break in ride from Phoenix to Payson, to the rim, to Camp Verde, and back home on the interstate. Tires are working well together. Lots of sweepers and a few 20MPH curves. Great fun.

Hello all,

Here is my update on my PR3's ..

Purchased 4/16 with 31424 miles on the Bike ..

New Tires have .. Front 5/32 .. Rear 8/32 and 7/32 off center.

Today 5/21 .. Bike has 32816 which equals 1392 miles on tires .. and they read Front 4/32 .. Rear 6.5/32 and 5.5/32 off center. (btw running 40 psi)

Now my commute is aprox, 25 miles in town flat land 4 days a week. My Riding terrain consist of Mountains with 60 mph to 10 mph turns, I'm ridding casual not to hard and we ride 2 up about a 3rd of that 13 hundred miles.

The front tire I measure just about dead center. The Rear I measure in the center groove and a little hole, but record groove, and off center .. well just off center.

I'm not thinking I'm going to get 10k out of the Rear due to mostly mountain riding, now i do have a Yellowstone trip planned in mid June, which equals a lot of straight highway riding (2 up) we shall see how they wear. I Really Really love these tires on every aspect, and it would be a bonus if i could get 10k out of them. Now I don't have much of a chicken strip on the rear and it is still round and of course the bike transitions through the turns Wonderfully, and i just don't know what more i can say here other than i hope this info helps someone.

Hello all,

Here is my update on my PR3's ..

Today 5/21 .. Bike has 32816 which equals 1392 miles on tires .. and they read Front 4/32 .. Rear 6.5/32 and 5.5/32 off center. (btw running 40 psi)

Now my commute is aprox, 25 miles in town flat land 4 days a week. My Riding terrain consist of Mountains with 60 mph to 10 mph turns, I'm ridding casual not to hard and we ride 2 up about a 3rd of that 13 hundred miles.

The front tire I measure just about dead center. The Rear I measure in the center groove and a little hole, but record groove, and off center .. well just off center.

I'm not thinking I'm going to get 10k out of the Rear due to mostly mountain riding, now i do have a Yellowstone trip planned in mid June, which equals a lot of straight highway riding (2 up) we shall see how they wear. I Really Really love these tires on every aspect, and it would be a bonus if i could get 10k out of them. Now I don't have much of a chicken strip on the rear and it is still round and of course the bike transitions through the turns Wonderfully, and i just don't know what more i can say here other than i hope this info helps someone.
DSC00083.jpg

This is my front axle removal tool! 3/4 in. bolt with 2 3/4 in. nuts tacked together, mine are welded but Weldbond or similar would work I think?

I just replaced the PR2s at 14,000 miles with a PR3 rear, and a PR2 front. The old front PR2 still was not near the wear bars and probably had another 5,000 miles. The rear was done. So far, I have done a break in ride from Phoenix to Payson, to the rim, to Camp Verde, and back home on the interstate. Tires are working well together. Lots of sweepers and a few 20MPH curves. Great fun.
OK, I know I'm probably stripping line off your Zebco, but if you are OK with running a mismatched set of tires, why replace the front when it has 5k miles left on it? :unsure:

40 psi is too low for the back, especially if you want to get 10k miles. You'll need to run at least 42 psi rear (and also not be too aggressive on the sides) to get that kind of mileage.

And yes, 2 psi makes a big difference in the tire heat, and therefore wear.

OK, I know I'm probably stripping line off your Zebco, but if you are OK with running a mismatched set of tires, why replace the front when it has 5k miles left on it? :unsure:

I replaced the front in spite of the mileage that remained, but it had lost its roundness after 14,000 miles. Also, I wanted to get a good feel for how this set behaved together. So far, so good. More later.

40 psi is too low for the back, especially if you want to get 10k miles. You'll need to run at least 42 psi rear (and also not be too aggressive on the sides) to get that kind of mileage.

And yes, 2 psi makes a big difference in the tire heat, and therefore wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought that was the best trick i found for a 19mm, but for some reason i could not find that 5/8 in my slew of tools i have. Maybe one of the kids borrowed it. (Kids) Love em though.
Just for the record in case anybody is wondering, 19 mm is just a hair under 3/4 inch, which happens to be the size of the hex end of your typical 5/8 " spark plug socket.

Gary

darksider #44

Depending on your weight, whether or not you carry a passenger,your riding style, what part of the country you live in, what type of road surface you normally ride on, what PSI you inflate your tires to and how often you check it..... any tire available will be the best tire that's ever been on your bike. :yahoo:

Do a search and you'll see that I probably would have gotten 20,000 from a set of PR3s had I not changed them in preparation for another 10,000+ mile trip in June.

PR3s ARE THE MOST PERFECT TIRE EVER MANUFACTURED FOR ANY FJR1300. :D

Last edited by a moderator: