Michelin Pilot Road 3's are sublime

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, and people think *I* am crazy! How long were you riding on that front with belts showing????

it looks worse than the reality, it happened on the way home and the next stop was to get them changed. Although I guess that's 15-16 miles or so.

Still, it always catches me by surprise. I've had that happen on nearly all the PRs (like 10 sets I think). I always hope I can make it to the next 4k service, and rarely do.

I am liking the Continentals so far though, not as sticky as the PR2s, but very solid tire. My guess is they won't last any longer, but it is pretty hard to complain about living in the twisties.
I understand that you religiously check them, but at what pressures? Running at lower pressures does make them stick better, but also accelerates wear, on the sides or the middle.

too bad they don't make a "reverse" dual compound for you...harder (longer lasting) tread on the edges, and softer stuff in the middle...seems like you'd at least get more even wear with something like that :lol:
Yeah, I see your laughing emoticon, so I know you were just goofing. Obvioulsy nobody would buy tires with less grip on the sides.

But it does raise the point that, if you are wearing out the sides of your tires like topanga, it might make more sense to run less expensive single compound tires with a similar compound to the sides of the PR's rather than pay the premium for the hard center stripe. You're kind'a getting ripped off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I see your laughing emoticon, so I know you were just goofing. Obvioulsy nobody would buy tires with less grip on the sides.

But it does raise the point that, if you are wearing out the sides of your tires like topanga, it might make more sense to run less expensive single compound tires with a similar compound to the sides of the PR's rather than pay the premium for the hard center stripe. You're kind'a getting ripped off.

I usually run 40-42psi on the front, depends. In any case that was my point - that if you are primarily a flatlander it's pretty obvious these tires can get exceptional miles. But if not, it may be wise to look elsewhere or at least understand they won't last quite that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
My rear PR3 is done at 7,000 miles. Not happy at all. Love the ride and how they handle but not with the mileage. I am a conservative rider and dont abuse the rear. Looking fast and hard for a replacement. Might go back to the PR2. It did give me about 10,000 miles. Leaning towards the Avon ST. Gotta decide in the next days or 2.

25 mile daily commute through Topanga Canyon. Can't be bad. Beats my daily run on I90-I405-Hwy 520 between Mercer Island and Redmond. Lots of slab with one nice uphill left I90 - I405 merge and a right hand S-turn to the 520. Maybe 20 seconds of a 15 - 20 minute ride. Still beats driving that route in a car though.

My rear PR3 is done at 7,000 miles. Not happy at all. Love the ride and how they handle but not with the mileage. I am a conservative rider and dont abuse the rear. Looking fast and hard for a replacement. Might go back to the PR2. It did give me about 10,000 miles. Leaning towards the Avon ST. Gotta decide in the next days or 2.
Have you ever had a problem with traction with the PR3 in 7000 miles that you have had it on the bike? Sure does seem that 7000 miles is more that acceptable to me out of a rear on a heavy bike like the FJR. Lets just say that you can find a rear tire that will last 10,000+ miles. Lets just say that at 9,999 miles you go around a corner and that heat cycled tire lets go and you happen to go down. Was that extra milage you got out of the tire worth it? I would say no. A tire that has the grip of the PR3 and will last 7000 miles has done everything you can ask for a tire to to. MY 2 cents.

Have you ever had a problem with traction with the PR3 in 7000 miles that you have had it on the bike? Sure does seem that 7000 miles is more that acceptable to me out of a rear on a heavy bike like the FJR. Lets just say that you can find a rear tire that will last 10,000+ miles. Lets just say that at 9,999 miles you go around a corner and that heat cycled tire lets go and you happen to go down. Was that extra milage you got out of the tire worth it? I would say no. A tire that has the grip of the PR3 and will last 7000 miles has done everything you can ask for a tire to to. MY 2 cents.
If you get a great grip out of a cheaper tire, then that tire is the one I would choose...not the more expensive one. Just seem to be getting mixed mileage results from the PR3, where some owners are reporting higher mileage out of their previously used PR2s than their subsequently used PR3s. Some are not, but some are.

I wouldn't buy a more expensive Michelin tire, if a less expensive Michelin tire does a grwat job for you already.

Personally, I wish I could get a report as to whether the RS2 tire gets more mileage that the regular RS tire.

If you get a great grip out of a cheaper tire, then that tire is the one I would choose...not the more expensive one. Just seem to be getting mixed mileage results from the PR3, where some owners are reporting higher mileage out of their previously used PR2s than their subsequently used PR3s. Some are not, but some are.

I wouldn't buy a more expensive Michelin tire, if a less expensive Michelin tire does a grwat job for you already.

Personally, I wish I could get a report as to whether the RS2 tire gets more mileage that the regular RS tire.
Hey Wheatie, hard to expect such a report.(and be valid) In my expereance I got very differant miledge out of the same brand rear tires, as little as 4K and as high as 9.5K. All though the average could very slightly with some brands of tires.

This is what one of our regular tyre munchers thought of the Roadsmart 2

"Hi Tim.

They were crap. There is another post about them somewhere.

The front was wearing much the same as the old BT021 did, and the rear was full of cuts.

The final straw came when I punctured the front. It was stepped and wearing horribly.

I took them off about halfway through their lifespan and replaced them with a set of BT023GTs which has transformed the bike. The Yamaha bike shop who did the tyre change for me said he's had lots of them back the same.

This is my third set of 023GTs they last well, handle good in the dry but can let go in the wet. Which is why I put roadsmarts on in November for the winter.

The old roadsmarts were good but I can't recommend the roadsmart 2s on an FJR. They may be fine on a lighter bike.

Mark."

Hey Wheatie, hard to expect such a report.(and be valid) In my expereance I got very differant miledge out of the same brand rear tires, as little as 4K and as high as 9.5K. All though the average could very slightly with some brands of tires.
Yeah...if your tires vary that much I would agree. 99% of the time, my bike gets used for longer trips, 2 days to 2 weeks, and the mileage tends to average out more. I get about 7k per tire on PR2s...I get less on RS tires.

It sounds like from another post and the post below that the RS2 is not an answer...and that Dunlop shit the bed.

"Hi Tim.

The front was wearing much the same as the old BT021 did, and the rear was full of cuts.

The final straw came when I punctured the front. It was stepped and wearing horribly.

I took them off about halfway through their lifespan and replaced them with a set of BT023GTs which has transformed the bike. The Yamaha bike shop who did the tyre change for me said he's had lots of them back the same.

This is my third set of 023GTs they last well, handle good in the dry but can let go in the wet. Which is why I put roadsmarts on in November for the winter.

The old roadsmarts were good but I can't recommend the roadsmart 2s on an FJR. They may be fine on a lighter bike.

Mark."
Thanks for the report. I won't be sniffing around RS2s anymore then. It looks like either PR2s for me (as I don't wanna pay extra for the PR3s) or a RS rear with a sport tire up front if I am wicking it up and don't mind the shorter tire changer interval.

(In other words, most of the time, using PR2s and playing nice out there.)

:(

Yeah...if your tires vary that much I would agree. 99% of the time, my bike gets used for longer trips, 2 days to 2 weeks, and the mileage tends to average out more. I get about 7k per tire on PR2s...I get less on RS tires.

It sounds like from another post and the post below that the RS2 is not an answer...and that Dunlop shit the bed.

"Hi Tim.

Mark."
Thanks for the report. I won't be sniffing around RS2s anymore then. It looks like either PR2s for me (as I don't wanna pay extra for the PR3s) or a RS rear with a sport tire up front if I am wicking it up and don't mind the shorter tire changer interval.

(In other words, most of the time, using PR2s and playing nice out there.)

:(
You're gonna base your opinion on ONE report? Hell if that were the case no oil, tires, batteries, seats, or windshield's discussed here could ever be put on a bike; because there's always one post claiming that product "x" is shit.

You're gonna base your opinion on ONE report? Hell if that were the case no oil, tires, batteries, seats, or windshield's discussed here could ever be put on a bike; because there's always one post claiming that product "x" is shit.
No, if you read my post, there was another report by someone else that said the same thing. 2 for 2.

...and that's ALL that I've found out there. So my interest in them has come and gone. Until a bunch of people post up positive reports on this RS2, I ain't interested.

I agree that on this board, if there are 3 possible views on a topic, a fourth will be discovered and proclaimed correct. However, after waiting for a good while on positive reports on these tires, none are to be found from members on this board.

Update .. I have about 6k on PR3s, my rear is past the wear bars and starting to get smooth. Note right side worse than left, because of 375 miles through Wyoming with a 50+ mph wind pushing us on the right side. And of course it didn't matter what direction we traveled we were leaned over most of the day.

Anyways, front is almost to wear bars. I'd liked to have gotten 10k, But .. not gonna happen with my riding area here in Colorado, plus it was a hot summer.

I will say i am looking at trying the PR2's on the rear this go around and may stick with the PR3's up front. All N All Very happy with the tires !! they did Everything i asked them to do except live longer. BTW .. they did pritty good with 2 inches of Hail on the road one afternoon up the Poudre Canyon ( that was Fun ).

Thats all i got for now, Take Care All.