Mileage on pr2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don2334

Reaction score
My rear pr2 has over 11,000 miles on it. It still looks good but I am heading to NAFO next week so I am taking it in tomorow for a new one. Is 11,000 miles high for this tire or am I worrying about nothing? I am not an aggressive rider and the tread is still just above the wear indicators.

Don

11,000+ is a very good life for a tire on a FJR hope mine last that long. Good plan to change it... otherwise you may be looking for a tire on your trip.

I would say you're doing well at 11,000 miles. You will probably notice an improvement in handling when you put the new tire on. Somewhat depends on the condition of your front tire.

Yeah you got lucky with that one, the way I ride I'm lucky to see 8K

Whatever. I got 19k out of my PR2 rear. Lots of variables to tire wear.

So the question for the you, the OP, is exactly how much tread did you have left? THAT will give you an idea how many more mile you had left to go.

I'm lucky to get 8K out of the rear and 11K out of the front. There are a lot of variables involved but the right wrist has a lot to do with it...

I guess if you live somewhere there aren't corners to carve you'll get some life out of a PR2. Those of us that grind pegs wear 'em out.

Scooter has the right answer, how many miles you have left in a tire depends on how much rubber is still on it. However, some road surfaces wear tires faster than others and you are planning to ride to NAFO where you don't know what the roads are like, so swapping in a new set of tires is the prudent thing to do.

I just put a new set of PR3s on for the trip tp NAFO even though I only had 4k on the set I had on and they looked almost as good as new. For me it's easy because I have two sets of wheels, so the old set will go back on later this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
my last pr2...don't let this happen to you in the middle of nowhere away from home

the outer wear bars are just fine on the 1st below and worse...

I didn't take the time to check the toasted 2 sets of inner wear bars...you can tell I live in flat land Looziana and ride 75% slab...only occassionally do I turn the bike

15k mi

6290524248_cc030ac8cc.jpg

18k mi

5470424046_fb941cbcd8.jpg

16k mi

4730877418_9bfb742c26.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo's. The help a lot. I went to drop the bike off at the stealer last night and they had sold the same tire to two people and I was #2. They ordered a tire and think it will be here on Tuesday. I left the bike anyway so they can service it but now I am without it all weekend. It's my own fault for waiting until the last minute.

Don

Thanks for posting the photo's. The help a lot. I went to drop the bike off at the stealer last night and they had sold the same tire to two people and I was #2. They ordered a tire and think it will be here on Tuesday. I left the bike anyway so they can service it but now I am without it all weekend. It's my own fault for waiting until the last minute.

Don
Good decision. It's not worth risking the investment of time and money for a good road trip on an iffy set of tires. I've made the wrong choice before. Never again.

Don
very welcome

I chose to keep a set of tires purchased mail order in the garage at all times

there is a local friend who will mount my tires the same day I bring him the wheel off the bike

for $20

I had to get a new tire to replace my 4000 mi., cupped, front PR2 tire in Durango, COLO. on the Kyle Petty X country Charity ride. Vibration Above 90mph .Likely 38psi is not enough (43psi better?)and balance was out 1/2 oz.Bummer! Dunlop was all they had .PS3's later perhaps?

Bill P

I had to get a new tire to replace my 4000 mi., cupped, front PR2 tire in Durango, COLO. on the Kyle Petty X country Charity ride. Vibration Above 90mph .Likely 38psi is not enough (43psi better?)and balance was out 1/2 oz.Bummer! Dunlop was all they had .PS3's later perhaps?

Bill P
Just finished a 5600+ mile trip Florida to CA and back on my PR2's. Both tires look great but I'd say about 50% toward their end. So I'm happy with them but will consider PR3's next time. A friend has PR3's on his BMW 1200, at 13,000 miles they look good for another 2000 or more.

Bill