Minneapolis Bridge I35 W over Mississppi collapses

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSFJR

Reaction score
Are you Minneapolis guys OK. Bridge leads to Univ. Of Minnesota. What about you Radman?

Good luck to all of you.

Chester

I drove over it more than once today, the last time shortly before the collapse.

Don't know anything yet about the identities of the victims...............

Shane

Yep,

Very sad to think that a bridge of that size would just collapse during Bumper to Bumper rush hour. Some reporting 9 comfirmed dead and 20+ missing....

Thoughts and Prayers Needed....

WW

My prayers go out to the victims, very sad and almost unbelievable.

I just received this email from an engineer at work.

"A University of Minnesota Civil Engineer in a report to MN-DOT recently noted that this bridge is considered to be a non-redundant structure. That is, if any one member fails, the entire bridge can collapse. A key factor is that there are only four pylons holding up the arch. Any damage to any one pylon would be catastropic. The textbook example of a non-redundant bridge is the Silver Bridge over the Ohio River. It failed shortly before Christmas in 1967 resulting in 46 deaths. A single piece of hardware failed due to a tiny manufacturing defect. But that piece was non-redundant, and the entire bridge collapsed into the icy river. Today, bridge engineers design bridges so that any single piece of the bridge can fail without causing the entire bridge to collapse. It is tragic that the I-35W bridge was built a few years too early to benefit from that lesson."

the above is an excerpt from

https://www.johnweeks.com/bridges/pages/ms16.html

OK i've finally heard from all of my friends and family up there. all accounted for!

my biggest worry was my buddy Tim who lives in Minneapolis and works in Roseville. Takes 35W back and forth everyday. But he got off work and drove over it about an hour before it happen. :scare2:

this just seems so unbelievable. and very very sad.

Hello all,

Well the damage at the bridge scene here is very very amazing, spectacular, scarey and very very sad all together.... Here is a link to some

pics on scene of the collapse. :cry: :cry: :cry:

https://www.conphoto.net/collapse.html

At least the missing people counts have been reduced...

WW

Daughter, Was attending a conference in St. Paul when the bridge went down. The three hours we spent trying to contact her is the new worst time of my life.