Minnesotans in Arkansas - 2012 Edition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwollenRaccoon

Reaction score
Well, let's get this over with first. On the last full day of our 2012 Arkansas trip, on the last loop we were riding before returning to the motel, I fell down. It was on Arkansas 123, on a 10 mph downhill left-hand switchback. If you've been on that road, you know exactly what I'm describing. I was paying particular attention to lane position, not wanting to crowd the centerline on a blind corner. I wasn't out at the white line, but I was in the middle of the lane. As I came out of the corner, slowly (you can't take these corners any other way), I was in the outside tire track, probably 18 to 22 inches from the white line.

Wham! What the hell is happening? Ouch! Hey, what am I doing on the ground? No warning, no "Oh, sh*t" moment. The front tire had washed out, and I hit the ground before I even knew what happened. I hit the ground with my hands on the grips and feet on the pegs. The bike slid on its' left side, with the tires facing downhill, an 11% grade. As it slowed, it tipped downhill enough for the tires to touch the road, so it flipped on to its' right side, just to even out the damage. Both mirrors toast, both saddlebags scraped up, a slightly bent footpeg, left engine case badly ground down, and both upper fairing pieces scratched up. And yes, the fairing stay is bent. (New parts start arriving today). Walking back to where it fell, just at the corner exit, I found the scuff mark where the front tire had slid. It looked exactly the same as the pavement around it, but when I dragged my foot over the pavement, much of the chip seal stone was loose. We had ridden that stretch of road three times in the last three days, and never had an indication that it was loose.

My riding gear had done its' job. A tiny, half-inch long, shallow scrape on my Shoei helmet, a scuff on the outer shoulder pad of my Cortech jacket, scuffs on the top/side of my left Daytona boot, which had been under the bike and on the peg when I hit, and my Tourmaster pant leg worn through the fabric, to the knee pad, on the left knee. Not a mark on me. The only pain is in my left shoulder, which I had already scheduled surgery for the first week of June. It now hurt more than before. We'll never know, but maybe without the previous considerable damage to my shoulder, maybe I wouldn't have hurt that at all. Any way, both motorcycle and pilot were fine to continue. Not as pretty or proud as previously, but we made it back to Minnesota just fine.

Here's a picture of the left pant leg.

DSC02045.jpg

Now that we got done with that nonsense, let's concentrate on the rest of the trip, from the start, which was fabulous. We left Saturday morning, about 7AM, from Jason's place in Kasson. Jason has an 08 FJR like mine, and is a world-class rider, on pavement or off. He's been riding since he was pulled off his mother's chest. We have done several track days together, and literally tens of thousands of miles together on the road. I trust his riding instincts implicitly, and he rides at a perfect pace for the Swollen Raccoon Racing Team®. The other rider on this trip (as in 2011), was John, or JJ. He rides a 2003 (or 2004? I forget) V-Strom 1000, and he rides it better and harder than any V-Strom on the continent. I will stand by that opinion until I see it disproven, or until someone buys me a cold adult beverage to sway my opinion. However, about five years ago, he had to have a hip replaced, so is incapable of sitting in the saddle for a 675-mile day. He towed his bike down on a trailer to Harrison, and had cold bevvies waiting for us when Jason and I pulled into the motel parking lot. A wonderful guy. I work with both of these guys, (JJ is a master machinist/toolmaker, and young Jason is a master degreed mechanical engineer), and riding with them is an honor of which I am unworthy. Nevertheless, they let me tag along.

Here's Jason, on our first stop in Ames. He looks as sharp as a fuzzy new tennis ball.

Arkansas2012004.jpg

On the way down, we once again had to stop for lunch at Arthur Bryant's, in Kansas City. Jason got the burnt ends and sausage, and I got the turkey and sausage. Amazingly good. The line was 12 or 15 people out the door, a 40 minute wait.

Arkansas2012005.jpg

The grub.

Arkansas2012006.jpg

JJ in the Harrison Days Inn parking lot, inspecting the machinery.

Arkansas2012024.jpg

Sunday, late morning, we headed down to Jasper, and on to 123, one of my all-time favorite roads. Don't tell Petey. I told him I wouldn't divulge his favorite roads, but it's pretty hard to hide, with these pictures. Even Bust would figure it out, given enough time.

Jason.

Arkansas2012008.jpg

JJ.

Arkansas2012010.jpg

At the now-closed Hankin Country Store.

Arkansas2012028.jpg

And at the one-lane bridge on 123.

Arkansas2012011.jpg

Jason at the scenic overlook on 103, south of Oark.

Arkansas2012016.jpg

JJ, same spot.

Arkansas2012017.jpg

And one more doofus.

Arkansas2012018.jpg

The Oark Store, in downtown Oark.

Arkansas2012015.jpg

Jason, contemplating intake options, at the Oark Store.

Arkansas2012037.jpg

The Texas burger; big slab of beef, provelone cheese, and barbecue sauce. A winner.

Arkansas2012001.jpg

Due to previous threats from Petey, I won't divulge all the roads we took, but almost every one was fantastic. As most of you know, 341, Push Mountain Road, is a thing of almost mystical sensuality, twisting, curving, flowing just right. Perfection in pavement. We ran it up and back, then headed over to Melbourne for lunch. I should clarify.....this was on Monday. We had lunch at American Burger Center. Fabulous, and I highly recommend it. Sorry, no pictures, but we all noted that we need to eat there again.

Monday night, we stayed at The Cliff House, south of Jasper on 7. Mike and Becky are great hosts, and we enjoyed our stay there, as we did last year.

Here's Jason and JJ outside our room (The Suite) at the Cliff House. It's in a dry county, but due to expert preparation, this particular corner of the county was NOT dry.

Arkansas2012030.jpg

The view from the deck.

Arkansas2012031.jpg

The mighty steed, several hours before cosmetic alterations.

Arkansas2012036.jpg

One last photo. I don't recall where this was taken, but I'm sure one or more of you know, and will educate me accordingly.

Arkansas2012022.jpg

JJ had to head home a day early, due to the V-Strom acting up. We first thought it was bad gas, but ruled that out after a couple refills. It's gotta be something electrical. Very intermittent, and runs good for a while, then pops and surges like a rodeo bull.

Jason and I headed back home Wednesday morning. We stopped for lunch in Kansas City again, this time at Oklahoma Joe's Barbecue. Oh-oh, we may have a new favorite. Oh my. I got the Z-Man brisket sandwich, which had pepperjack cheese and two delicious onion rings on it. Fabulous. Jason was smart enough (until we got back on the bikes, with 450 miles yet to go), to get a full rack of ribs. He gave me a couple. Boioioinnnngggg. Best ribs I've ever had. I know most of you have probably had more ribs in more places than I have, but these are amazing, in my limited experience. Smoked and cooked dry, with no sauce added, which is how I like them. Containers of sauce at each table, so you can mix/add as you see fit. But really, these ribs didn't even need any. Thick, meaty, tender, not too crusty. My goodness. Anthony Bourdain, the chef from the Travel Channel, is quoted as saying this is one of the thirteen places in the world you have to eat before you die. I'm not a world traveler, but he is. I believe him. Hope I don't die before I get another chance to go there.

Arrived home after just a hair under 12 hours, with 677 miles for the day. About 2,350 miles for the five days. A trip worth remembering, and one I hope to repeat. Well, except for the 15 mph impact with the pavement. I hate stopping for pictures when I'm out riding, so the content is lacking, but northwest Arkansas is a very beautiful part of the country. Thanks for reading my average, pedestrian, mediocre ride report. Let the ripping begin....

Raccoon, sorry to hear about your get off :( but very glad you're ok and able to continue with your trip. :dance:

Get that feej all fixed up and plan your next trip... :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos on the RR. Great trip.

No ripping from me...I know exactly where your bike slipped on you. We had fun traversing that in the rain one year. :dribble:

Sorry for the get off. I know the spot exactly and saw someone go down there last October in one of 3 passes we had made on that road over a couple of days.

Thanks for the great pictures and the RR. Very enjoyable!!

Get the Feej patched up and get the next trip planned. :)

2,350 in 5 days-very nice! With all the grazing you guys were doing it's hard to believe you found time to ride :eek: .

Looks like Jason had the perfect parts bike ;) , at least you were not carried away from the get off.

Thanks for the pictures, someday I'd like to get over to Ark and check out the hills.

Great report SwollenRaccoon! Loved the view from the Cliff House Suite - that was SWEET! Sorry to hear of the get off - too bad you can't get it repaired in time to get back to the Ozarks for SFO next week! :D

Thanks for sharing Scott. Did you think the frame sliders helped? Also, what speeds are typical on roads like 123, etc down there ... you kinda know how I like to ride the bike so I'm looking to decide which windshield. It's going to be hot so I think I'm going to throw the stock shield on, it flows a lot air but I don't like it much above 75

Nice writeup, however did I miss pictures of the modified FJR? Sucks that happened. I recall last fall chasing a very fast FJR down that particular road but we made it through with huge grins on our faces and nary a slip. Maybe we were going the other way?

I can't wait to get back up there, love it.

Thanks for sharing Scott. Did you think the frame sliders helped? Also, what speeds are typical on roads like 123, etc down there ... you kinda know how I like to ride the bike so I'm looking to decide which windshield. It's going to be hot so I think I'm going to throw the stock shield on, it flows a lot air but I don't like it much above 75

Yeah, Matt, the left frame slider looks like a shredded mushroom, and kept the big side plastic off the ground. Not a mark on those. They didn't keep the engine case off the pavement, however, and a 15 mph slide really removed a lot of material. I think I will put added protection on that particular spot when I'm done putting new parts on. The parts arrived yesterday, and I had a few minutes last night, so I replaced the footpeg, just to feel like I got it started. (I go in for shoulder surgery tomorrow morning, so I didn't want to tear into the bigger stuff yet).

As far as your windshield, I guess since you're trailering down, if it was me, I'd put your stock one back on. That's what's fun about most of those roads; you can be going 50 to 75 mph and have a riot. No need to do three digits to make it exciting. Also, gas up when you get the chance. In a few spots, you're quite a ways from fuel, and some of those "towns" on the map aren't really towns anymore. As far as food, eat at the American Burger Center (pretty sure that's what it's called) if you're in Melbourne, and at the Oark General Store in Oark. I'm envious. I wish I was going back again right now.

I will try to remember to take some pictures of the damaged parts as I remove them from the bike. I didn't take any pictures of the saddlebags before I dropped them off at the painter, but the sides were scraped up pretty bad, including a little bit of melting.

And GixxerJasen, yeah, we ran that road 3 times earlier, and never had an issue. As a matter of fact, other than my front-end slide, I never saw any of us three put a wheel wrong all three days of riding there. No blown lines, squared off corners, or "Oh shit!" moments. We were all in the groove, at a very refreshing pace.

On a side note......that picture of Jason and JJ on the bridge on 123.....you can see a bike in the background starting across the bridge behind us. Well, at lunch that day, we saw him and his bike. Guy all in leather, riding a very nice Triumph Speed Triple. He followed us on our way up to Oark, on 103, and acted like he wanted to play. We got into some of the fun stuff, and all of a sudden, he's quite a ways back. He was catching up to us when the road straightened out a little, but every time it got technical, for some reason, he kept getting farther and farther behind, and must have eventually given up. Maybe his tires were bad, or his bike had a handling issue. ;) I know it means absolutely nothing, but it's nice to know that the FJR is a pretty capable machine for a big comfortable bike.

Thanks for reading my report, and for all the nice comments. Matt, I expect a report when you get back! Have a blast!

If you are stopping at the Oark General Store, make sure you have their signature Buttermilk Pie. They run out fast because they are so darn good. I managed the last slice when I was there in the fall.

Yea, an FJR is no slouch. I'd been thinking about an FJR for a long time. It wasn't until Harold blasted by me and another FZ1, because we were holding him up, and I had to work my arse off to catch up and stay with him, that I realized that an FJR will go as fast as I've ever gone on public roads. Thank goodness for that pickup truck though, not for him, Harold would have kept me at bay. He saw me coming and was working to keep me off him, and I got within about two turns from him and couldn't close the gap till the truck pushed things in my favor. Once we got around him it was all smiles though! And that was on 123. :D

Now if the FJR only had some ground clearance, you could really rail that thing! :clapping:

:D

Sounds like a fun trip...besides the slide. Get better soon and get back down there and do it again. :yahoo:

Sorry to hear about the slide. My wife and I are heading to Eureka Springs, AK in two weeks. Going to show off my new to me FJR at the COG National Rally. I still have a lot of good friends in the group and there are plenty of the folks riding other machines. Plenty of FJRs in the group.Np one gives you any crap about not riding their prefered bike. Actually,I still have a 2001 Concours in the garage. I haven't riden it in the last month, put it's in there, ready to go.

I'll make sure I watch for the loose chip seal. I hate that stuff.

Just got back from there. Roads were great but damn it was hot 96 degrees everyday. Just keep moving... Now I know what 123 was like and I know exactly what corner you had your skid Scott. We only did 123 going uphill, and took other roads back up to Harrison where we were staying. Had a great time, 1500 miles in 4 days there, almost all twisty!

Highway 16 on a weekday you'll have 60 miles of twisties to yourself. No traffic.