Missouri to Folsom for a Wedding

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonman

Reaction score
The following ride report is for a ride I did last May 2010. My life has been a whirlwind of events since this trip some good some bad. It wasn't until the New Years Holiday and I caught the flu that I finally was able to sit down and write this long overdue ride report.

I hope you enjoy it.

THE WIND

The morning was clear and reasonably warm for early May but a cold front on the western edge of the state would soon change that.

100_0740.jpg

I gassed up and headed north on W along the Big River to I44, Hwy W was patchy with thick curtains of fog coming down off the bluff and out onto the flood plain. In no time I was punching the left turn signal for THE turn west and making the jump to light speed, well ok 70mph but I got there real quick.

I44 to the Oklahoma state line was quick efficient and otherwise uneventful as the interstates always are. I finally ran into the approaching cold front just south of Springfield, MO. That’s when the wind swung around to the north and it started to drizzle. Once in Oklahoma 44 turns into a toll road which can be a real pain in the ass when you are all suited up and wearing gloves but I had planned for it and moved through each donation station quickly.

Saw this at a Git-n-Go in Claremore not real sure what the hell it’s supposed to mean. Kind of disturbing really.

100_0741.jpg

I slipped through Oklahoma City without any problems. The skies were clearing a little but the north wind was getting cold and gusty (little did I know at the time that I would be getting my ass kicked by the wind nearly every day of this trip).

I was quite surprised to see the Wichita “Mountains” outside Lawton. I didn’t know there were any hills in Oklahoma.

100_0742.jpg

A construction zone in Lawton moved my exit and I was already past it when the zumo told me to pull off. It took a lot of jockeying around during the evening rush to get back to old US 62. I got one thing to say about Lawton “stay the F___ away” if you are on a bike. I was targeted and almost killed by no less than half a dozen young female cage drivers. My apologies to anyone from there but it was not fun.

The hours of daylight this early in the year were starting to work against me and with over 170 miles to my intended campsite I needed to make time. I stopped in Memphis, Texas for my last gas stop of the day and to pick up some items for dinner. That’s when the clerk at the gas station informed me that I was in a dry county but if I wanted I could go one county over only about 60 miles or so, one way, in the wrong direction. I decided to forgo the cold ones this day and get on to Caprock Canyon State Park before it got dark.

Caprock Canyon

P5080005.jpg

Caprock Canyon is a nice park but the road in is long and slow and the only pay station is at the entrance. If the park is full and you have to camp in the very back you will burn up a lot of time picking a spot and paying for it. I ended up setting up camp in the dark. I was cold and tired. My Jetboil was not cooperating “gonna have to get a new one I guess” and after 770 windy miles I was done for the day. “Hopefully the wind will die down some tomorrow” I said that a lot on this trip.

The next morning after a quick shower I was on the road heading for Big Bend NP. Much to my chagrin the gusty north cross wind from yesterday had turned to the east and was now a gusty east cross wind. Well at least the sides of my tires will wear evenly.

The pan handle of Texas is one wide open place.

100_0745.jpg

100_0746.jpg

Don’t let that lure you into a state of inattention because there are still hazards out there trying to take you out.

100_0743.jpg

That brings up a good point, I don’t have any pics but be warned the state of Texas is infested with deer; they are everywhere day and night. I need to give Ted Nugent a call and see if there is something he can do because they all must die.

The ride south from the pan handle to Big Bend was cold and windy and really wore me out. When I got to Marathon the wind finally died down and the temperature started to rise.

The gray skies and hazy conditions gave the desert a surreal look and feel that coupled with fatigue kind of made time stand still while I passed through this parched land.

P5080006.jpg

Finally! I reach my first major destination.

P5080011.jpg

I checked in at the park office and got info about the Chisos Basin Campground in the center of the park. The attractive blue eyed blond park ranger, who had a sexy accent made my knees about give out when she said Chisos pronounced “cheesos”. There is just something about a gal with an accent.

I headed up into the mountains to pick out a campsite.

100_0771.jpg

100_0776.jpg

The campground was not full but it was busy, May is the tail end of the busy season at Big Bend.

This would be home for the next two nights.

P5080013.jpg

P5080021.jpg

P5080024.jpg

I slept very well till about 1am that’s when a lightning storm rolled in and shook me awake. Now living in the Midwest I am very accustomed to lightning storms but I have NEVER seen or heard lightning like this. With the arid environment and the basin being a few thousand feet above the surrounding desert the lightning seemed supercharged. I got out of my tent and went to the bathroom building and waited for it to settle down a little. As my luck would have it when it did settle down and I would lay back down it would start all over again so sleep was hard to come by. The weird part is it never rained. It was beautiful but scared the pudding out of me.

The next morning I set out to explore this new corner of my world.

100_0787.jpg

100_0791.jpg

100_0797.jpg

100_0793.jpg

100_0825.jpg

Too bad the speed limits are so slow in national parks cause this little stretch begs to be ridden at mach FJR speed

100_0849.jpg

However one of these would take the fun right out of it.

100_0860.jpg

The temperature down here by the river was 102F the warmest I would see on this trip.

Santa Elena canyon, left side Mexico, right side USA.

P5090056.jpg

So ends my last day in Big Bend I will have to come back on a Tenere and explore the hundreds of miles of dirt roads that stretch across the park.

P5090079.jpg

P5090081.jpg

P5090082.jpg

100_0864.jpg

No storms this evening but I did have a skunk walk up on me while I was sitting at the picnic table. I didn’t see it till it was within arm’s reach rummaging through my trash bag. This brought about an interesting dilemma. How do you shoo away a skunk that is not afraid of you? Turned out there was nothing of value in my trash bag and he was off to the next camp site. That coulda sucked. Hard!

The next day I was up early hungry for adventure. I was shooting for a NF camp in the Apache National Forest in eastern Arizona and had 600 miles to cover to get there. For breakfast I was gonna get to ride Texas 170 along the Rio Grande to Presidio.

170 is a cool motorcycle road but it’ll ruin your day if you get too relaxed.

100_0872.jpg

100_0877.jpg

Once I started heading north out of Presidio I was once again met with my old friend the wind. Now it was coming out of the west. This time it was getting serious and the 600 miles I put in today were some of the toughest I’ve done yet. Of course that was until the next day.

Interstate 10 from Van Horn to El Paso was fast not because I rode it that way but because the speed limit is 80mph. The wind gusts were so strong to go any faster would have been silly it was everything I could do to stay in my lane.

El Paso is a trip, on the right side of the highway all the opulence and modernization America has to offer, on the left side utter poverty. No political discussions please just making an observation.

The Morenci Copper Mine in eastern Arizona is mind blowing. US 191 cuts right through it. It’s hard to wrap your mind around how big this thing really is. Check it out on Google earth you can see it from space.

100_0903.jpg

US 191 north of the mine is a narrow twisty deadly road that deserves respect and me being pretty well worn out, it had mine.

100_0909.jpg

I found the NF camp right where the zumo said it would be, a nice place tucked in along 191. As luck would have it I was the only one there. It was too early in the season for the water to be turned on but I had what I needed.

100_0911.jpg

I slept very well this night after I straightened out an issue with my Discover Card. I’ll just say this if you call your credit card company before a trip to inform them your leaving town make sure they know you will be traveling by motorcycle and make sure they notify their fraud prevention dept. I had to do 191 in the dark back to a point of cellular reception, I wasn’t pleased and I let them know it. Lesson learned.

The next morning was bright, clear, and chilly.

P5110112.jpg

P5110111.jpg

US 191 is a great road I’ve ridden several sections over the years, one of these days I’ll have to ride it border to border. Today however I was only going as far as Eagar then heading over to The Mogollon Rim to camp, or so I thought.

P5110123.jpg

The traffic on 191 was unbearable as you can see.

100_0917.jpg

There was still plenty of snow at higher elevations

100_0926.jpg

As I came out of the mountains north of Alpine the wind started to torment me yet again, I was getting really tired of the wind by this point. Eagar to Show Low was a nice road but I had a hard time enjoying it as the wind was cutting right through my gear chilling me to the bone. Show Low is traffic camera hell that’s all I’m saying. I never made the Mogollon Rim either because a sign outside Show Low said 260 was closed a few miles ahead and I was quickly losing my adventurous spirit. At this point I just wanted out of the wind so while borrowing some wifi at McDonalds I checked out a wind surface map that showed lower winds up towards Flagstaff so I turned around and headed north towards I40. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

I have never ridden in wind like this I was having my gear ripped off my body. I was certain the bike's lean angle sensor was gonna trip and shut me down. The sky was orange and I couldn’t see very far ahead from all the dust. On I40 outside of Winslow I saw the flashing sign that brought this day to a merciful end “INTERSTATE 40 CLOSED AT WINSLOW EXIT DUE TO DUST STORM”. First hotel of the trip.

I didn’t sleep as long as I should have I got mired down in trying to fix a problem with my laptop and the next thing I knew it was well after midnight. I did learn from the news that the wind had been gusting to over 60mph, “yeah no kidding”.

Well today was a new day and the wind had finally stopped at least for now. Meteor Crater was just up the road and I’ve always wanted to see it.

It’s an impressive hole in the ground when you consider it happened in the blink of an eye.

P5120129.jpg

Some other odds and ends I happened upon in the area.

P5120136.jpg

P5120137.jpg

P5120138.jpg

I got back on 40 and headed west for Kingman. I got a nice reward of warmer temperatures as I came down off the plateau west of Flag Staff, not warm but warmer.

I fueled up in Kingman and headed north to ride across Hoover Dam something else I always wanted to see and do.

100_0946.jpg

100_0947.jpg

The road along Lake Meade is great with a lot of spectacular views and good riding except of course for the 20 or so miles of road construction which meant dirt road.

Seriously though it was a nice surprise I didn’t know it was so scenic.

100_0968.jpg

100_0972.jpg

P5120151.jpg

P5120152.jpg

100_0978.jpg

I got rained on while gassing up in Overton, it poured on me then I rode 200 feet down the road and nothing, dry as a bone. From here it was over to US93 and up to Cathedral Gorge State Park to camp. I got with a couple cages on 93 that were moving right along and I just followed behind. It was getting cold and windy again but at least it was a tail wind this time.

Somewhere along 93.

100_0995.jpg

I pulled into the state park very tired and chilled as the sun was setting. I went to bed early and slept for a little while but soon I got cold so I put on more clothes, by morning I was wearing every article of warm clothing I had with me.

Because of forum limitations I had to split this into 2 parts. Part 2 to follow

As promised part 2

The next morning

100_0996.jpg

This was the coldest temperature of the trip.

100_0999.jpg

P5130160.jpg

This being the high desert it didn’t take long to warm up once the sun came up but it never got much out of the 50s however there was NO WIND.

I need to come back here sometime and check things out a little closer.

P5130157.jpg

P5130159.jpg

Today I was going to traverse Nevada 375 the Extraterrestrial Highway and make my way to Death Valley. I fueled up in Caliente (which it wasn’t) and headed out. I rode at a very good clip to the beginning of 375 where I stopped and witnessed uh, something.

Ahh yes hypothermia and sleep deprivation the natural high.

P5130170.jpg

I then launched down 375 a road you can flat out haul ass on.

100_1006.jpg

You got to watch the damn cows though, out here they are free range and lie in wait to ambush unsuspecting motorcyclist. I almost quartered one that darted out in front of me like a damn squirrel. We must join together and eat them all.

After passing Rachel where you can supposedly get gas, although I never saw a place I realized my fuel gauge was dropping much faster than the distance I needed to cover to get to Tonopah. I had been riding a bit too hard and should have topped off in Ash Springs. I know US50 is known as the loneliest highway in America but I think 375 should be. It sure feels that way when you’re watching your fuel gauge drop like a stone.

100_1018.jpg

100_1005.jpg

100_1022.jpg

I rolled into Tonopah with a splash of fuel left in the tank “I really need to look into some sort of auxiliary fuel tank”. The ride down US 95 to Beatty was heavy with traffic. There were several “Ranches” along the route but none of them seemed to be doing much business, maybe the patrons hide their cars out back or something.

I Fueled up in Beatty and headed west into Death Valley. When I bottomed out on the floor of the valley I was finally warm again.

Never saw an elevation like this on the zumo before.

100_1030.jpg

I picked out a campsite at the Furnace Creek Campground and paid for it with a credit card at an “ATM like” vending machine a first for me but it worked and was efficient.

I set up camp and enjoyed being warm for the first time since Big Bend.

P5140205.jpg

I stocked up on needed supplies at the store down the road then headed out to explore.

100_1033.jpg

Death Valley is otherworldly, breathtakingly beautiful, so much more than I was expecting. I was sad I only had a short time to spend here. I need to come back when the flowers are in bloom, I can’t even imagine.

100_1036.jpg

100_1039.jpg

100_1048.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how quiet the desert is.

P5130187.jpg

P5130189.jpg

I headed back to camp for what would be the best nights sleep of the trip. There was some commotion around 2am involving coyotes and somebody’s dog but I barely noticed. I woke refreshed and somewhat excited to get on the road. You see today I would be riding to Folsom, CA to meet up with most of my entire family for my cousins wedding, an event surely to go down in some record book or police blotter somewhere.

So I packed up and headed for the west entrance of the park.

P5140207.jpg

P5140213.jpg

I grabbed the obligatory “Entrance Sign Photo” on the way out.

100_1068.jpg

I gotta say if you are going to go to Death Valley and you can swing it enter from the west it is much more spectacular.

The Sierras capped in snow.

100_1074.jpg

US395 is another one of America’s iconic strips of asphalt, rich in history and will take you to many amazing places it also deserves an entire trip dedicated to exploring its every mile.

This section parallels the spine of the incomparable Sierra Nevada Mountain range.

100_1076.jpg

100_1085.jpg

I stopped at Mono Lake for a snack and to enjoy the slightly warmer temperatures of this relatively lower elevation.

100_1090.jpg

I stopped again in Topaz Lake for gas before climbing up and over Monitor Pass one of the few passes over the Sierras open this early.

Climbing up to the pass.

100_1097.jpg

Still plenty of snow up here.

100_1109.jpg

100_1120.jpg

Dropping down the other side and into the warm embrace of the Sacramento Valley I was catapulted into the never ending rat race that is urban California. I successfully avoided becoming one of the daily traffic statistics and landed on the banks of the American River in Folsom, the venue for the wedding.

P5150227.jpg

P5150239.jpg

P5150256.jpg

The wedding was beautiful and it was great seeing my family. All the wind I had been dealing with this trip blew into the plains and had turned into one of the most active and destructive severe weather seasons on record and it wasn’t done yet. I had planned on spending more time in California but converging weather systems were forcing me to get moving and now.

I jumped on I80 and started hightailing it east up and over Donner and into the hood of the infamous forum member and Gen 1 pilot renojohn. I snuck through unnoticed and made it to Fernley where I picked up the “real” Loneliest Highway in America US50.

The “Shoe Tree” Apparently there are several of these around the country but this is the only one I’ve seen.

100_1148.jpg

Traveling across country this early in the year has certainly proved to be challenging but having every mountain range in the American west capped in snow is a never ending visual delight that just doesn’t lose its splendor.

100_1150.jpg

100_1151.jpg

No doubt one of reno’s hideaways.

100_1154.jpg

The Illipah reservoir is a BLM site west of Ely that has free primitive camping and I had planned on staying there but by the time I got there the wind was back to punish me and it was getting cold. I had been watching my rear tire wear excessively fast during this trip and now it was to the wear bars and fading fast. Normally I wouldn’t be too worried but the thought of dodging severe thunderstorms on the plains on a bald rear tire for some reason kept haunting me. I decided to follow my gut and go on to Ely and start looking for a replacement.

Thanks to the Forum members who helped me locate a shop and get a new rear skin. After looking in Ely and then Delta, UT with no luck I located one at Extreme Motorsports in Provo. So that’s where I headed.

On route to Provo

100_1162.jpg

I was back on the road in no time at all. I swear their tech must work the nascar circuit or something. The piece of mind the new rear tire gave me was worth any rerouting or hassle that getting it created. I headed for Moab, Utah one of my favorite places in the west to find a place to camp.

I made such good time getting to Moab that I decided to keep going to Cortez, CO and get a hotel so I could study the weather systems that had gotten past the Sierras and were rolling across Nevada heading my way.

I stayed at the same Days Inn I had stayed at on a group ride back in 2007. I was thinking of swinging south into New Mexico and going around the Rockies and take a couple extra days going home. Mother Nature had other plans, there was a second storm system coming up out of the southwest that was going to combine the next day over Colorado with the one coming up behind me. It was clear that I was going to have to haul ass east on US160 over the southern Rockies if I was going to have any chance of staying ahead of this mess.

I got up at 4am and hit the road. It was 52F and already starting to sprinkle. This is when the auxiliary lights on the bike proved to be worth every dime. I saw a LOT of deer but they all behaved themselves their retinas no doubt scorched by the 10 million or so candlepower I was blazing. The storm was catching me as I got slowed down in all the little towns along US160. As I reached the beginning of the ascent to the pass it started raining like it meant it. At 8000ft the rain turned to heavy snow “no turning back now” I thought out loud as I pressed on. I summited the pass in the dark at six something in the morning, 36 degrees and snowing to beat the band. I rolled down the eastern flank of the Rockies and let out a battle cry as I came out from under the storm into the sun and 60 degree temps.

Blanca Peak shrouded in clouds.

100_1182.jpg

Shortly after I took that picture I got to have a conversation with a Colorado State Patrolman. That conversation cost me $160. First ticket in about 20 years. Be warned these guys have no sense of humor I guess they need the money.

I was finally out on the plains and in warmer temps but that incessive wind just would not quit.

I stopped for a snack and a stretch and a solo bitch session about getting a ticket. Yeah there was some cussin.

100_1184.jpg

I kept rolling all day long trying to put some distance between me and the storm system that was nipping at my heels.

The forces that it took to do this are what I was running from.

100_0579.jpg

Got lawn ornaments? Need one? Bet they fly real good during a tornado.

100_1195.jpg

I wonder what topics are discussed during the course of business here, watch that awning.

100_1186.jpg

Sorry that is the end of the pictures.

By the time I got through Wichita, Kansas it was late evening and I was thinking about catching a few zzzzz’s at a park up ahead that I knew. Well a phone call home shattered that idea apparently there were severe thunderstorms rolling up from the south directly toward me. I felt pretty good, had the lighting equipment for the task so I decided I would just go all the way and be done with it.

So goes the story of how I earned my first “unofficial” Iron Butt. I hit the 1000 mile mark at 19.5 hours and was home with a total of 1146 miles in about 23 hours. I had a total of 7 miles of interstate going around Wichita in getting the 1000 the rest was ALL 2 lane. The last 120miles or so were on I44. I didn’t document it but I know.

The bike was flawless as usual. The Dunlop Roadsmart let me down this time. I will try something else next trip. If I head out in May again I will seriously consider some heated gear it would have made all the difference.

I hope you enjoyed my report but mostly I hope it inspires someone else to go on a trip of their own.

Life is far too short to just read about these places. Go see them!

Thanks

Matt

aka canyonman

So far, so good. Like you I did a 7000 mile trip in late June-July and am yet to do the trip report. Beautiful pics, that give a good feel of the road and experience.

Thanks.

Wow...that is an amazing and FULL report with beautiful pictures. GREAT job! :clapping:

I'm going to read it again later this winter.

I don't think I can write another report again after seeing how it's REALLY done. WOW.

Excellent report, well done ! :clapping: I know it takes time to write it up and detail it, so thanks for the effort ! I need to get going on a long overdue trip report that need completion too, so thanks for the kick in the azzzz. :D

Wow...that is an amazing and FULL report with beautiful pictures. GREAT job! :clapping:

I'm going to read it again later this winter.

I don't think I can write another report again after seeing how it's REALLY done. WOW.
When I saw that you were riding to California in May I decided I needed to get it done.

Wow! Really enjoyed the whole thing, Canyonman.

Excellent.

Couple of questions -

Noticed that except for the self-portraits, there wasn't a single

human in any of your photos. (Weenie-man doesn't count.)

Conscious decision? It sorta created a mood. The solitary rider.

I liked it.

And it appears you carry two tents?

Thanks for taking the time to put it together and give us a look.

Fantastic report and photo's, thanks for sharing.

Mac

Wow! Really enjoyed the whole thing, Canyonman.

Excellent.

Couple of questions -

Noticed that except for the self-portraits, there wasn't a single

human in any of your photos. (Weenie-man doesn't count.)

Conscious decision? It sorta created a mood. The solitary rider.

I liked it.

And it appears you carry two tents?

Thanks for taking the time to put it together and give us a look.
In Big Bend other people were hard to find. I guess the others I wanted the picture to reflect the natural beauty without any distractions. The river in Folsom was full of people it was a real challenge to get any pictures without someone in it.

I did have 2 tents on this trip the 1 man zeus is my favorite cause its real quick. The mountain pass was new and I wanted to give it a try. Nice catch i was wondering how long it would take someone to see that.

Thanks for such a great report! I rode across Canada west to east and then came back west across the states this past Aug,Sept and Oct. I have about 2000 pictures and a few stories but could never put together such a fine article. Thanks again, Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
As promised part 2

The next morning

100_0996.jpg

This was the coldest temperature of the trip.

100_0999.jpg

P5130160.jpg

This being the high desert it didn’t take long to warm up once the sun came up but it never got much out of the 50s however there was NO WIND.

I need to come back here sometime and check things out a little closer.

P5130157.jpg

P5130159.jpg

Today I was going to traverse Nevada 375 the Extraterrestrial Highway and make my way to Death Valley. I fueled up in Caliente (which it wasn’t) and headed out. I rode at a very good clip to the beginning of 375 where I stopped and witnessed uh, something.

Ahh yes hypothermia and sleep deprivation the natural high.

P5130170.jpg

I then launched down 375 a road you can flat out haul ass on.

100_1006.jpg

You got to watch the damn cows though, out here they are free range and lie in wait to ambush unsuspecting motorcyclist. I almost quartered one that darted out in front of me like a damn squirrel. We must join together and eat them all.

After passing Rachel where you can supposedly get gas, although I never saw a place I realized my fuel gauge was dropping much faster than the distance I needed to cover to get to Tonopah. I had been riding a bit too hard and should have topped off in Ash Springs. I know US50 is known as the loneliest highway in America but I think 375 should be. It sure feels that way when you’re watching your fuel gauge drop like a stone.

100_1018.jpg

100_1005.jpg

100_1022.jpg

I rolled into Tonopah with a splash of fuel left in the tank “I really need to look into some sort of auxiliary fuel tank”. The ride down US 95 to Beatty was heavy with traffic. There were several “Ranches” along the route but none of them seemed to be doing much business, maybe the patrons hide their cars out back or something.

I Fueled up in Beatty and headed west into Death Valley. When I bottomed out on the floor of the valley I was finally warm again.

Never saw an elevation like this on the zumo before.

100_1030.jpg

I picked out a campsite at the Furnace Creek Campground and paid for it with a credit card at an “ATM like” vending machine a first for me but it worked and was efficient.

I set up camp and enjoyed being warm for the first time since Big Bend.

P5140205.jpg

I stocked up on needed supplies at the store down the road then headed out to explore.

100_1033.jpg

Death Valley is otherworldly, breathtakingly beautiful, so much more than I was expecting. I was sad I only had a short time to spend here. I need to come back when the flowers are in bloom, I can’t even imagine.

100_1036.jpg

100_1039.jpg

100_1048.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me how quiet the desert is.

P5130187.jpg

P5130189.jpg

I headed back to camp for what would be the best nights sleep of the trip. There was some commotion around 2am involving coyotes and somebody’s dog but I barely noticed. I woke refreshed and somewhat excited to get on the road. You see today I would be riding to Folsom, CA to meet up with most of my entire family for my cousins wedding, an event surely to go down in some record book or police blotter somewhere.

So I packed up and headed for the west entrance of the park.

P5140207.jpg

P5140213.jpg

I grabbed the obligatory “Entrance Sign Photo” on the way out.

100_1068.jpg

I gotta say if you are going to go to Death Valley and you can swing it enter from the west it is much more spectacular.

The Sierras capped in snow.

100_1074.jpg

US395 is another one of America’s iconic strips of asphalt, rich in history and will take you to many amazing places it also deserves an entire trip dedicated to exploring its every mile.

This section parallels the spine of the incomparable Sierra Nevada Mountain range.

100_1076.jpg

100_1085.jpg

I stopped at Mono Lake for a snack and to enjoy the slightly warmer temperatures of this relatively lower elevation.

100_1090.jpg

I stopped again in Topaz Lake for gas before climbing up and over Monitor Pass one of the few passes over the Sierras open this early.

Climbing up to the pass.

100_1097.jpg

Still plenty of snow up here.

100_1109.jpg

100_1120.jpg

Dropping down the other side and into the warm embrace of the Sacramento Valley I was catapulted into the never ending rat race that is urban California. I successfully avoided becoming one of the daily traffic statistics and landed on the banks of the American River in Folsom, the venue for the wedding.

P5150227.jpg

P5150239.jpg

P5150256.jpg

The wedding was beautiful and it was great seeing my family. All the wind I had been dealing with this trip blew into the plains and had turned into one of the most active and destructive severe weather seasons on record and it wasn’t done yet. I had planned on spending more time in California but converging weather systems were forcing me to get moving and now.

I jumped on I80 and started hightailing it east up and over Donner and into the hood of the infamous forum member and Gen 1 pilot renojohn. I snuck through unnoticed and made it to Fernley where I picked up the “real” Loneliest Highway in America US50.

The “Shoe Tree” Apparently there are several of these around the country but this is the only one I’ve seen.

100_1148.jpg

Traveling across country this early in the year has certainly proved to be challenging but having every mountain range in the American west capped in snow is a never ending visual delight that just doesn’t lose its splendor.

100_1150.jpg

100_1151.jpg

No doubt one of reno’s hideaways.

100_1154.jpg

The Illipah reservoir is a BLM site west of Ely that has free primitive camping and I had planned on staying there but by the time I got there the wind was back to punish me and it was getting cold. I had been watching my rear tire wear excessively fast during this trip and now it was to the wear bars and fading fast. Normally I wouldn’t be too worried but the thought of dodging severe thunderstorms on the plains on a bald rear tire for some reason kept haunting me. I decided to follow my gut and go on to Ely and start looking for a replacement.

Thanks to the Forum members who helped me locate a shop and get a new rear skin. After looking in Ely and then Delta, UT with no luck I located one at Extreme Motorsports in Provo. So that’s where I headed.

On route to Provo

100_1162.jpg

I was back on the road in no time at all. I swear their tech must work the nascar circuit or something. The piece of mind the new rear tire gave me was worth any rerouting or hassle that getting it created. I headed for Moab, Utah one of my favorite places in the west to find a place to camp.

I made such good time getting to Moab that I decided to keep going to Cortez, CO and get a hotel so I could study the weather systems that had gotten past the Sierras and were rolling across Nevada heading my way.

I stayed at the same Days Inn I had stayed at on a group ride back in 2007. I was thinking of swinging south into New Mexico and going around the Rockies and take a couple extra days going home. Mother Nature had other plans, there was a second storm system coming up out of the southwest that was going to combine the next day over Colorado with the one coming up behind me. It was clear that I was going to have to haul ass east on US160 over the southern Rockies if I was going to have any chance of staying ahead of this mess.

I got up at 4am and hit the road. It was 52F and already starting to sprinkle. This is when the auxiliary lights on the bike proved to be worth every dime. I saw a LOT of deer but they all behaved themselves their retinas no doubt scorched by the 10 million or so candlepower I was blazing. The storm was catching me as I got slowed down in all the little towns along US160. As I reached the beginning of the ascent to the pass it started raining like it meant it. At 8000ft the rain turned to heavy snow “no turning back now” I thought out loud as I pressed on. I summited the pass in the dark at six something in the morning, 36 degrees and snowing to beat the band. I rolled down the eastern flank of the Rockies and let out a battle cry as I came out from under the storm into the sun and 60 degree temps.

Blanca Peak shrouded in clouds.

100_1182.jpg

Shortly after I took that picture I got to have a conversation with a Colorado State Patrolman. That conversation cost me $160. First ticket in about 20 years. Be warned these guys have no sense of humor I guess they need the money.

I was finally out on the plains and in warmer temps but that incessive wind just would not quit.

I stopped for a snack and a stretch and a solo bitch session about getting a ticket. Yeah there was some cussin.

100_1184.jpg

I kept rolling all day long trying to put some distance between me and the storm system that was nipping at my heels.

The forces that it took to do this are what I was running from.

100_0579.jpg

Got lawn ornaments? Need one? Bet they fly real good during a tornado.

100_1195.jpg

I wonder what topics are discussed during the course of business here, watch that awning.

100_1186.jpg

Sorry that is the end of the pictures.

By the time I got through Wichita, Kansas it was late evening and I was thinking about catching a few zzzzz’s at a park up ahead that I knew. Well a phone call home shattered that idea apparently there were severe thunderstorms rolling up from the south directly toward me. I felt pretty good, had the lighting equipment for the task so I decided I would just go all the way and be done with it.

So goes the story of how I earned my first “unofficial” Iron Butt. I hit the 1000 mile mark at 19.5 hours and was home with a total of 1146 miles in about 23 hours. I had a total of 7 miles of interstate going around Wichita in getting the 1000 the rest was ALL 2 lane. The last 120miles or so were on I44. I didn’t document it but I know.

The bike was flawless as usual. The Dunlop Roadsmart let me down this time. I will try something else next trip. If I head out in May again I will seriously consider some heated gear it would have made all the difference.

I hope you enjoyed my report but mostly I hope it inspires someone else to go on a trip of their own.

Life is far too short to just read about these places. Go see them!

Thanks

Matt

aka canyonman

Matt/canyonman has a great/epic RR here. PLEASE don't quote the whole report when replying. :dribble:

There's no reason to do it, and it's gonna make this thread really slow to load up if enough people keep on doing it.

If you want to reply...go to the very bottom of the page and press "add reply"...NOT THE "REPLY" button on Canyonman's post.

PLEASE.

Wonderful job, Canyonman. Pix are monumental.

I notice you're a Jet Boil guy. What kinds of stuff do you cook in yours? I just boil water for instant meals/drinks in mine -- afraid of messing up the pot with burnt on gunk. But there must be some foods you can cook in them. What's your experience.

Also, what about your tents. How do they compare?

EPIC ride report canyonman! Seems like you thoroughly enjoyed your trip! Hope you had a good time in Folsom as well!

PS - jmgrif, that is really poor form.