Mojolever and 2017 original Battleax tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NW Jeff

Reaction score
Finally got around to setting up my HF tire changer with the mojoblocks, lever etc.. Ready to tackle these tires after being part of a couple of tire changes with another member with a similar setup, which went well both times. Starting with the rear, after a few starts and stops I managed to get the bead broken (both sides) and mounted properly in the blocks.

This is as far as I can get as the round mojolever end will not slip past the edge of the tire....it just pushes the sidewall down. I've tried putting irons around the other parts of the tire while pushing/twisting the lever or squeezing the opposite side with a clamp while trying to get the round lever end underneath the tire. Have used half a bottle of soapy water. Have watched plenty of YouTube that makes it look oh so easy.

Ready to use a reciprocating saw on the tire at this point.

Is it just these original tires or should I melt them with a torch first? Running out of ideas....might have to throw in the towel and head to the dealer tomorrow.
default_sad.png

What you are describing in removing the worn tire is not uncommon, especially those with stiff sidewalls. I use 5 one inch wooden blocks, spaced equally, to push all of the sidewall down into the center of the rim at the same time and then look for the largest gap to push the Mojo lever past the sidewall. Once the mojo lever is in place, remove the blocks and lift sidewall up past the rim.

Hope this helps, it gets easier after you remove a few tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not pushing the rest of the tire far enough into the middle of the rim. I suggest you rewatch some of the youtube vids paying close attention to that particular aspect. When I first started changing my own tires I had similar issues, so speaking from experience...