Mom always told me reading would come in handy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash Cash

Reaction score
Well I'm stuck inside putting on a new front tire while it pours buckets outside. You can tell by my lack of front tread that I don't want to be wrenchin' I wanna be ridin'! The wheel is floating in mid-air because I have the rear strapped down onto the rear of the Harbor Freight lift.

book_larning.jpg

Anyway, I was not too amused to find out my front ABS sensor bolt was wasn't even finger tight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Better your ABS sensor bolt than your axle... I'm just saying....

But yes, that does suck pretty badly... might want to give all the visible bolts a once over with the torque wrench while you're thinking about it...

Don't feel bad-- mine was missing after about 1000 miles, maybe sooner. Being the great mechanic I am, I found it missing at the 1000 mile mark. Might not have been on from the dealer's for all I know.

Man, that is some seriously red carpet you have.

B)

Well now,

My wife would KILL me if she found a Terry Pratchett book under my bike! Besides if it were in the garage I would be reading it instead of doing tires. I'm glad you found the loose bolt before it bit you. Be sure to torque everything and use blue locktite at reassembly.

That's just the bike lift from Harbor Freight powdercoated in "Chinese Communist Red". (bah-DUM-TISSSH, thank you, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!)

I had to make up some side wings to get the bike safely on there, and more importantly, safely off the centerstand getting back off. The FJR's so wide I can barely get half a foot on each side, and I can see one little slip and 700lbs of bike taking me for a ride sideways into the concrete. I flipped the strap-down u-bolts upside down, plugged some 1/2" pipes in them, put a pine plank on top with wall straps, and made some legs with 8" carriage bolts.

And putting the wheel back on... boy, those calipers just barely fit back in there, don't they?!

Speaking of rain, we got 2.11" which is almost double the old record of 1.17"

That's just the bike lift from Harbor Freight powdercoated in "Chinese Communist Red". (bah-DUM-TISSSH, thank you, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress!)

I had to make up some side wings to get the bike safely on there, and more importantly, safely off the centerstand getting back off. The FJR's so wide I can barely get half a foot on each side, and I can see one little slip and 700lbs of bike taking me for a ride sideways into the concrete. I flipped the strap-down u-bolts upside down, plugged some 1/2" pipes in them, put a pine plank on top with wall straps, and made some legs with 8" carriage bolts.

And putting the wheel back on... boy, those calipers just barely fit back in there, don't they?!

Speaking of rain, we got 2.11" which is almost double the old record of 1.17"
Which lift did you get. Harbor Freight has three.