Most Cost Effective Way To Purchase And Install Tires ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...And I thought this was about changing tires, not the ethnic make up of your neighbors. TWN, you got to know he is a fence builder :)

So i take my wheels off and the local YamaHondaSuzKTM dealer does the removal, mounting and balancing for 28 bucks a piece. Still a rip off but the alternative is a pain in the ass! IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
In OZ, it's usually an 'included' price, so much so, that it just isn't worth the added time and stress removing the wheels yourself.

Thommo, Thug, you guys have the same experience?

...And I thought this was about changing tires, not the ethnic make up of your neighbors. TWN, you got to know he is a fence builder :)
Give the man a cigar.

Anyone heard the phrase

"Good fences make good neighbors"?

okie dokie....so now i need to learn to take the wheels off...
FJR tech makes it easy peasy. Just make sure you pick up a 19mm allen wrench or reverse the head on a spark plug socket for the front tire.

I recently ordered from https://www.swmototires.com/ and had them ship directly to my dealer. They have no issue on installing outside tires. While I'm there, I'll have them do a free inspection...

It'll take about 10 days to get them there as they ship FedEx Ground and they take two days for processing...

Agreed (and especially true in my area), the FJR goes through too many tires to pay anyone's standard price for tire changing. Local shops charge $35 to mount your tire if the wheel is off the bike. They charge $35 to mount their tire if the wheel is off the bike. $50 /wheel if they remove the wheel.

I have the Harbor Freight changer, MojoLever, NoMar lever and the worlds finest assortment of totally useless tire changing items. IMHO nothing beats a good neighbor and a good set of tire spoons. No matter what I use, I can't handle a Strada rear tire by myself.

The best deal I've worked out is with a local auto tire shop. They mount my tires for $10 and I handle everything else myself. I go through about 5 sets of tires per year. That means I'm spending $100/year for tire mounting. It will take me a long time to pay for any type of improved tire changer at that rate.

My advice is to seek out someone as I did, that knows tires and that you can trust to care about scratching your wheels. My local guy raced carts and local stock tracks. Good egg!

The Marc Parnes balancer works extremely well, IMO much better than any automatic balancer used.

I know I'm in need of new tires and will probably go with the stones BT021.
Going to throw my 2 cents in against going with the BT021s. Just returned from EOM after starting out with only about 500miles (mostly twisties) on mine, we rode a varied route there, all twisties at EOM and then the only real slabbing was 650 miles on the way back home.

My rear tire is now flat as a 2x4 in the center, near as I can tell just from the slabbing back home. 2500 miles total on this tire and it does not appear to live up to it's "higher mileage" claim. BTW, I run 42 lbs. pressure in the rear.

Too bad you don't live near Smitty, 'cause he does an awesome job mounting and balancing for a fraction of the cost a dealer would charge you.