Moto GP Laguna Seca

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TellurideFJR

I likes to ride!
Reaction score
With just over a month till race day, who's going? You will find me there... again

IMG_7035.jpg

DSCF0010-1.jpg

DSCF0012-1.jpg

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

We go every year. Have camp spot B81 overlooking the entrance gate. Always a good time..........although I'd love to see Moto2 and Moto3 run at this track! I usually ride the Tuono up while the wife ferries the RV....can't get much better than that :yahoo:

Won a trip to the motoGP this year, so I'll be there along with my brother with the Dunlop folks at turn 1. Can't wait!

I'll be there again. It's a tradition. I ride mostly back roads down and back and have a blast. NorCal has some fantastic roads. HWY's 1,3,36,96 just to name a few. I'll be cheering Ben Spies on and hoping he will step up on his Yamaha and not fade away or toss it down the tarmac. He really needs to regain his winning form or I'm afraid he may lose his ride. I'm also looking forward to see if Ducati's new engine will help Rossi. It should be a very close race as Stoner, Lorenzo, Pedrosa all run good there. Then throw in Spies, Dovi, Crutchlow and even Rossi and Hayden who could pull off an upset win. If anybody hasn't got their tickets yet Yamaha is offering a 3 day ticket that includes admission, seat in turn 4, paddock pass, 1 lunch at the Graves transporter and Yamaha only motorcycle parking (that's where my FJR will be) for $230. Say Hi if ya see me. I'll be the guy with Oregon plates on his FJR and a BIG smile.

I am planning on going! It will be my first race and I can't wait! I am equally excited about ridding my fjr there. Anyone interested in riding together to or from ( I am in orange county)?

I'm going this year too (first time). Not sure about riding the bikes though.

A friend who's been to Laguna Seca lots of times says there is good and bad to taking a bike.

The good part is that it is fun... and you'll be in and out of there much quicker than a car.

The bad part is that on a bike you can't take a lot of stuff with you.

If you don't have suites, he advises that we take umbrellas for a sunshade or a pop-up.

It will probably be hot or hot and windy and you'll probably need lots of beverages.

The grass on the hillsides is slick, smooth sole riding boots probably won't be fun so take

some hiking boots. Probably need to leave riding stuff/helmets on the bike and wear warm

weather gear underneath.

So dunno about bikes... want to take them though. Any regular users care to advise?

Last edited by a moderator:

A friend who's been to Laguna Seca lots of times says there is good and bad to taking a bike.

The good part is that it is fun... and you'll be in and out of there much quicker than a car.

If you don't have suites, he advises that we take umbrellas for a sunshade or a pop-up.

It will probably be hot or hot and windy and you'll probably need lots of beverages.

The grass on the hillsides is slick, smooth sole riding boots probably won't be fun so take

some hiking boots. Probably need to leave riding stuff/helmets on the bike and wear warm

weather gear underneath.

So dunno about bikes... want to take them though. Any regular users care to advise?
I ride there and stay at a hotel then ride to the track each morning. Your FJR has great storage when you get to the track. Off come the boots and helmet and into the saddlebags. On go the comfortable walking shoes and backback. If you have more gear they have a gear check at all the motorcycle parking areas, it's free but give them a tip for their efforts. It's not usually hot because it's near the coast but one year it was real hot. There will be plenty of sun so bring sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, long sleeve cool shirt and pants if you really want tne protection. Or you could go sit (on the ground) up at the corkscrew where there is plenty of shade trees and a great up close view. It does get crowded up there but a real party atmosphere. IMO, ya got to ride. It's a motorcycle race. Enjoy, maybe I'll see ya there. :yahoo: And if you don't pay the $50 for motorcycle parking (on pavement) the free parking is out in lumpy, bumpy grasslands that surround the track. It's ok but dusty. Also bring a hard, flat pad so your kickstand won't dig into the ground causing your bike to tip over.

Last edited by a moderator:

weather gear underneath.

Weather can be ??? The one year, 06 I think, it was brutal. Most years it has been pleasant and sometimes the fog comes in and it is cool. For general admission I second the "Corkscrew". Lots of shade but you need to get there early for a good spot.

For parking I strongly recommend buying a Parade Lap ticket as this gets you a parking spot for the whole weekend inside of the 2,3,4,5 turn complex, a lap on the track Saturday, and yes, the Christian Bikers club does a great job with gear check. If they are still available the turn 4 grandstand seats are good and have a jumbotron across the track. I would also say to look on Ebay or other forums for people selling better tickets. Flagroom, Turn 2, 3 and 4, and Pit Row Suites all come with hospitality, free programs, great parking and access to good bathrooms. A real bargain if you ask me.

As far as taking a bike... I hate going to this track in a car and ride from Colorado, while my wife flies, just to have the bike to ride to the track. While they want all bikes to ride in and out the Barlow Canyon road, this totally sucks. Much longer and if you do not get there early on Sunday you stand a good chance of toasting your clutch or overheating as it can be stop and go up a long hill. Go in the main gate on Hwy 68, they never have given me any grief for this.

If you do get forced out the Barlow Canyon road exit BEWARE, CHP does EXTREME enforcement on Hwy 1 south from Marina to Monterey. Guy on the bridge with Radar/Lidar and about 8 cops on BMW RTP 1200s writing tickets. This said the ride up Hwy 1 from San Simion on Thursday is totally out of control. I have never seen anyone pulled over until you get to Big Sur. I have seen cops south of Big Sur but they really do not mess with anyone for ANYTHING. A bit crazy but fun, your FJR will not be the fastest bike in this bunch.

Hope to see you all there!

This year will be my first time too, the wife surprised me by wanting to spend our 25th anniversary at the races. Will have to leave the bike at home. The wife and I will be in turn 4 seating area. Looking forward to the weekend there.

Laguna Seca Weather this week

Looking much cooler this year, from the NOAA site with pinpoint on the track

Thursday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 62.

Thursday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 49.

Friday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 62.

Friday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.

Saturday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 63.

Saturday Night Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 50.

Sunday Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 63.

Thanks Telluride. I'm getting ready to pack the FJR and saw your report. One less thing I need to check. It looks like another year of great weather.

All packed up, leaving tomorrow morning. Route from Telluride goes

Telluride

Cortez

Kayenta

Tuba City

Flagstaff

Kingman

Overnight in Laughlin

Barstow

Bakersfield

Santa Margarita

Cambria

San Simion

Big Sur

Monterey

Have a safe trip, see you there!

Me too, me too. Heading out in the morning. Here's my combination for fun: 5,96,299,101,1,big long tall bridge,1,280,35,17,1,Laguna Seca MotoGP. And no rain in the forecast for the whole trip. I can hardly wait to see the best in the world. It will also be interesting to see how Steve Rapp on the Attack Kawasaki CRT bike will do. Hope to see ya there!

Damn! I just read a statement from Ben Spies. Says he is leaving Yamaha at the end of this season. He will release more info with official statement later. This sucks! He deserves to be in MotoGP.

Damn! I just read a statement from Ben Spies. Says he is leaving Yamaha at the end of this season. He will release more info with official statement later. This sucks! He deserves to be in MotoGP.
I certainly hope he stays in MotoGP, he seemed to be the best chance for another American champion until this season....