Moto "Ugly" Norge 1200 (acutally 1151cc)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLPILOT

Transient Man
Reaction score
So I'm glancing through one of the last issues I'll ever receive of this pathetic rag-mag called "Cycle World" - since I won't be renewing my subscription - and what do I see but a nice little write-up (how much did they pay you CW?) about Moto Guzzi's despicable and and not-so-discreet attempt at getting into the sport-touring market.

Have you seen this lame-o, no balls (95 hp), wannabe an FJR look alike? C'mon man. This thing looks like the red-headed step child "I can't get a date so I hang with my pretty girlfriends" date that you get stuck with when you play wingman for your best buddy. Please God get me a beer - uh, make that a six pack please! This one talks too!

The lines, bags, fairings, top box, fender - hell, just about everything looks strangely similar to the FJR, but, I don't know, somehow ugly! Oh yeah, and it's only $15,500!!! Good Christ. I swear I think they took the saddle bag off my '03 FJR, removed the name "Yamaha", and stuck it on this Norge. Hey, wait a minute! Where the F%$# are my bags?!?!?!!?!?

Sorry forum admin guys - thought I was in "other bike discussions" when I posted this. My bad. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a slightly different opinion than clicky :D
Guess I could have searched a little more for the topic. Thanks for setting me straight.

As for opinions, they're like buttholes - everybody's got one. I just can't see being interested in a bike with 50 less hp and no electric windshield, then paying 2-large more for it. But hey, that's just MY OPINION!

Cheers.

Like a moth to a flame, I have always gravitated towards Guzzis. I like this one too. OTOH, I have yet to plunk down my $ for the privilage. I love the Griso, that is one cool bike.

So I'm glancing through one of the last issues I'll ever receive of this pathetic rag-mag called "Cycle World" - since I won't be renewing my subscription - and what do I see but a nice little write-up (how much did they pay you CW?) about Moto Guzzi's despicable and and not-so-discreet attempt at getting into the sport-touring market.
Have you seen this lame-o, no balls (95 hp), wannabe an FJR look alike? C'mon man. This thing looks like the red-headed step child "I can't get a date so I hang with my pretty girlfriends" date that you get stuck with when you play wingman for your best buddy. Please God get me a beer - uh, make that a six pack please! This one talks too!

The lines, bags, fairings, top box, fender - hell, just about everything looks strangely similar to the FJR, but, I don't know, somehow ugly! Oh yeah, and it's only $15,500!!! Good Christ. I swear I think they took the saddle bag off my '03 FJR, removed the name "Yamaha", and stuck it on this Norge. Hey, wait a minute! Where the F%$# are my bags?!?!?!!?!?

Sorry forum admin guys - thought I was in "other bike discussions" when I posted this. My bad. :(

I sense you're holding back a bit, just let it out, you'll feel better. Tell us how you really feel big guy. J/K :p

I sense you're holding back a bit, just let it out, you'll feel better. Tell us how you really feel big guy. J/K :p

Yes, my wife tells me I keep things bottled up too, and that I should just let loose. It just seems to me to be a weak attempt from MG at capitalizing on this growing market. I like their bikes too, but this is just bad.

Yes, my wife tells me I keep things bottled up too, and that I should just let loose. It just seems to me to be a weak attempt from MG at capitalizing on this growing market. I like their bikes too, but this is just bad.

I rode the Breva 1100 and it is a sweet bike. Plenty of power and a good tranny. The Norjay is more powerful and has the same sweet suspension set up. It will be a winner, very nicely set up for sport touring

Piaggio has sorted out the parts problem and is committed to the US market with most of their substantial line of bikes coming here. Aprilia, Vespa and Moto Guzzi.

They will be a player here. I believe they are 2nd after Honda in world sales so have the horse power to get it done in the US.

I must be really in love with the FJR because I no longer care one bit what the other manufacturers are doing, good or bad :wub: Well OK I still wonder about the Rune, but other than that...

I must be really in love with the FJR because I no longer care one bit what the other manufacturers are doing, good or bad :wub: Well OK I still wonder about the Rune, but other than that...
Me too.

Except for the Rune ;)

For me, its the GL1800A and the 1300ST :eek: (and I do have a GL1800A available to take out once and a while).

Got a terrific Guzzi dealer 15 miles from my home. Ned's, in Riverside, Iowa. Sold BMW for 30+ years until he got told to go "Upmarket". Ned told 'em to get stuffed, and got rid of that franchise. I didn't much care for the California line, but they had a Breva there when I was home last April. Beautifully finished, and what a sweet machine! I want to check out the Norge when I get back, because it's based on the Breva. Another Sport-Tour machine to choose from - sweet!

If you get in this neck of the woods, stop by, meet Jim and Barb, get some popcorn and a free drink, and just soak it all in. You'll want to do business with these folks.

Now here is yet another perfectly beautiful Guzzi

griso1big.jpg

Got a terrific Guzzi dealer 15 miles from my home. Ned's, in Riverside, Iowa. Sold BMW for 30+ years until he got told to go "Upmarket". Ned told 'em to get stuffed, and got rid of that franchise. I didn't much care for the California line, but they had a Breva there when I was home last April. Beautifully finished, and what a sweet machine! I want to check out the Norge when I get back, because it's based on the Breva. Another Sport-Tour machine to choose from - sweet!
If you get in this neck of the woods, stop by, meet Jim and Barb, get some popcorn and a free drink, and just soak it all in. You'll want to do business with these folks.
I was not aware that there was a dealer there, they are close to me also as I live in Robins which is just north of Cedar Rapids. I will now pay them a visit. Thanks for the Info.

Mac

Just go to the west end of town, then turn right(north) up the hill. Right on top, you can't miss it.
Does this constitute a hijack yet?
No but good shot though!!! my post of the Griso was a better side track grave robbing etc etc shot at it!. You are allowed another go at it when you feel like a more spirited attempt!!

I really like the Norge. But then again the Guzzis are second only to the FJR so I doubt that i will buy one. Like to ride one though!

Lets see, 13.5 K for a FJR verses 15.5 K for the Norge.

The Norge has :

Heated grips

Top Box

GPS

Plug in for Electronics

Hmmmmmmmmmmm :dribble: