Moving to mammoth Wyoming yellowstone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the super volcano blows it will change life on the entire planet, and not for the better. Probably best to be in the incineration zone. After you tell your wife, please give me a call. We are probably a minute or so further away and I have a few things I need to take care of.

I will say I've gotten more nervous hiking in and fishing alone in Yellowstone the last few years. More and more of these guys every year....

IMG_20140516_175851_667_zpsa78cfce1.jpg

IMG_20140516_175730_354_zpsd1718769.jpg

BTW, I took these pics probably within 5 miles of Mammoth with my phone, he was a big boy for sure...

If the super volcano blows it will change life on the entire planet, and not for the better. Probably best to be in the incineration zone. After you tell your wife, please give me a call. We are probably a minute or so further away and I have a few things I need to take care of.
...only a minute, Pterodactyl?
fool.gif

Some insight on riding in Yosemite, it's one of the most beautiful rides far as natural scenery, most dangerous in peak season, due to tourist not paying attention I've had several friends simply run over.

Points of interest and a must see would be,Glacier point,Yosemite Valley and a ride over Tioga Pass.

One of my favorite rides was to ride out of Yosemite Valley heading south on hwy 41 to Oakhurst then take hwy 49 to Mariposa continue on hwy 49 to Jamestown on hwy 108, now hwy 49 between mariposa and hwy 120 junction is know as the little Dragon very twisty my 900rr loves it.

Now that your on hwy 108 continue East over Sonora Pass to Eastern Ca. And hwy 395. Once on 395 head south it's always a must to stop in Bridgeport Ca. As you continue South before you drop into the mono basin stop at the top of the pass for a great photo opp.

Continuing south to Lee Vining to hwy 120 head West over Tioga Pass back into Yosemite National Park and then into Yosemite Valley.

Very scenic ride and about 440 miles round trip makes for a great day

Last edited by a moderator:
I will say I've gotten more nervous hiking in and fishing alone in Yellowstone the last few years. More and more of these guys every year....

BTW, I took these pics probably within 5 miles of Mammoth with my phone, he was a big boy for sure...
He looks gigantic from the photo, and too damn close for my comfort. What's the game plan in that situation (other than snapping pics with your phone)? You're standing as still and quiet as you can, hoping you're downwind?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to research what to do and how to react around grizzlies they are kind of scary, black bears don't bother me so much I've had lots of in counters with them, each black bear is different and I only trust them as far as I can throw them.

He looks gigantic from the photo, and too damn close for my comfort. What's the game plan in that situation (other than snapping pics with your phone)? You're standing as still and quiet as you can, hoping you're downwind?
Crap your pants... might as well leave a bad taste in his mouth.

A fellow that worked for me in Fairbanks bought a .44 MAG pistol to protect himself from grizzlies. We had a local hunting guide that came in and my guy eagerly showed him the pistol and explaned why he bought it. The guide offered to show him an old outfitter's trick with the pistol. He told him to file down the front site so that it would not hurt as much when the bear shoved the pistol up his arse.

If your hiking an air horn. And then a nice revolver. And then hike with someone who runs slower than you
smile.png

Tent camping? Always eat your candy bars and chips in your tent and leave the wrappers. That way the grizzly gets to open up your tent like a candy wrapper. Actually, use a tent where you have never had any food inside the tent, ever.

There are a lot of campgrounds in our area that does not allow soft-sided camping which is why I sold my tent camper and went hard sided even though it tows like a brick.

Oh and NEVER spray around your tent with bear spray before you go to bed. VERY BAD idea. Saw the results at an archery shoot near Cody. The bears LOVE the spicy pepper flavor. That was a memorable night for the unlucky tent people. Thankfully no one got hurt or deaded.

Hikers should wear little bells attached to their clothes to alert bears that you are in the area. Also know the varieties of bear scat. Black bear scat will usually have little seeds and berries in it, whereas Griz scat usually has little bells in it.

Hikers should wear little bells attached to their clothes to alert bears that you are in the area. Also know the varieties of bear scat. Black bear scat will usually have little seeds and berries in it, whereas Griz scat usually has little bells in it.
Now I'm confused...I thought Grizz scat had the smell of pepper spray along with bits of clothing...

One of the really cool things about Yellowstone is the chance to watch a big grizzly doing its thing without TOO much concern. I took those pics right around dusk and there were 3-4 cars stopped there and maybe 10 people. The bears pretty much just ignore people, and as you can see, that big boy was not wanting for food. It was also in the early spring so he still had all that weight after hibernation. On a bike it is a lot more sketchy knowing if the bear comes toward you everyone else will jump in their cars, and you'll be sitting there on a bike. Sightings off the road are a lot of fun and not scary. Sightings when hiking or fishing (wherever you are) are a lot more stressful.

Here's another bear right off the road in Yellowstone a few years ago. Big black bear. Ranger told me the bear wouldn't have killed the elk but found it dead. That guy stumbled onto the all you can eat buffet. I watched him snack for probably 1/2 hour. Just like a big dog with a steak. Really cool...

Bear.jpg