Mt Washington ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That route has my approval! Thanks, Fred! I had posted the first map as a rough draft so that folks could get an idea of what I was thinking for the days ride. I'm glad you added in Cathedral ledge and tightened up the loose edges, especially taking West Rd. to avoid Conway.

Hurricane Mtn Rd is like the Dragon- fun, but even more fun going different ways! Just feels like a different road going opposite directions!

edit- looking back on the participants for this days ride, it doesn't appear that anyone is going back to the Fireside Inn. This may open up some extra riding time since route planning won't have to include a return trip to the hotel. We'll see where we are at a planned stop and what the members wanna do. I know Toophast is on a schedule, and VanHarlan needs to peel after Mt W. We'll just play it by ear and see how we feel as the day progresses. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK,

I was going to ask that question, because I have no need to see West Lebanon again on Monday, and intended to peel off the loop right after West Rd. and head south on Rte 16 and then west toward the Concord area on either 25 or 28.

I'll re-work the 2nd half of the route. It was mostly redundant to the Whites ride anyway, plus 3 times down the Kank in one weekend may be overkill? :unsure:

There is also Rte 113 which is a really nice twisty mountain road, but was in a bad state of repair the last time I was down it. I'll check with a motorcycle riding friend that lives in Sandwich, NH to see if they've fixed it up at all.

Edit: Here's a question for those staying Monday: Will anyone want to return to the Fireside Inn on Monday night? Or will everyone be going their separate ways at the end of the day?

I was on 113 twice in June and it has lots of warts and rips. :glare:

I will have to take the bride home Sunday evening (somebody in this family has to work) , but might try to catch up with you along the way on Monday to do Mt Washington. :yahoo:

CJ, I can get discount rates here Lodge at Lincoln Station on the hotel rooms (3) and maybe one studio. This is located in Lincoln NH right on the Cank', directly behind Gordi's . Let me know if there is any interest. I will not be able to attend the ride but can make the arrangements. George

Edit: Here's a question for those staying Monday: Will anyone want to return to the Fireside Inn on Monday night? Or will everyone be going their separate ways at the end of the day?

If I'm able to stay for Monday, and I should be, and if I can get a room Sunday night . . . I'll ride Mount Washington and then head for home once we're done on the mountain - love to stay the full day - but payback for Monday is going to be a bitch as it is . . .

Fred- I agree, the Kanc 3 times may be a bit much, but WAY better than 302 to get to 16 IMO. Ya gotta get east somehow to get to Mt Washington and Rt 2 is just boring. I also have no need to get back to the Fireside Inn, and judging from most, no one else is either?? Sounds like everyone will be wanting to head back sooner rather than later, so I'm thinking that we can all part ways after the climb up Mt Washington and down. I'd prefer to keep the group together til we get to the parking lot at the bottom, just on the off chance anyone has an issue going down. But, that doesn't mean people who want or need to leave can't. :)

If 113 is crap, then no need to push it, it can easily be dropped. Folks are gonna have a full weekend as it is. I was just offering this trip mainly for those who really want to do the auto road who have never been or really wanted to do it but couldn't fit in to saturday's ride. But, some nice side attractions that will be missed on saturday's ride is definitely Hurricane Mtn Rd and Mt W. I also like the Stinson Lake loop..... too bad 113 is not in good shape, it's a really nice ride!

bbdig- Thanks for the intel on 113. Damn shame. :( Would love to have ya along for the rest of the ride if'n you can make it! :)

George- Thank you very kindly for your generosity, obliged! :) I'll leave it to the individuals to post up here or to PM you if that is OK. I myself need to head back home and can't stay another night and guessing most others do as well.

VH- I don't think Sunday night will be an issue in getting a room. You may want to just call and check availability. I'm glad you'll be able to make the ride, despite the bitch, I mean payback :p

Art- yeah, sucks, don't it :angry2: . Using my first ill day at my new job myself. Hope I don't get sunburned! :lol:

CJ,

I think you are confusing 113 and 118. 118 is the one that you take to get over to Rt 25 toward Stinson Lake. It is also a bit beat up, but is still a decent ride. 113 skirts the southern perimeter of the White Mts just above the big lakes (Winni and Squam) and runs directly parallel to the Kank. So that would have been an alternate to Rte 28 in getting back west to Concord without taking the Kank again.

So we'll leave the Monday route like this (Google Map clicky) just over to Mt Washington and then people can wing it after that.

I'm pretty sure the Canucks will be wanting to head back North through Gorham and Rt 2 east afterward.

Harlan's best route from there might be Rt 2 west to I91 south to Rt 4 West?

The rest of us can meander southward together.

Fred - yep - I know Rt 2 very well from my fall solo trip to Maine - sounds like a plan - good thing it's summer and I'll have the extra daylight to work with - I'm going to need it.

I was thinking the same thing, for you, toophast and the canucks. You'll all have long days.

According to Mapquest (which is pretty close to accurate IME) it'll be just over 3 hours of saddle time from the Fireside Inn to the top of Mt Washington. That doesn't include any stops or breaks.

That might be helpful in deciding what time the Monday ride wants to head out in the AM.

I think you are confusing 113 and 118. 118 is the one that you take to get over to Rt 25 toward Stinson Lake. It is also a bit beat up, but is still a decent ride. 113 skirts the southern perimeter of the White Mts just above the big lakes (Winni and Squam) and runs directly parallel to the Kank. So that would have been an alternate to Rte 28 in getting back west to Concord without taking the Kank again.
Actually, no, I'm not confusing them at all. Yes, I plan on doing 118 to 25 to get to the Kanc. Was making two points:

1. bbdig said 113 was crap and that was the ending portion of the days ride, so with that said we can just leave that section out. 113 runs south to north from Fryeburg to Rt 2. clicky

2. I think the Kanc is a better ride to get to 16 and Mt W than going up 302- just as scenic and more twisty. Just my .02 cents.

just over to Mt Washington and then people can wing it after that.
I agree, we can decide what we'd like to do at the summit both collectively and individually. :)

I'd still like to do the Mon trip up Mnt Washington. I haven't been up in several years. I'll need to decide when it gets closer,work and family may make the decision for me.If I can go I probably won't stay at the Fireside Inn, there's a place in Marlow that I can stay at, but that would put me pretty far away so the start /meet time could prove interesting and then so would the ride home. But interesting is good! Peter

I'd still like to do the Mon trip up Mnt Washington. I haven't been up in several years. I'll need to decide when it gets closer,work and family may make the decision for me.If I can go I probably won't stay at the Fireside Inn, there's a place in Marlow that I can stay at, but that would put me pretty far away so the start /meet time could prove interesting and then so would the ride home. But interesting is good! Peter
Peter,

No worries, mate! This is a low stress, bonus add-on. You don't have to know til you show!

Actually, no, I'm not confusing them at all. Yes, I plan on doing 118 to 25 to get to the Kanc. Was making two points:

1. bbdig said 113 was crap and that was the ending portion of the days ride, so with that said we can just leave that section out. 113 runs south to north from Fryeburg to Rt 2. clicky

2. I think the Kanc is a better ride to get to 16 and Mt W than going up 302- just as scenic and more twisty. Just my .02 cents.
I see where the confusion stems from. The part of Rt 113 that bbdig and I were talking about it is from Conway down thru Sandwich just on the north side of Squam lake, and eventually Rte 93 in Ashland. I was proposing to add that on to the end of the loop after coming down thru Evans Notch. I think the section thru Evans Notch is still OK, just the southern part that is beat up bad.

Yes, I prefer the Kank and Bear notch Rd on the way over to Mt Washington.

My bad Fred :) . I thought it was in reference to the section I linked in the first post. Does anyone know how this portion has fared this winter or ridden it this year?

I see where the confusion stems from. The part of Rt 113 that bbdig and I were talking about it is from Conway down thru Sandwich just on the north side of Squam lake, and eventually Rte 93 in Ashland. I was proposing to add that on to the end of the loop after coming down thru Evans Notch. I think the section thru Evans Notch is still OK, just the southern part that is beat up bad.

bbdig said:

I was refering to the section from Conway noth to rt 2. Typical Maine bumps and rips

I will be riding all day monday with any that are still willin' then tues to top of VT and back down rt 100 ---- don't have to be anywhere special till Friday :yahoo: