My First Long Trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddletramp

Reaction score
Early Friday morning I'll roll my blue FJR out of my garage & begin a 900 mile trip (one way)to central Utah. Knowing me I won't sleep well on Thursday night so I'll probably leave at some ungodly early hour. This will be my first long trip on the FJR. I've done a few 300+ mile days but most of the 6,900 miles i have logged on the bike were shorter trips.

It's a bit difficult for me to leave my trusted Honda Valkyrie in the garage. With it's Corbin backrest & seat, floorboards, highway footrests, vista cruise, Baker Air Wings, & big Honda windshield it's been a very comfortable ride over the 41,000 miles I've ridden it. Why would I take the FJR instead? Am I fooking insane? I'm a 49 year old grandpa for Pete's sake!

Here's my answer: The Valkyrie is becoming a bit boring. It drones along quietly like my grand dads old Electra 225. A true lazy boy on wheels. It also loves gas! It's like a barn sour horse when it passes a gas station. It just begs to stop & slurp up a little unleaded. With a whopping 120 mile range it takes forever to get anywhere.

I'm so jacked about taking the FJR I could almost push it there! Smooth ride, gobs of power, adjustable windshield for rain & heat issues. Yup, peeing down both legs just thinking about it.

If you see a blue streak going southeast on I-84 that will be me! I plan to slab it down & come home on the two lanes through Sun Valley, Sawtooth MTS, & freakin' LOLO PASS!

See ya out there! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Bout time!

Get that doggy on out there, and have one hell of a great time.

Lolo Pass is AWESOME!!!!

Greg

49 you're just a kid fer cryin out loud. Wife and I are, well lets say older, just finished a 4,800 mile trip. Me on the FJR her on my old FZ1. Hope you have as good a time as we did, hated to come back to reality. JB

Hey Gasman!

We have something in common. When I ride the FJR with my wife she rides my FZ1 too! She loves the thing.

Now if the weather is a bit cool or rainy, she will roll out the Valkyrie. It kinda fun watching her ride that thing since she is only 5'3" and about 130#s.

It's nice having options.

Saddletramp, my wife's vertically challenged as well at 5ft. 1in., I made the lowering links for the FZ1 and also dropped the triple clamps a bit. With her biker boots with the big heels she can darn near stand flat footed. And yes she loves it too. Came off of a SV650, which she loved as well but not nearly as much as the FZ1. JB

Hey stop in Boise and say hi. I'll buy you lunch!

-r

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I could do that! I should be in Boise around lunch time on Friday. My cell # is 509.750.4747 & my real name is Travis. My wife has family around the Boise area so we visit quite often.

Were you at Techday in Sunnyside last fall? I went there on my FZ1 & rode part way back towards Seattle with a gentleman on an FJR from Boise. He was headed to a Mariners game as I recall. I was just curious if that might have been you.

It looks like Boise will be a hot one on Friday! :angry:

Cool.

I'll try and give you a ring. No worries if you can't do it I'll understand. It's just fun to meet people.

I didn't make it last fall so that wasn't me. But I was up around Lake Coeur d'Alene last weekend on my blue FJR and I saw another blue FJR.

What a great trip except for the huge rain/wind storms on the way back. The FJR did good though.

-r