My First (second, third, fourth) Track Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew231506

0 Posts Per Day
Reaction score
My First (second, third, fourth) Track Day

Well I wanted to post about my first track day but I waited too long and now there has been four! :clapping: I’m not going to write in depth about them, because lets be honest, no body cares. So here is the abridged version for your reading pleasure.

1st Track Day:

Clueless, anxious, terrified, excited, terrified. After day one I wasn’t sure if it was fun or not. I had spent all day going as fast as I could while trying not to die.

2nd + track days: A blast! I knew where to park, I knew about “tech”, I knew the rider meeting and I knew there were a lot of shittier riders than myself. By the end of the day I was getting both knees down and cornering faster each time through. Even while thinking there is no possible way the bike can make it but it would, over and over. Pretty neat if ya ask me.

Tracks ridden: Summit Point Main, VIR North, Summit Point Shenandoah- Shenandoah was my favorite, though the concrete walls scared me a bit.

Kieth Code’s California Superbike School Level 1:

I had been looking forward to this day for a long time. This was my birthday gift from my wife. I used the schools bike for the day. Now, it seems when talking about schools or training classes everyone has nothing but good things to say. In fact it’s almost annoying, I feel like I could put together a school in an empty lot, go in a few circles, mention counter steering, and everyone would love it. So it’s tough to tell which school you’d like best because all the reviews are always great.

Here’s my take on CSS. First off, Keith Code was truly amazing. I couldn’t believe he taught and spoke so well in the classroom after doing a million of these schools. He was impressive to say the least. My coach came off as kind of uninterested…more like how I thought Keith Code would act. He was how you would expect someone to be who has taught hundreds of groups of riders, lots of scripted answers, seen it all, pretends to listen, pretends to be interested. There is very little one on one instruction and/or feedback. At first I was pretty excited because there were only three of us for one coach. Or so I thought, but they have other sessions in which the coach has other students participating in. So here’s how it works, you sit in the classroom with Keith, then out to practice a drill. The coach (if he has time) will tail you for a bit. Then after your session you run back to the cones and your coach asks a few scripted questions. How’d you do? What corner did you do well on? What corner did you struggle with? But you had to answer quickly and you couldn’t ask many questions because the coach has to get to each of you and meanwhile his other group is out on the track and he has to get out there asap to see them. My coach was even training another coach so if you had a question you felt like you were butting in while he was talking to the other coach…or he would simply ignore you. The other guys in my group were pretty happy with the coaching. They were new to everything so if the coach mentioned “counter steering” or “lean angle” they’d smile like they just learned the holy grail of riding.

Is it a good school? Yes, absolutely, just a few minor annoyances which one would expect or should have expected with a school this large. The classroom work was excellent and informative, the instructors have a wealth of knowledge and present it well. Keith was amazing, his wife and son were also very helpful. The school gives you a chance to practice drills on the track, which can be tough to do elsewhere, even on a track day, here everyone is practicing. Was it worth it? Yea, for $450 (your own bike) but maybe not for the $650 (using their bike). I’d definitely bring your own bike…yes the FJR would be fine. Unless you're new to a sportbike, then this would be a great opportunity to try one. The skills ranged from beginners (prolly 70%) to expert racers. I’ll probably attend level 2 and so on...but I’m also going to try some other schools.

(remember these opinions were based on my experience, yours may differ)

A couple track day pics...

Promotion1PS.jpg

20 degree banking...

promotion2%20PS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Track days are addicting. They are also pricey after one goes down once... even more if you do it twice.

Enjoy all those awesome track days. :yahoo: Don't let the odds get you... :dribble:

Thanks for the write up. I'm looking to try and do CSS down in Australia sometime.... I suppose Mr. Code won't be there, hopefully the same level of instruction exists tho!

I have attended 3 levels of code and will do the 4th when the GF does II or III, never have any of his instructors acted like that. Interesting. Hopefully you put this on a critique form.

Otherwise a good experience for you, good.

My son wants to do CSS @ Mid-Ohio next summer which means I'll have to go also. I imagine I'll have all those emotions also. Had a nice conversation with Code @ Yamaha dinner in Monterray Aquarium last year during Laguna Seca.

Drew, this was a really useful report on a track day. You're so spot-on about going round and round in a parking lot mentioning "counter steeering," drawing favorable reviews from some.

Thanks for the detail and the critical eye.

Drew,

I've been to Keith Code 4 times. It's awesome, he and his coaches are excellent. It sounds like you got a bum coach. I can tell you for a fact that every coach I've had gave me sufficient time and attention and did not 'script' anything. I suggest you go to Keith's website and contact Coby Fair who is the head coach. He'd appreciate the feedback.

Keith and family have been great representatives of motorcycling and are teaching skills and safety on a global scale. Give them a call to show appreciation through your feedback.

dgfella

Talked to a rider during Vintage Motorcycle Days @ Mid-Ohio & he was very positive re the CSS. He mentioned they had one drill during which you chose one gear & rode the lap in that gear with no brake usage. He said he used 4th gear & really learned a lot of throttle control. Did you have that exercise? My son & I are going to take the course next year.

Follow up:

I've now done ~12 track days and I have learned A LOT about riding a motorcycle in that time. I decided I would invest more in seat time than in the schools. It has been a great learning experience and I have met a lot of really good people. It's not cheap, tires are the real killer, along with all of the safety gear. I have done one race as part of a local track day. It was a blast...and I'm considering doing some WERA or CCS races next year. But we'll see...with the expense and the danger the sport presents, I may talk myself out of it.

I'm sure those of you who are going to the school will get a lot out of it, I did. It's a good program, though in retrospect I wish I would have gone to the Schwantz school. Also if you haven't already, do a track day. The coaches at local track days are usually excellent and give you great feedback on your skill level and it costs a fraction of what these schools cost. If anyone has any questions or concerns about track days, shoot me a PM. I knew nothing about it when i started and it can be overwhelming. Most of the people that attend track days are new to them anyway...then there's a group that do them as their hobby, then there's those who 'graduate' to racing, and the occasional track day rider.

A recent photo...

shenny%208.18.08.JPG