My FJR Grew A Hump!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Farlow

Reaction score
So I was at work today, and the FedEx guy dropped off a package for me... and I mean dropped off (but that's for another discussion).

Smuggler%2001.jpg

Smuggler%2002.jpg

So far, so good. The fit is a bit tight, but it does fit. More room inside than I was expecting, although it is still a small storage space (but more than I had before). I love that it fits into the lines of the bike. I could have gotten a Givi (or similar), but since I never have a passenger, this was a better solution for me.

Why this showed up before the seat, I don't know, especially since I was told this wouldn't show up until some time in May. Oh well.

So... what's next? Hm... small loan, perhaps, so I can keep on going!

Last edited by a moderator:
Um... INFO!?! PLEEEEZE! because that looks pretty damn snappy and I want one too!

Yeah, FedEx... they "dropped off" a server of ours, and it's no longer square at any corner. But hey, the guys at the other support center decided against insuring it, so it's Not My Problem. And they're still better than UPS... grrrr.

I've got one of those and I love it. I loved it so much that I ordered one for my FZ1, too. I guess I know why the FZ1's is late. They were making yours. ;-)

Bunch of copy cats..........

gotta love it though, now you need to put a bulkhead connector on it for power.....

DSC_3219.jpg

R

Um... INFO!?! PLEEEEZE! because that looks pretty damn snappy and I want one too!
https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr1306.shtml

It's a Corbin Smuggler, a hand-made fiberglass replacement for the passenger seat that gives you some extra trunk space without the "alien head" box on the back of the bike (Givi top box, for example).

Fair warning, though, the Smuggler isn't cheap. Nice, but not cheap. Prepare yourself for sticker shock if you check out the Corbin site.

Yeah, FedEx... they "dropped off" a server of ours, and it's no longer square at any corner. But hey, the guys at the other support center decided against insuring it, so it's Not My Problem. And they're still better than UPS... grrrr.
Ha! Yeah, I heard one of the accountants yell out "Ian, I think you have a package," and when I rounded the corner, the sickening thud of the package hitting the floor caught my attention. Ungh... :angry2:

I've got one of those and I love it. I loved it so much that I ordered one for my FZ1, too. I guess I know why the FZ1's is late. They were making yours. ;-)
Yeah, sorry about that. I called for a status update, and they told me that mine was in line right after one for an FZ1. I so cleverly told them that I had a crisp one dollar bill in my pocket that they could have if they bumped mine to the top of the list! :ph34r:

They hung up on me. :p

Kidding... it took about 28 days, which is actually not too bad when you consider their target was the end of May.

now you need to put a bulkhead connector on it for power.....
Do tell...

I sort of wish it just a little taller with more room. It seems rather a large tradeoff (rear seat) for such a small space. Sure looks pretty though.

now you need to put a bulkhead connector on it for power....Do tell...
Well i thought i had pictures of it but i guess i don't.

Basically it is a powerlet Bulk head connector that i mounted at the rear of the Smuggler so i could charge my phone while riding as the bluetooth really chews up the batteries.

R

I love my Smuggler - it is the ultimate in convenience (though it would be nicest if it was keyed like the bike).

I have to say that the bike looks, well . . . mean with the Corbin in place and the bags off, which is a fairly common configuration for me.

Watch those boots when mounting and dismounting because the black is quite probably unforgiving of scratches. And you will eventually see some scuffing on the tail piece given the way it is mounted.

Lastly, on the issue of 'care and maintenance' - the front edges of the Smuggler are NOT protected when you set it on a shelf or on the driveway - the painted edge touches the surface, so be aware that you can scratch it unless you put a cloth down under the leading edge when it is off the machine.

Hadn't thought about powering it, even if it is extremely close to the Blueseas block . . . it isn't as if the darn thing is waterproof (note!!) - the obvious question being whether to wire it to a switched, or to an unswitched power source? And if it was a switched source, then maybe lighting up the interior with one or two white LEDs ? ? ? ?

I don't think you need bother with a bulkhead connector - I suspect I'd be just as happy with a loose connector passing through a smaller hole given the lack of a proper structure to mount anything reasonable.

Pricey? Yes. But I did manage to snag a pretty good deal on someone's overstock.

Well i thought i had pictures of it but i guess i don't. Basically it is a powerlet Bulk head connector that i mounted at the rear of the Smuggler so i could charge my phone while riding as the bluetooth really chews up the batteries.
Good idea. Might have to tinker this weekend.

I love my Smuggler - it is the ultimate in convenience (though it would be nicest if it was keyed like the bike).
Have you checked on having it rekeyed? I asked Corbin and they said they didn't know if it was possible. I have the third core that came with my bike and am considering talking with a locksmith to see if anything could be done with it.

I know this isn't its primary purpose but how much back support does it provide? Looks sweet...
Eh... I consider it more of a butt-bumper than anything else. It lets me know that I am sitting back on the seat, but doesn't seem to provide anything to lean against, considering that when I ride I am sitting angled slightly forward and the Smuggler "backrest" is angled slightly backwards.

I sort of wish it just a little taller with more room. It seems rather a large tradeoff (rear seat) for such a small space. Sure looks pretty though.
A little taller would be nice, but it is deeper than it might appear. Let me run out and get a few pictures...

Okay... some pictures (a bit dark, sorry) of the Smuggler open.

Smuggler%2003.jpg
[SIZE=8pt]1: The lid open, with the goofy Corbin sticker on the inside. Going to have to remove that. Oh, and that's[/SIZE]

the ruler sticking up, not a part of the Smuggler, just in case anyone is curious.

Smuggler%2004.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]2: Just over 6 inches deep in the main part of the Smuggler.[/SIZE]

Smuggler%2005.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]3: A little more than 12 inches wide (more like 14 inches or so).[/SIZE]

Smuggler%2006.jpg

[SIZE=8pt]4: Just shy of 12 inches from front to rear.[/SIZE]
Hope that helps make it a bit more clear what kind of room is inside the Smuggler. Not huge, but not too bad either.

Fair warning, though, the Smuggler isn't cheap. Nice, but not cheap. Prepare yourself for sticker shock if you check out the Corbin site.
Yikes. $855 with sales tax, but that does look like a quality hinge and other work. For that price though, I would want it keyed to the bike. Maybe I'll ride over to Corbin and talk to some people. I wonder how well they match the nasty "Dr. Pepper" color of my '07...

Yikes. $855 with sales tax, but that does look like a quality hinge and other work. For that price though, I would want it keyed to the bike. Maybe I'll ride over to Corbin and talk to some people. I wonder how well they match the nasty "Dr. Pepper" color of my '07...
Yeah... hurts, but the pain does subside, I promise!

I expect they can match it without problem, but don't know for sure. If you do stop by, take the lock core for your bike (if you got the third one) and let them tinker with it to see if they can make it work. I would be interested in their opinion after actually looking at the core versus just considering it over the phone.

Man, those pics are giving me the wants for a smuggler for my black beauty, but I sure hate to lose the ability to strap down soft luggage on my rear seat. I wonder if there is any way to bolt/attach a small luggage rack to the lid of the smuggler so that stuff can be bungeed to it?