My LIDAR experience yesterday

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thought is this....Have you ever advised on a traffic violator??? If so, you have no business writing any fellow Peace Warriors ever!! Even if they were 3 digits. Because you have used discretion in the past. And what kind would tag his Mother or Brother---fellow Ofc(even when their wrong).I have only ever known of a few Officers(other than troopers)in all my years that have knowingly tagged another Officer and they did'nt last long because they were publicly hated by the rest and had a hard time getting backup when they needed it.
Wow , what a completety fu'd attitude !!!

Let me see if I have this correct, .. I have a badge, I can break the law 'cause it does not apply to me and I'm above the law, don't dare write me a ticket 'cause if you need backup... you can die 'cause I'm not helping !

And you wonder why so many people distust and / or hate LEO ????

Grow up !! :(
+1. Is this just the tip of the iceberg? Oh I feel alot safer now. Wow, what happened to honesty and accountability? PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saying:

I know a fellow rider who is a LEO that got spanked considerably harder than most of us with a citation. Nailed by a plane on a (3 distinct vehicle code violation*) reckless charge while on a ride out in a reasonably rural area, the Deputy D.A.** would NOT cut him a break and plead it down to a reasonable charge . . . BECAUSE he is a LEO. Going to trial with a jury (Deputy D.A. unwilling to try it before a judge) on a reckless as a LEO is NOT a confidence inspiring use of substantial funds for one's attorney, despite the fact that one of the charges (of the 3 necessary to support the "reckless") was bullshit. So, he pled to the reckless (that most of us would never have had to plead to) and got tagged not only with a very significant fine, but also with unpaid suspension at work, etc. All this for something many of us have done, gotten away with and even if caught, never had to pay the same penalty for.

Just saying:

Sometimes it is helpful to try to walk in another's shoes for a bit before deciding to condemn him. The world quite often isn't really a fair place . . . for any of us.

* IIRC, it was (1) passing a car on a double yellow while (2) speeding and (3) rolling through a stop sign without coming to a complete stop.

** Very junior deputies D.A. are usually found in traffic court, trials provide them the best career experience, and they are VERY conscious of their conviction record. (A couple notches in the old dic_, errr. . . , gun, on this one.)

I'm sure as hell not going to be one to throw the first stone as I, like nearly everyone else on this board, would likely get spanked for the things we didn't get caught doing.

But I agree with Highlander in the f'd up attitude. I'd love to see someone NOT come cover me because I did my job. I suffered no repercussions after arresting a fellow officer for DUII. The reason is probably because of all people who know the dangers of drunk driving, cops, paramedics, fire fighters, insurance agents, nurses and doctors go right to the top of the list that really ought to know better.

But, I've said in other threads, and I'll say it again here, policing in the Pacific NW is significantly different than elsewhere. We take pride in our integrity, and we hold ourselves to a higher standard. And I'm ok with that.

Wicked, IF you are a cop, without being too harsh, I hope you recognize the disdain you create with the public you are serving when you talk about your badge like it's a get out of jail free card. To me, and most of the cops I know, it is the exact opposite.

Pony,

Pride and integrity....huh.........Pony do you speed? Have you sped???? Have you been stopped on your bike? Did you let um know your a cop(so you say)?? Sounds like you walk the line... of honesty and integrity huh? Have you issued yourself one(TAG) when you've been above the limit??

HAH....... I dont think I was talking about a, "get out of jail free card," as you referred. I think I was referring to discretion involving minor traffic infractions.......BUT GO AHEAD AND PUT ANY SPIN YOU WANT ON IT. I am not going to get into a ethical debate about Professional Courtesy(I didnt invent it but I do believe in it, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else). As you know, most John Doe's can't understand it(unless they have done the job). I have let plenty of people off with warnings so why wouldn't I warn a fellow Officer that may save my life someday(or understands what it is to lose friends to the job). I don't tag alot of people. ONLY THE ASSHOLES (Suspended, Revoked, Canceled, Crooks, Drunks, Jerks.... ect!!). I think some of the critics on this board would rather see me in their rearview mirror than you Pony. Who would you rather get pulled over by,....... A busy street cop in a large metro area looking for criminal activities or A traffic cop trying to pump out his/her tags for the day so they can go eat breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinner?? Real street cops dont have a need to bragg(blogg)about how many tags they have written to poor saps and what kinda cops they are....

YOU EITHER KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT OR YOU DONT...

I do know what you are talking about. You (or people like you in my profession) are the reason it is increasingly difficult to do the job in a town like Portland. You have no idea what accountability is. Nor ethics IMO.

I have no issues whatsoever publishing my name, DPSST #, department, position, or ANYTHING else like that on a public forum, because what I say is the same no matter whether it is a circle of friends, roll call room full of cops, or on this board. But you see, your still a newbie on this forum hiding behind anonymity. And you don't have the institutional knowledge that the rest of us have here. As far as we can tell, you are just a wannabe. They KNOW I'm a cop.

But, to say I'm a traffic cop, nope, you are wrong. I've been a street cop my entire career. A busy metro street cop, eh? If in fact you are one, perhaps not waiting on the sidelines for the "Big One" and actually getting out into the neighborhoods and talking with people to see what matters to them would be a better use of your time, and your department's.

But, to answer your question, yes, I've been pulled over before. Yes, I've been cited before. I've also given warnings too. As mentioned before, I only write about 1 in 3 that I pull over. Although, since I got promoted, I haven't written that many. I never said anything about not speeding and being perfect. But when it comes to accountability to the public, I am no different than any other citizen. If I get a ticket (which I have), I most likely deserved it (which I did). And no, I wasn't always this way. I was once like you. Then I matured and saw the bigger picture.

with that seriously bad and confrontational attitude toward a fellow leo i doubt ur a cop webby. and like pony said, ur attitude makes all cops look bad and reflects poorly on us all. since ur info says anoka i'm curious what deptmt u work for since i work in msp metro.

with that seriously bad and confrontational attitude toward a fellow leo i doubt ur a cop webby. and like pony said, ur attitude makes all cops look bad and reflects poorly on us all. since ur info says anoka i'm curious what deptmt u work for since i work in msp metro.

WELL...I SUSPECT IF YOU ASK AROUND THE TWINCITIES AREA YOU CAN PROBABLY FIGURE OUT WHO I AM AND WHERE I WORK(IF YOU ARE ON THE JOB SOMEWHERE). I WORK FOR ONE OF THE THREE LARGEST DEPARTMENTS IN THE STATE,(AND WORKED FOR ONE 3X LARGER THAN ANY IN OUR STATE PREVIOUSLY). HAD A "TAKEHOME" HOG FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS OF MY CAREER(THATS WHY I DON'T LIKE TAGGIN TAX PAYERS NO MORE!!!). HELPED TRAIN MOST OF THE MOTOR COPS IN THIS STATE THAT GOT A MOTORCYCLE PROGRAM OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS. LIKE I TOLD PONY, I WILL GLADLY COMPARE CREDENTIALS WITH YOU IF U WANNA PM ME. BLAZIN I HAVE YET TO HEAR WHERE YOU WORK AND YOUR POSITION...MAN UP AND LET ME KNOW(AT LEAST PONY SAYS HUH). AND FURTHER...MOST STREET COPS DONT CHOOSE TO ANNOUNCE THEY'RE NAME AND POSITION ALL OVER THE NET CAUSE SOME/MOST HAVE ARRESTED REALLY BAD PEOPLE WHO ARE OR HAVE BEEN IN PRISON AND MAYBE OUT ECT ECT.. SO YES I CHOOSE NOT TO GIVE IT ALL OUT. BUT BLAZIN, PM ME THE DEPARTMENT YOU WORK FOR AND YOUR POST NUMBER AND WE WILL SEE WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE(I WILL RECEPICATE)..... AND AS FOR PONY TALKING ABOUT MATURITY...PONY PM ME AND LETS SHARE WAR STORIES ABOUT OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTINGS, HOMICIDES, GUNS, DOPE, GANGS AND SUCH. LETS CHECK OUT EACH OTHERS EXPERIENCE MAYBE WE WILL FIND SOME MUTUAL RESPECT(WHEN YOU WERE A COP...IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR MANAGEMENT NOW. THAT WAS PROBABLY WHEN YOU CHANGED , "AND SAW THE BIG PICTURE HUH SGT" -HAHAHAHAHAHA).

I have no problems comparing resumes with you via PM, however, that doesn't change my point of view. Just look at some of the posts on this site from fellow FJR owners. The us vs. them mentality doesn't do anything to help cops.

Just because I enforce the law in my town does NOT give me the right to break it in another (or my own). If I get tagged while out riding in the country because I opened her up a bit, being a cop should have no bearing on getting a ticket or not getting a ticket.

Do you let fire fighters start fires in other jurisdictions because they are fire fighters?

As for the public info part. You honestly think someone who wants to find you won't be able to? After my first fatal shooting, before the internet was widely used, the friends of the "victim" had no problem finding me or where I lived. Today, every time an officer in Portland is involved in a shooting, IndyMedia puts the officer's address and phone number on their web page along with any photos they can find, the names and work places of their spouse, and the names and schools of their children, etc.

PM sent by the way.

Pony you sound alright to me..WW chill son chill.....you sound like a very angry man in your posts with something to prove? You really don't have anything to prove mate...All Coppers, Paramedics, Fireies etc put their collective arses on the line every day in all parts of the world, and as far as I'm concerned they have by virtue of what they do get to play the "No Charge today" card occasionally. Swings and round-a-bouts man....

I have no problems comparing resumes with you via PM, however, that doesn't change my point of view. Just look at some of the posts on this site from fellow FJR owners. The us vs. them mentality doesn't do anything to help cops.
Just because I enforce the law in my town does NOT give me the right to break it in another (or my own). If I get tagged while out riding in the country because I opened her up a bit, being a cop should have no bearing on getting a ticket or not getting a ticket.

Do you let fire fighters start fires in other jurisdictions because they are fire fighters?

As for the public info part. You honestly think someone who wants to find you won't be able to? After my first fatal shooting, before the internet was widely used, the friends of the "victim" had no problem finding me or where I lived. Today, every time an officer in Portland is involved in a shooting, IndyMedia puts the officer's address and phone number on their web page along with any photos they can find, the names and work places of their spouse, and the names and schools of their children, etc.

PM sent by the way.

They even post the spouse's name and work place and schools? Man that's rotten! The hate mail and stuff sent to me wouldn't bother me nearly as much as bugging my family! :angry:

WELL...I SUSPECT IF YOU ASK AROUND THE TWINCITIES AREA YOU CAN PROBABLY FIGURE OUT WHO I AM AND WHERE I WORK(IF YOU ARE ON THE JOB SOMEWHERE). I WORK FOR ONE OF THE THREE LARGEST DEPARTMENTS IN THE STATE,(AND WORKED FOR ONE 3X LARGER THAN ANY IN OUR STATE PREVIOUSLY). HAD A "TAKEHOME" HOG FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS OF MY CAREER(THATS WHY I DON'T LIKE TAGGIN TAX PAYERS NO MORE!!!). HELPED TRAIN MOST OF THE MOTOR COPS IN THIS STATE THAT GOT A MOTORCYCLE PROGRAM OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS. LIKE I TOLD PONY, I WILL GLADLY COMPARE CREDENTIALS WITH YOU IF U WANNA PM ME. BLAZIN I HAVE YET TO HEAR WHERE YOU WORK AND YOUR POSITION...MAN UP AND LET ME KNOW(AT LEAST PONY SAYS HUH). AND FURTHER...MOST STREET COPS DONT CHOOSE TO ANNOUNCE THEY'RE NAME AND POSITION ALL OVER THE NET CAUSE SOME/MOST HAVE ARRESTED REALLY BAD PEOPLE WHO ARE OR HAVE BEEN IN PRISON AND MAYBE OUT ECT ECT.. SO YES I CHOOSE NOT TO GIVE IT ALL OUT. BUT BLAZIN, PM ME THE DEPARTMENT YOU WORK FOR AND YOUR POST NUMBER AND WE WILL SEE WHO HAS MORE EXPERIENCE(I WILL RECEPICATE)..... AND AS FOR PONY TALKING ABOUT MATURITY...PONY PM ME AND LETS SHARE WAR STORIES ABOUT OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTINGS, HOMICIDES, GUNS, DOPE, GANGS AND SUCH. LETS CHECK OUT EACH OTHERS EXPERIENCE MAYBE WE WILL FIND SOME MUTUAL RESPECT(WHEN YOU WERE A COP...IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR MANAGEMENT NOW. THAT WAS PROBABLY WHEN YOU CHANGED , "AND SAW THE BIG PICTURE HUH SGT" -HAHAHAHAHAHA).

aaaaaaaahhhhhh u get to do motor! now i'm jealous!! our uptight agency wouldn't even think about doin that tho i've asked several times ;)

pm sent shortly...

Thug,

I ain't got nothing to prove(been there done that). Just very opinionated I guess. I agree with your outlook as I would suspect most do. As far as names of spouses and family members posted....Sounds a bit far fetched but again...I am not in the Pacific NW. Unfortunately the us against them mentality is trained into all cops(from the day you start the academy for officer survival instincts). But you are right that it is not healthy to take it home with ya. I refuse to bring it home with me but I suppose I am more JADED.

Pony.. I assume you and your attorney are rich men now, after you got through with the media companies. That is bullcrap... I have never seen it happen around here or there(my other dept.). Don't get me wrong, I have seen the media hang Officers out to dry regarding their duty records but thats about it.

Blazin and Pony...got your PM's and sent ya back. Hey have you guys been trained by Gilmartin yet...

https://emotionalsurvival.com/

If not read his book. Good stuff.....

Ride um safe Guys...and Be safe.

You have to remember where I'm working. Portland is definitely a different place. There is no constitutionally protected information when it comes to publishing folk's names, phone numbers, etc. I sent you an example via PM. I won't perpetuate what they are doing by doing the same here.

Tell me if you don't see how Portland is different after reading what I sent you.

"I WILL RECEPICATE"

Recipcate me this... Where exactly are the Twin Cities? Sorry. Originally from NY so don't know all the little places in between.

Heard of Portland though.

"I WILL RECEPICATE"

Recipcate me this... Where exactly are the Twin Cities? Sorry. Originally from NY so don't know all the little places in between.

The Quad cities are, Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa, combined with Moline and Rock Island in Illinois. There are several Tri-Cities, but the most important (because Iggy lives there) are Richland, Pasco, and Kennewick, Washington. Finally, the Twin Cities are St Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The Twin Cities are only half as good as a Quad City, and only 2/3 as good as a Tri-City!

"I WILL RECEPICATE"

The Quad cities are, Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa, combined with Moline and Rock Island in Illinois. There are several Tri-Cities, but the most important (because Iggy lives there) are Richland, Pasco, and Kennewick, Washington. Finally, the Twin Cities are St Paul and Minneapolis, Minnesota.

The Twin Cities are only half as good as a Quad City, and only 2/3 as good as a Tri-City!

HAHAHAHAHAhA that is a good one Pony. Yup, Pony that is messed up. I heard of that in Wyoming or Montana before too... MN is pretty good about private information and data privacy. Regular folks can even request their dl,car registration and phone info be private so other people(except LE)can't get their personal info. We even have laws that were specifically past to protect people from that kind of stuff(including LEO)!! Sounds like the Oregon law makers need to get with it and start protecting you and your citizens data privacy.

Ride safe guys.

Gilmarten did a seminar at Plymouth last year that I wanted to go to, but I was on shift and couldn't make it. I heard it was good and worthy of attending if he comes around again. Thx for the link I'll take a peek.

As far as us VS them, i agree that in a way it is inhrently trianed in during officer survival training and use of force and all its many reprecussions. Everything we do is after-the-fact challenged, scrutinized, criticized, and oftentimes blasted by the media, the public, our administrations and amongst ourselves. I think we just tend to take it too far into other arenas as we get more jaded, frequent negative citizen contact, negative administration contact, and little positive reinforcement. The public is probably largely not aware that most cops feel the most negativity and pressure as a result of interaction with administration that is exacerbated by dealing with less than friendly joe-blows. Cuz we all know you'll prolly get 10 letters or calls saying what an asshole you are to every 1 "thanks"!

What's the answer to this conundrum? Ride an FJR until you're overcome with monkey butt pains then have a stiff drink! but not vice versa! :yahoo:

Pony,

I haven't been around for a few months, so I'm glad to see that you're recovered and are back on the job.

FWIW, I can't imagine being happy about being pulled over by any LEO for a traffic infraction but it is good to know that there are professionals out there.

IMHI, even if cops give do each other "professional courtesies", cheesing off the taypayers by bragging about it on public forums is being somewhat less than PR savvy. And IMHO, 102 in a 50 in the city gets the prize if you get caught. It shouldn't make any difference who you are.

Cheers,

Jim

I have known many police officers. I have known them personally, and hate to say, professionally. Hell, at one point, I was on nearly a first name basis with the local court judges for traffic offenses in Anchorage.

That being said, I can honestly say as a citizen who has received a handful of deserved and a couple undeserved tickets, I would much rather be pulled over by Pony than Wicked Webby (no offense intended). Pony seems a little more even, whereas Wicked seems a little more jaded. As a citizen, I know that when I go to court, I am automatically assumed guilty. My word, no matter how accurate, is always judged less than the officer. Deserved, or not. As a citizen who pays more than his fair share in taxes, enough to employ an officer or two in some places, I have mixed feeling on the "professional courtesy". I have seen it in action. I have seen the law declared on the bottom of tickets that it is illegal to dispose of tickets without the courts approval, only to know that tickets that have been written against police and their family members have "disappeared". To some degree, that is simply corruption. Describe it as you will, defend it as you will.

As a plain citizen, I can understand protecting your own. But, taking the punishment like a man for your acts seems pretty reasonable to me. Go figure. Of course, maybe I should become an IRS tax auditor and expect the same "professional courtesy"? Would you feel that is appropriate if I decided to pay no taxes and call it a "courtesy"? Or would you see it as hypocritical, unethical... or criminal?

See, silly me, reading slogans on police cars, including "Integrity" and thinking it should be applied to all citizens. And while it may be ingrained to have a distrust for the public you are serving, I seem to feel that Integrity is a black and white issue. So, if a professional courtesy exists, how far does it extend? Is it just speeding tickets? Or as a citizen, should I also assume it means petty theft? Or larceny? Or "freebies" given by an appreciative public? Or a blind eye to more serious crimes? Where is the line drawn?

While the police officers have discretion in writing tickets, they shouldn't let someone free based upon the job they do. And while I am appreciative of the sacrifice and duty that those who protect and serve (be it military, domestic and fire), I am also dismayed by the silent majority who allow those who are not fit to serve to continue. For you are judged not based upon the best, but the worst. As a member of the public, as you judge us, we judge you. You at times assume the worst.

I have known officers who have bragged about the petty offenses they commit. The expectation of the "professional courtesy". And the power trips that some have. And those are the officers that I don't want on the streets.

I don't mind my tickets. The last couple were on stretches of open road. One was 21 miles over. The police officer, a trooper, gave me a ticket for that amount. He simply explained his position. I knew I was caught and pulled over immediately. I was in a car in the middle of nowhere (i-80 between SLC and Nevada). The last one was in Mississippi on my motorcycle. He was headed in the other direction. 26 over. I saw him, slowed down and awaited for him to catch me. I pulled over when I had the safe opportunity. After all this, me driving slow for him, he was surprised. He expected me to bolt. He told me he had captured my plate on video just in-case. Ironic, because had I bolted, considering the situation, he would have never had a chance to catch my plate. No break. I paid each fine and took the penalty. And I was respectful each time.

This is just a rhetorical question, which need not be answered. If a lawyer assaulted another officer and the DA decided to give a "professional courtesy", what would be your opinion of the DA?

I hope you take these thoughts as a citizen who is not against police. I am not. I believe the vast majority do a decent job. Some are stellar. And others just need to be fired.