My new rear tire has rotated 12" relative to the rim!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorlac

Reaction score
I spooned on a new Shinko Raven using NoMar tire Lube, the same lube that I've used on a few Concours rear tires and they've stayed put.

The tire has spun on the rim 6" on each of the last two rides and it's disconcerting to say the least, not to mention screwing my balancing and the potential for loosing air, which thankfully hasn't happened! :dribble:

I was skeptical when I read that sportbikers that used soapy water as tire lube have had this happen, I'm not now! :blink:

I've also read that others have used Pledge, or Spray Way glass cleaner as mounting lube, but I would think that something that evaporates without leaving a film behind would prevent this from happening.

I'm going to pull the wheel, pop the bead, re-line up the dot, clean the tire and rim real well, and try this again. :glare:

Anybody have this happen to them?

never happened in many a no-mar lube change :blink:

I clean each rim before I install a new one though. You may have trash (read old rubber) causing a slippage

Anybody have this happen to them?
Hasn't happened to me so far...have changed only 5 FJR rears so far this year but do clean them before levering on new tires.

Will be no-marring on a couple of RoadSmarts next week and will watch closely for this during a trip last week of the month.

dougc

I did carefully clean the rims of old rubber residue before mounting these tires.

Although the Shinko went on without a fight, if you run your finger near the bead there is residue from the lube.

I know that Jeff Ashe ran a Shinko and was just OK with it, and I probably don't ride like him, so unless they've changed the tire recipe, I thought it'd be OK.

I guess unless you purposely look, you might not notice it slipping.

I use a NAPA commercial tire mounting lubricant and have never had that problem. Supposed to help seal the tire bead when it drys and the container says it will not result in tire rotation on rim. I believe it, since the tires are always really well set whenever it comes time to break the bead and change tires. It was something like $4 for a gallon a couple years ago from a NAPA auto parts store.

Supposed to help seal the tire bead when it drys and the container says it will not result in tire rotation on rim. I believe it, since the tires are always really well set whenever it comes time to break the bead and change tires.
2247302-plus1.gif

The last one I dismounted (BT-021) was on there pretty damned securely and it only took on about four pounds of air during the life (6500 mi.) of the tire.

Yep, BTDT with the Stinkos. Look at the difference in the rubber compounds and associated reinforcement in that area. Dunlops, Michelin, Pirelli etc., all have rim areas that border on "chewy" and have never slipped on me.

Stinkos have slipped several inches. It's just plain scary.

That's hard to understand. I actually grease my tire beads with silicone grease. Makes them go on and come off easy, much easier to break the bead for dismount, and prevents corrosion on the rim. I never had one slip. My friend on a ZZR ran a 10.3 with tires I greased on and had no problems.

Yep, BTDT with the Stinkos. Stinkos have slipped several inches. It's just plain scary.
I musta missed this little information tidbit in your review. <_<

What did you use as mounting lube, and since you ran them till they were worn, did they ever stop rotating?

If they stop after 360', I'm golden. :rolleyes:

Yep, BTDT with the Stinkos. Stinkos have slipped several inches. It's just plain scary.
I musta missed this little information tidbit in your review. <_<

What did you use as mounting lube, and since you ran them till they were worn, did they ever stop rotating?

If they stop after 360', I'm golden. :rolleyes:
I did not include it in the review because I wasn't sure that it was a characteristic of the tire until I removed them and compared the edges between brands.

My rear was the only one that slipped. I don't think it ever stopped rotating.

I used NoMar tire snot as well, but have had zero issues with it on other brands.

Grumpy will jump in here soon and declare that the problem is 100% due to my right hand. Same thing my Mom used to say.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a Shinko and can't really say a whole lot bad about it. I always mark tires when I mount them and there was no sign of rotating over 6k miles and when I took it off it still had life in it.

I am not a road racer type but I do ride somewhat sporting and the Shinko worked just fine and I might add that in the rain and snow on Iggy's ss1k it never felt like it was going away at any time.

I ran a Shinko and can't really say a whole lot bad about it. I always mark tires when I mount them and there was no sign of rotating over 6k miles and when I took it off it still had life in it.I am not a road racer type but I do ride somewhat sporting and the Shinko worked just fine and I might add that in the rain and snow on Iggy's ss1k it never felt like it was going away at any time.
Thanks, Do you remember what you used for tire lube when you mounted it?I'm pretty sure that the water soluble lump in the spray bottle that NomMar sells is Murphy's oil soap. Soap

Did you feel that Shinko went onto the rim almost too easy?

I'm going to clean up and re-seat the bead before I give up on it.

I searched around a bit and couldn't find complaints about the Shinkos slipping on the rim.

Thanks, Do you remember what you used for tire lube when you mounted it?I'm pretty sure that the water soluble lump in the spray bottle that NomMar sells is Murphy's oil soap. Soap
Dude, you need to give up on the tire lube as the source of your problem. I and many others have used it with no issues.

It's the POS tire you put on!