My son Tom has left the nest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
My youngest son Tom left home today at the ripe age of 17 (just like his Dad did a long time ago)to attend Santa Barbra City College. Since he was 12 he has said he was born to be on the stage and has done quite well in our local theater as well as school productions. As an actor he is following his passion to be in film or television industry. He prefers acting but I think he also has directing qualities, who knows where this will lead but he does have an amazing sense of drive and direction for his age. Lets see, he left today and has a meeting with a well known casting director for a tour of Paramount Studios followed up by dinner in LA on Friday. The kid already has connections in the industry and understands a big part of his future is "who you know".

As country parents we feel a bit better about his safety living in SB over LA, plus our visits down there will be fun. I and the Feejeer haven't been to SB yet so I see some rides down that way this winter for sure. My lovely wife and Tom are real close so this has been a bit tough for her plus having to put our 13 year old Westie dog Tori down 2 weeks ago was hard.

Then our 20 year old son says he's moving to Chico this fall (good for him) so we may be empty nesters real soon but I'm cool with that and she will be soon so we can enjoy some freedom with out worry of an animal house party at our home while traveling- Boys WILL be Boys, eh?!

I do have a request from my fellow forum heads in the SB area. IF anything should happen where he needs assistance from a local (auto trouble or ??) before Dad can get there it would be reassuring to know I've got his back through my FJR buds. Plus I guarantee there will be a truck load of you favorite beverage to boot when I get down there. Thanks in advance, Dougbug

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, they all must choose their own path, and for oft than not, it doesn't match what we planned at their birth. You speak proudly and positively of him, so that in itself shows volumes about what good qualities you have taught him. I wish him well. After my oldest left school pre-maturely I ended up having to assist him in getting an apartment. Just today he called and is considering re-instatement to complete the necessary education piece. We pray for their best, and know they are protected.

I'd say my dad could assist from Goleta, but he's in his mid-80s and doesn't get around as much as he used to.

Sorry to hear of your dog...that is sad. Congrats to your son on his new chapter in life.

Hopefully your wife will adjust okay...but it will take awhile...Skype is your friend there.

From the short time I spend with Tom, I would say the young man is mature beyond his years, you don't have anything to worry about there.

Sorry to hear about Tori, thats going to leave a hole.

Unh, did you see that UCSB made the top ten party school list?

From the short time I spend with Tom, I would say the young man is mature beyond his years, you don't have anything to worry about there.

Sorry to hear about Tori, thats going to leave a hole.
Thanks Karl, he's a good kid. Those dogs sure work their way into our hearts.

He's going to the City College-way safer :unsure:

I'm sure Doug's son has got that covered....just in case Doug didn't.
Perhaps I should go back to school. :lol:

Sign me up Bug. I'm an hour and a half north but SB is just a lunch destination for us so it's a nice and easy drive.
THANKS Doc, I'd like to meet you. I think we would have much in common working with plants (I'm not always about killing them, I do try to save the nice ones) ;)

THANKS Doc, I'd like to meet you. I think we would have much in common working with plants (I'm not always about killing them, I do try to save the nice ones) ;)
Being from Grass Valley, he does try to save all the "grass" that he can...you know, for that "stomach ailment".

Scary feeling when the last one moves out, isn't it?

:blink:
Wish I could experience that "scary feeling". After 34 years, the FIRST one is still here.
My Mom made that mistake with my youngest brother and sister long after I'd gone.

My kids know that after we've paid for college they have a degree, set of wheels and no debt. From there, they are on their own.

My pops changed the locks on all doors when I went off to freshman semester of college. No doubt about where he stood on the matter of coming back to the nest... :huh:

My pops changed the locks on all doors when I went off to freshman semester of college. No doubt about where he stood on the matter of coming back to the nest... :huh:
Sabrina's dad painted the room and converted it into an office! :blink:

She's always welcome here......as a guest.....or roommate. ;)

It can be tough to see them go, but my daughter moving to Eureka gave me a new ride destination. Plus she's.with us now in Scotland so they're always around somewhere. Especially when you cover the expenses. And we've seen lots of Westies around here. Cute dogs. My wife wants one. Sorry to hear about yours, Doug.

It can be tough to see them go, but my daughter moving to Eureka gave me a new ride destination. Plus she's.with us now in Scotland so they're always around somewhere. Especially when you cover the expenses. And we've seen lots of Westies around here. Cute dogs. My wife wants one. Sorry to hear about yours, Doug.
Thanks Mike, Westies don't shed hair- a real plus and she was a good dogie. Ours was not a real lap dog but loved to watch other animals on TV. She was bonded close with my wife so me and the boys were second class family members :)

I'm getting used to no kids, no dog? We're out of here.