My Spencer Seat is Back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikatollah

Reaction score
I sent my OEM seat off to Florida to be "Spencerized". It looks exactly like my old seat because he uses the OEM cover, but it is far more comfortable than the original. I spent three hours on it Saturday with no hot spots or squirming issues. That would not have happened with the original. Before, I was ready for a break after 45 minutes. It's not perfect, but well worth the money. The seat left Texas on a Monday, arrived in Florida on Thursday, and he had it back in the mail to me by Friday. I had it back on my bike the following Wednesday (nine days).

To get the foam replaced in both front and rear seats cost me $100. Postage will run you another $50-$100. He can't make the seat any lower on FJRs, but there is more of a cutout feeling where your butt contacts the bike. He used e-mailed pictures to get an idea of my riding position and then cut the seat accordingly. He told me the break in period was "three tank-fulls", but after 500 miles I'm satisfied with the results. If it gets a lot better I'll report back.

I also bought an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad for the seat. It feels nice but requires some getting used to... feels funny to be sliding around on the seat. I will say that the pad fits the FJR perfectly.

+1 I was generally pleased with the Spencerizied seat...I don't even think about the seat on shorter rides these days. I still swap it out for my Corbin on longer journeys though.

Interesting about the sliding with the Alaskan Butt Pad...whether it's on the stock seat or Corbin, I don't slid much at all, if any.

I've had both my FJR seats Spencerized. If you basically like the shape of the stock seat, IMO it's hard to beat Spencer's work. Just enough added comfort to make you feel good about the money you spent. My ass doesn't get to feel that way very often. :D

Any photos??
No, but the exterior looks of the seat didn't change. You have to sit on it to tell the difference from the OEM seat.

So hows the continued feedback on the seat? I sold the corbin because it was just too low for me and sent my seat off to Spencer. Had it back 7 days after sending it off. Also bought the sheepskin pad. I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound. I am still recovering from a bulged disk and have yet to sit on the redone seat. Actually I have been staring at my bike and feeling very depressed over the past 10 days as walking without pain has to come before riding.

Any photos??
No, but the exterior looks of the seat didn't change. You have to sit on it to tell the difference from the OEM seat.

So hows the continued feedback on the seat? I sold the corbin because it was just too low for me and sent my seat off to Spencer. Had it back 7 days after sending it off. Also bought the sheepskin pad. I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound. I am still recovering from a bulged disk and have yet to sit on the redone seat. Actually I have been staring at my bike and feeling very depressed over the past 10 days as walking without pain has to come before riding.
Man I feel you. Snap out of the depression it is only short term. I waited 7 months looking at my 10 sitting on my lift in my carport waiting on recovery.

The seat and your "first" ride will be worth the wait. Hang in there man and do your exercises that PT taught you. Been there and wore that t-shirt.

I had mine done by Spencer last summer, great guy to deal with and it made a huge difference. I haven't done any serious long haul stuff, most of my rides are from home base and average between 250 and 350 mile loops, no question, one of the best farkles I've done.

It's not the perfect solution I was hoping for. Better than stock, but I've put some long days in the saddle... 300-400 miles and by the end of the day my tail is sore. I may look for some other options.

Spencer did my seat about a year ago. I bought another stock seat-$75 for both front and rear, off a 2008 sent front and rear to spencer. I lined both up side by side when i got them back and as far as I could see, maybe the spencerized front seat was slightly lower in the meat of the seat area and slightly more sculpted where your legs go down when you want to flat foot. So bottom line is maybe a 1/2 inch closer to the ground (every bit helps) and a nicer butt pad makes for a better ride.

by the way, i wear boots that maybe give me another 1/2 inch or so and the standard kouba links and dropped front end by 1/2 inch and I can totally flat foot easily with the wife on the back and when solo with a little effort. and I have a 29" inseam and weigh 185.

You can't go by me as I am 5 weeks into a bulged disk/sciatica injury. The seat feels pretty firm but pliant

+1 on The Spencer seat work. Had both seats done a year ago. With the stock seats, it seemed like I was always sliding towards the tank. With the passenger on board, we were both were slipping forward. After Spencer's work on the seats...No more sliding forward on either seat. Burning buns have been vanquished. :yahoo: Our rides tend to be in the 150-200 mile range. Wife and I couldn't be happier with the seats and the minimum money spent for the upgrade.

John

So I have put a few hundred miles on the Spencer with an Alaskan buttpad. It seems really firm ( to the point where I am thinking 'hey this thing is really firm', and I seem to not be able to find the spot where both my wrists and my uh... boys both stay un-numb. <_< I guess I should try it without the buttpad and see what that's like.

I dunno. Perhaps I am doomed to wander the world in between pain and pleasure forever. That, or fork over the money to Russell.

I did the Spencer seat also, stock seat was only good for about 100mi, the Spencer is good for about 250, still have issues with the boys though. I'm thinking I need to get the Helibars to sit back and more upright to relieve the boys.

You guys with the Russell seats, does it take the forward lean away?

The cheap (free) fix for the forward lean problem ( boys) may be to remove the rubber bumper pads on the bottom rear of the front seat. This reduces the forward lean angle and you sit more upright.

The best part of this mod (besides being free) is it's reversible for when you want to charge some twisties and lean anywhere you want to go. ;) YMMV

The cheap (free) fix for the forward lean problem ( boys) may be to remove the rubber bumper pads on the bottom rear of the front seat. This reduces the forward lean angle and you sit more upright.

The best part of this mod (besides being free) is it's reversible for when you want to charge some twisties and lean anywhere you want to go. ;) YMMV
Thanks, I'll give that a try. There is a nylon "nub" there that will only allow the rear of the seat to drop down about 1/4", but I'll try to do a comparison test this weekend. Cheap and easy, just like me!!!