My Valve Check/CCT replacement Moral Support Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey S/C - I forgot you have a carb-tune tool. Maybe I'll get with you and come by one weekend and we can to a t/b sync. Thanks.

For the more experienced mechanics, please allow a relatively dumb question:

I bought a set of "go no-go" feeler gages. The package says the each gage has the end of it ground 0.002" less then the thickness of the gage.

So for the Exhaust side, the spec is 0.007" - 0.010". I chose the gage that says 0.007" - 0.009", which I'm interpreting as the ground end of the gage is 0.007" (my minimum thickness) and the unground side is 0.009". My McMaster vernier caliper (not micrometer) at least agrees with me. For some of the exhaust valves, the 0.009" part will go (albeit a little tight). For 2 of the exhaust valves (the ones that I suspected needed re-shimming from my data sheet on the last time I did this), the 0.007" ground part goes, but the 0.009" part will not. When I pull the gage out, I have a film of oil on the ground part, which leads me to believe that that particular valve will "go" on 0.007" (with a little film of oil to boot), meaning it's right on the edge, but still good.

All on the intake side will "go" on 0.006" nicely, and will slide on the 0.008" part with a little oil to boot.

So.... I think I am good, yes?

I'll eat a sandwitch before starting to button her back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I adjusted my valve this spring, not a easy job the 1st time. 3 intakes tight 32k.

Lot of dirt in and around coolant tubes. If you have compressed air blow that crap out before pulling it.

Keeps a lot of dirt out engine after valve cover is removed. Avoids leaks from O- rings also.

I confirmed my suspicions by using the next smallest gage and I am indeed good. Got the bike back together and no apparent leaks. Started it up and let her idle until the fan cycled. Looks good. Much quieter with the new cam chain. I will add more to this thread tomorrow. Many lessons learned. Thanks to all for the support

I confirmed my suspicions by using the next smallest gage and I am indeed good. Got the bike back together and no apparent leaks. Started it up and let her idle until the fan cycled. Looks good. Much quieter with the new cam chain tensioner. I will add more to this thread tomorrow. Many lessons learned. Thanks to all for the support

Good news with the valve check 'pants!

Back on the road and good for another 26k...wasn't so bad after all, was it?

--G

I adjusted my valve this spring, not a easy job the 1st time. 3 intakes tight 32k.Lot of dirt in and around coolant tubes. If you have compressed air blow that crap out before pulling it.

Keeps a lot of dirt out engine after valve cover is removed. Avoids leaks from O- rings also.
Very good advice if you intend to get your eyes filled with crap.

I generally wash this area with regular cleaning fluid and a brush and then vacuum it out using a piece of small diameter tube 'packed' into the end of the vac hose. YMMV........

I am sure hppants will post up later but Pop and I had the pleasure of following him around this morning. His bike is running like a... well, it is running like an FJR! He was pleased with his work and pleased with himself. Pop and I were pleased to watch him walk off and leave our slow butts in the curves. We only followed him for about 120 miles but any day with hppants is a good day.

As R/H indicates - she's all good. I'm going to post a couple of observations in the CCT Lessons Learned thread, where perhaps it will help others.

As for the valve check, the "go-nogo" feeler gages are very useful. My set has one for every 0.001" between 0.004" and 0.025". Remember, each one has the end ground down 0.002" less than the gage. So using each gage, I was able to really determine where I was. Things like:

Intake #2-1 is a "tight 7 or very loose 6"

Exhaust #4-2 is a "good 7" (neither tight nor loose)

While I am anal about things, this was re-assuring that I didn't have to adjust any shims.

It would have been nice if Yamaha would have allowed for another 1/16" of an inch of clearence to get the cam cover in and out of the bike frame. I had to re-install it several times and reposition the gasket to ensure that it was on correctly. Just a smidge more room would have made that much easier.

It would have been nice if Yamaha would have allowed for another 1/16" of an inch of clearence to get the cam cover in and out of the bike frame. I had to re-install it several times and reposition the gasket to ensure that it was on correctly. Just a smidge more room would have made that much easier.
Yeah, that's real fun trying to get the cover in without screwing up the seal. twice I've been successful, once not.