My very first farkle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
Ya gotta start somewhere, right?

Not counting putting an '03 motor into an '04 bike, which is, I guess you would call, a "retro-farkle", I've finally broken my own personal "farkle barrier" to keep Frankenbike "bone stock."

bell.jpg

The gift comes to me from fellow "Atomic Engine Club" member, Patriot aka daMike.

In case some of you haven't been riding for long, or have lived in a cave most of your riding lives, here's what a "gremlin bell" is all about:

Have you noticed that some riders have a small bell hanging off their motorcycle frame or handlebars? Have you wondered what the purpose is? Well, you have come to the right place. That little bell is more than decoration, it serves a very important purpose – it wards off gremlins, also known as evil road spirits.

You see, there are motorcycle gremlins that LOVE to ride, but they are also mischievous little devils and they cause all sorts of problems for you while you are riding. Some say they are responsible for that old lady in the minivan not seeing you and cutting you off in traffic. Or, you may be having trouble shifting smoothly, your battery goes dead, your turn signal suddenly refuses to work, an oil spill appears out of nowhere, you hit a patch of black ice, etc – you get the idea. Those little gremlins look for trouble and try to steer your bike towards it.

Now, once you get a bell on your scoot – it wards off these attacks from the little gremlins, not allowing any more to get onto your bike. If you already have some gremlins riding with you, they will get trapped in the hollow of the bell, and the constant ringing will drive them insane – causing them to lose their grip and fall to the roadway.

Do you have the protection of a gremlin bell? If you buy a gremlin bell of your own, the power works. If you receive the gremlin bell as a gift – the powerful magic of the bell is doubled. Do you have a friend who does not have a gremlin bell yet? Why not be the person to give them one, they'll thank you! The bell, and a good preventive maintenance program by the bike's owner, will help eliminate the gremlins.

Sure...it may seem like a silly addition to my bike, but the spirit in which it is given, and from where it came, is very meaningful to me and will ride with me for protection for many, many miles and smiles to come.

Thanks Mike! :thumbsupsmiley: You da best!

After reading that I can honestly say I've now heard everything.
Not "everything".....

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed

A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,

Then one day he was shootin at some food,

And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

Well the first thing you know ol Jed's a millionaire,

Kinfolk said "Jed move away from there"

Said "Californy is the place you ought to be"

So they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly.

Hills, that is. Swimmin pools, movie stars.

Well now its time to say good by to Jed and all his kin.

And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.

You're all invited back a gain to this locality

To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillybilly that is. Set a spell, Take your shoes off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

NOW you've heard everything. :finger:

Brother Howie, You know you're really showing your (our) age with a Spirit Bell, don't you? I was fast friends with "Tiny" Lund, Sergeant of Arms of Long Beach Chapter of the Hell's Angels; we served in The Big Green Machine together overseas!

This has not changed, my Red and White friends only believe you have Good Spirits protecting you if your Spirit Bell was given to you by a fellow biker. You are in good hands with mucho bueno amigo Patriot - Mike giving you your Spirit Bell!!!

what about...

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,

A tale of a fateful trip

That started from this tropic port

Aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailing man,

The skipper brave and sure.

Five passengers set sail that day

For a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough,

The tiny ship was tossed,

If not for the courage of the fearless crew

The minnow would be lost, the minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle

With Gilligan

The Skipper too,

The millionaire and his wife,

The movie star

The professor and Mary Ann,

Here on Gilligans Isle.

So this is the talel of the castways,

They're here for a long, long time,

They'll have to make the best of things,

It's an uphill climb.

Brother Howie, You know you're really showing your (our) age with a Spirit Bell, don't you? I was fast friends with "Tiny" Lund, Sergeant of Arms of Long Beach Chapter of the Hell's Angels; we served in The Big Green Machine together overseas!
This has not changed, my Red and White friends only believe you have Good Spirits protecting you if your Spirit Bell was given to you by a fellow biker. You are in good hands with mucho bueno amigo Patriot - Mike giving you your Spirit Bell!!!
Funny, I figured if anyone would understand, it would be you. Gracias, el jeffe.

I've always had gift bells on all my bikes. Another forum I frequent has a yearly bell exchange, like drawing a name at Christmas. I've gotten them from folks in San Diego, Minnesota and Fernie, BC. In fact, the bells went with the last 3 bikes I sold as good luck for the new owner. Sure, some folks say it's silly, but WTH, I'll take all the help I can get out there. Even if it doesn't help, it can't hurt. Here's mine right now, the one from a guy named Peter in BC.
DSCN0879.jpg

I've heard that if you don't have something good to say, don't say it.

So I'm not saying a thing... :blink:

I lied. I think they are completely ghey. Next thing you'll be dressing up like a pirate. :rolleyes:

to cap off this informative thread:

Green acres is the place for me.

Farm livin' is the life for me.

Land spreadin' out so far and wide

Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.

I get allergic smelling hay.

I just adore a penthouse view.

Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.

...The stores.

...Fresh air.

...Times Square

You are my wife.

Good bye, city life.

Green Acres we are there.

oh, see ya at the junction...

but the spirit in which it is given, and from where it came, is very meaningful to me and will ride with me for protection for many, many miles and smiles to come.
Thanks Mike! :thumbsupsmiley: You da best!
you're very welcome

<but if you kiss me on the lips, I'll retaliate...ah, run screaming like a girl>

I trump your Gilliagan , Acres , and Hillbillies with:

Meet Cathy, who's lived most everywhere,

From Zanzibar to Barclay Square.

But Patty's only seen the sight.

A girl can see from Brooklyn Heights --

What a crazy pair!

But they're cousins,

Identical cousins all the way.

One pair of matching bookends,

Different as night and day.

Where Cathy adores a minuet,

The Ballet Russes, and crepe suzette,

Our Patty loves to rock and roll,

A hot dog makes her lose control --

What a wild duet!

Still, they're cousins,

Identical cousins and you'll find,

They laugh alike, they walk alike,

At times they even talk alike --

You can lose your mind,

When cousins are two of a kind.

KM

and I have a ride bell too..........

Hmmmmm.. This gives me an Idea
:jester:

Oh great! Sheep with bells . . . . . . . . . . . . . Stiletto's weren't enough huh?

I guess it's time to let the neighborhood assn build that 8' fence around us. I'm tired of fightin' the system.

:blushing:

Latest posts