NAFO Day Trips

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can stop in Telluride and have the locals take you part way up in a Jeep to see the falls from above. Great view of Telluride also...
https://www.tellurideoutside.com/4wd-tour

As for the pass...take a gander and decide...

Okay...I'm not signed up for NAFO...and I guess I'll skip this road.
biggrin.png

Depending on the routes you take you may have a chance to take it going north and south...either way is awesome. Going southbound you get to be "drop side" in some of the steepest areas...a slight glance to your right and you get to look straight down several hundred feet. Ouray to Red Mountain is spectacular.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the routes you take you may have a chance to take it going north and south...either way is awesome. Going southbound you get to be "drop side" in some of the steepest areas...a slight glance to your right and you get to look straight down several hundred feet. Ouray to Red Mountain is spectacular.
I want to try that. It is still pretty hairy from the other side of the road! No guard rail adds to the excitement!

I want to try that. It is still pretty hairy from the other side of the road! No guard rail adds to the excitement!
Yeah, I've done it 3 times but always south to north. Gotta go the other way this time.

Going southbound you get to be "drop side" in some of the steepest areas...a slight glance to your right and you get to look straight down several hundred feet.
Hmmmm... I think I'll probably choose northbound then!
weirdsmiley.gif
I've got a "heights thing" and I was apprehensive...but I don't think it's too bad. It's certainly no worse than the Kali Hwy along the ocean. After yer first 40 feet of free fall yer a goner anyways..so what's a few hundred?. :)

Going southbound you get to be "drop side" in some of the steepest areas...a slight glance to your right and you get to look straight down several hundred feet.
Hmmmm... I think I'll probably choose northbound then!
weirdsmiley.gif
I've got a "heights thing" and I was apprehensive...but I don't think it's too bad. It's certainly no worse than the Kali Hwy along the ocean. After yer first 40 feet of free fall yer a goner anyways..so what's a few hundred?.
smile.png
Hey, falling never hurt anyone. It's the sudden stop that is a mutha!
mda.gif

I'm thinking Montrose to Ouray, jump on Black Bear Pass to Teluride.. Back over Imogene or Ophir to 550 north to Montroe.
Smitty
Would that be an "adventure" on an FJR? Would it be bad to be scared of heights on that trail?
smile.png

Sounds like a fun day Smitty...
I will lead to Telluride..
bike.gif

Smitty

IMG_0625_zpse4mivgme.jpg

Is 550 aka the Million Dollar Hwy?
That would be an affirmative, Miss Tyler.

I would definitely endorse all the routes above, especially "Route 1". 149 is a favorite of mine, with a stop for lunch in Creede.

EDIT: Guess I should read all the pages of a thread before opening my trap!!

I have sent Extrememarine all 4 routes in GPX format. I have a few other routes in mind I may see if he wants to put up for people either coming to or leaving from NAFO. I'll post them up with my original post...just ideas...feel free to submit your own!!!

The Million Dollar Highway is listed on dangerousroads.org, although I've driven it both directions (one at night) and cannot agree that it's dangerous. It's also listed as #4 on the AMA's list of 15 best motorcycle roads in the US, which supports my opinion.

There are other Colorado roads listed on dangerousroads.org, and I'll do a little research to see if a few can be stitched together into a day trip.

REST ASSURED, I am doing nothing like smitty141 has in mind. That category is a few levels above "dangerous".

Dangerous is a relative thing.... I won't mention California, since I've only driven in San Francisco... in the fog... at night trying to keep up with my kid in this Golf.

If you can make it through St. Louis/Atlanta/Nashville/ Chicago/Denver/Kansas City and don't forget, America's Hometown-- Hannibal, MO.--traffic at rush hour, you can do this with less risk.
sleep.png

Even Smitty won't try Hannibal at certain hours of the day. Me, I have a death wish.
fool.gif

Not dangerous, just living... If there are any expert or very skilled off road riders would like to join me send me a pm. I will leave Montrose VERY early Wed morning. Over Black Bear, in to Teluride. Catch part of the COBDR, and work my way into Utah.

From the small town of Slick Rock I will ride into the back side of The 3 Step Hideaway on the south side of the LaSal mountain range.

I will stay there Wed night, after breakfast will head north into the LaSal range and go north.

I will end up just south of I 70, will find a place to stay, of work my way back to Montrose.

I will be riding my KTM 690 or my new 350 xcf-w. Will only have a tool belt and a back pack riding at a brisk pace to cover the miles needed.

Don't be wearing your wife's panty's on this one.. It could get ruff and technical in places. Also carry tire repair equipment, (tube, air), and be able to go 150 on a tank of fuel..

Who is in??

Smitty