Napa Spring run 17th Feb.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has yet to get on my FJR. The last time she rode with me was on my ZX100 in 1994.

I'm thinking if I have any chance of getting her to ride again, maybe a weekend in Napa will do it....hmmmm. Maybe fly her up for a "surprise" and I get to ride the coast up.

btw.... that last day that she rode 13 years ago something pretty funny happened.

She starts tapping me wildly, which was usually, the slow down tap. As I wasn't going fast, I ignored it. More tapping, and then some even more rapid tapping. When I finally turned around, I almost crashed from laughter as her entire (I mean entire) face shield was covered in bird crap! I could barely get her cleaned up I was laughing so hard.

might want to put these links in the original post:
Group Ride Safety Thread

Hand Signals Thread
Yes, Dave....please. The first link contains a link to "Hand Signals" that most of us should, but don't, use. Or at least include the Group Safety Thread link in the opening of the route posting when you get to that.

THE PACE (In my not so humble and very strong opinion) would be the most important topic....and 3 seconds spacing worked pretty good on New Years Day. At least nobody spoke of any "close incidents".

Just to be absolutely clear, so there is no misunderstanding: Everyone should read and understand the "Group Safety Thread". This is the first major NorCal group ride of the New Year. Lets be as mentally prepared, as we are eager, to ride.

P.S. Thanks Andrew!

I will probably have to trailer past the ice but as soon as the plan finalizes I will make arangements to attend. There is way to much good riding around there to miss. :clapping:

Somehow my 'puter missed this thread? :glare:

Anyway, I was just in Napa and ate lunch at a great restaurant called the Napa Valley Grille. Not sure it can handle 30 rough azz looking bikers though, you know, like the kind that hang out on this forum. :p :D

If I can make it, I'll be there!!

Somehow my 'puter missed this thread? :glare:
More likely "ignored" the thread. Just too busy making FJR farkles, hmmm?
If you must know the truth, I was very busy digging holes underneath my back deck. The kind that require a great big shovel. :lol:
You are supposed to go down to the Home Depot and get someone to do it for you. Way cheaper when you figure you could spend the time making farkles.

:clapping: I'm in too, that is if my wife will let me come out and play. :yahoo:

Funny my wife taps me on the helmet too. The last time, I pulled over at an AM/PM, because I thought she need to stop. She walked home. :unsure: :blink: :wub: She has very "subtle" ways of letting me know when I've exceeded her "limits'. Wouldn't even consider letting her (or trying to get her) on my FJR.

LC

Doesn't look like I'll make this one. Mr. Zach at Roseville is taking my bike next Monday for tick repair. I figure this is the best time of year to be without for about a month. <_<

Doesn't look like I'll make this one. Mr. Zach at Roseville is taking my bike next Monday for tick repair. I figure this is the best time of year to be without for about a month. <_<
Be sure and ask Zac when he'll be on a purdy new red '07. :yahoo: We're going to miss you guys, but you're right, now is the best time to have it done.

I'm in for this one. Morgan Valley road turns into Knoxville road where all the water crossing are. If it rains hard at all previously to the ride date they will close it. a real goat trail with lots of holes and ruts and water. Fun for me, but not for everyone.....

Last edited by a moderator:
If I took the group on Morgan Valley I'd hear about it for the next two or more years !!! No Thanks !!

Y'all are on your own on that choice ! ( But it's as remote as you can get in Napa, personally I love it, but a fast ride it's not!! )

Funny my wife taps me on the helmet too. The last time, I pulled over at an AM/PM, because I thought she need to stop. She walked home. :unsure: :blink: :wub: She has very "subtle" ways of letting me know when I've exceeded her "limits'. Wouldn't even consider letting her (or trying to get her) on my FJR.
So a few weeks ago I had my wife on the back coming home from visiting our son in Berkeley. We're going through the Caldecott Tunnel, two narrow lanes in one direction, no opposing traffic, no shoulders. I see an SUV coming up fast behind me; I'm about 3/4ths of the way out of the tunnel; daylight just ahead. Hell, I think to myself, I don't want that sonufabitch passing me at twice my speed in this narrow tunnel and just hope he doesn't hit me...." So I open it up to get out of the tunnel ahead of him where I have some [smith Driving Rule--Leave Yourself an Out] room to maneuver.

'Course whenever you, uh, "open up" an FJR, well, she moves pretty good. Next thing I know I'm getting clobbered by Tiny Fists of Fury accompanied by shouted albeit muted yelling, something about slowing down.... :threaten:

Well, after quoting the above Last Chance comment to my Honey Bunch last night, she gave me the skinny: she's not sure she's EVER getting back on Mr. Zero to Sixty in Three Seconds. I don't think it's about crashing per se. She feels like she's going to fall off. Anyway, I'll give her this: I would be the WORST passenger on a motorcycle: "Slow down! Slow down! Aaaaiiiiiieeeeeeeeee!" :uhoh:

Jb

So a few weeks ago I had my wife on the back coming home from visiting our son in Berkeley. We're going through the Caldecott Tunnel, two narrow lanes in one direction, no opposing traffic, no shoulders. I see an SUV coming up fast behind me; I'm about 3/4ths of the way out of the tunnel; daylight just ahead. Hell, I think to myself, I don't want that sonufabitch passing me at twice my speed in this narrow tunnel and just hope he doesn't hit me...." So I open it up to get out of the tunnel ahead of him where I have some [smith Driving Rule--Leave Yourself an Out] room to maneuver.

'Course whenever you, uh, "open up" an FJR, well, she moves pretty good. Next thing I know I'm getting clobbered by Tiny Fists of Fury accompanied by shouted albeit muted yelling, something about slowing down.... :threaten:

Well, after quoting the above Last Chance comment to my Honey Bunch last night, she gave me the skinny: she's not sure she's EVER getting back on Mr. Zero to Sixty in Three Seconds. I don't think it's about crashing per se. She feels like she's going to fall off. Anyway, I'll give her this: I would be the WORST passenger on a motorcycle: "Slow down! Slow down! Aaaaiiiiiieeeeeeeeee!" :uhoh:

Jb
You might want to get a top case or a back rest for your SO. It will make them a little more secure and not so much like flying off the back. This has worked well for us and my ribs don't get jabbed nearly as much as they used to. :D

Jb
You might want to get a top case or a back rest for your SO. It will make them a little more secure and not so much like flying off the back. This has worked well for us and my ribs don't get jabbed nearly as much as they used to. :D

I already have the top case w/backrest.....The problem with the FJR is it's too tall...or I'm too short. I'm afraid we would spend way too much time on our side at starts/stops. Until this problem is solved it's a "solo" ride for sure.

JB, your wife must NEVER meet my wife. :dribble: :dribble: :blink: :dwarf: :bike: :axesmiley: They would exchange methods and tactics! :download: :feminist_en: :headbonk:

LC

So I open it up to get out of the tunnel ahead of him where I have some [smith Driving Rule--Leave Yourself an Out] room to maneuver.
Didn't you notice that everyone carying a pillion had a backrest of some sort? Doh! :wacko:

They would exchange methods and tactics! :feminist_en: :headbonk:
Hey, I could introduce them to the lovely and beautiful ex-Mrs. Madmike2....she'd fit right in and have a lot of suggestions. Just tryin' ta hep! :crazy: :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator: