Natchez Trace Ride 4/11-4/14

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry 07 FJR1300AE

Reaction score
Three of us, my FJR and two ST1300's plan to ride the trace out then along the gulf coast and back home. First off your welcome to attend. Second is advice. We plan to get to the trace by 9-10 am. We want to make it to Jackson MS for the night. That's 350 ish miles on the trace (500 miles for the day). Yes we wanna see a few things but we are gonna leave the dragassin' with you grandpaws! I know it's a 50mph speed limit. We wanna be able to ride at LEAST 60mph to make better time. On a Monday, how much do u think park rangers will be a problem. I'm not saying we wanna run 80 and act stupid. Just looking for some insight. Thanks

PS No it's not Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would really like to make that trip again, I rode it in 2005 with a good friend, he was on his old BMW R80ST and I rode a BMW R1150 GSA. We stayed near Franklin, TN and made it to Natchez, MS. We started early and made it to Natchez before night fall. We rode during the week and tried to stay in the 60's. Again tried!! You do not want a ticket from the rangers. We didn't see a lot of deer but turkeys are everywhere. Shortly after that trip my friend had a stroke and he is still in a wheelchair. Ride safe and enjoy!! it is a great ride. RBW

Would really like to make that trip again, I rode it in 2005 with a good friend, he was on his old BMW R80ST and I rode a BMW R1150 GSA. We stayed near Franklin, TN and made it to Natchez, MS. We started early and made it to Natchez before night fall. We rode during the week and tried to stay in the 60's. Again tried!! You do not want a ticket from the rangers. We didn't see a lot of deer but turkeys are everywhere. Shortly after that trip my friend had a stroke and he is still in a wheelchair. Ride safe and enjoy!! it is a great ride. RBW
Thanks for the info RBW. Sorry to hear about your friend. Not sure where u are from but when ever u wanna do it again give me a holler, or get you stuff together and meet us at the North end 4/11 @ 9am

I'd like to get involved...would be come from Nawlins'

I do know LA and MS roads...GPS rocks

if it's OK for me to invite myself, please let me know your route and planned itinerary

my email is mholiver at cox dot net

11th thru 14th is open on my calendar

would like to at least ride a whole day with ya'll or one night in a shared motel room

is desirable and workable for me at this time

sounds like it's a circular route from KY, so going wouth the 2nd day from Jackson. Jackson is only 3 interstate hrs from me.

I could ride up and meet ya'll for breakfast at the time of your choosing.

I definitely would love to "lead" a ride from Natchez on backroads going south depending where you want to start the coast roads.

From here in Nawlins'...it's a great ride east along the Gulf of Mexico with fast/ cool sweepers

from Nawlins' to Waveland/Bay St Louis through the Ricolets which is a wildlife refuge area.

I've ridden the coast (no interstates) all the way to FL...

the Mobile Bay ferry is awesome...L

amberts in Foley, AL just off the route on the east side of Mobile Bay is not to be missed https://www.throwedrolls.com/

is a great eatery and they throw you rolls from across the dining room.

Paging mvette...paging mvette to the white courtesy phone

I can certainly recommend or give reports on places to stop like eaterys

let's ride safe and be careful out there

rgds

Mike

We wanna be able to ride at LEAST 60mph to make better time. On a Monday, how much do u think park rangers will be a problem. I'm not saying we wanna run 80 and act stupid. Just looking for some insight. Thanks
Been up and down sections of the Trace with some regularity. First, the top end near Nashville is 10 MPH speed limit lower than the rest of it, because its got both elevation and curves. Second, I have never seen the NPS police pull anyone one over, but I wouldn't recommend pushing it past about 10 over the posted speed. NPS speeding tickets are really high (I've been told). Also, you'll be passing a lot of cars and RVs just by going the posted speed, so the faster you go, the more you have to pass. Also, there are a number of nice short hikes to waterfalls and the like on the TN part of the Trace. South of Tupelo, it gets pretty flat and dull, though.

Remember, no services on the Trace, and often, not much by way of gas/food/lodging very close to it it. Gas up when you can.

Have a great trip and take time so stop and smell the roses. Even with a few quick stops, the Trace can be done in two days. Make sure to check out the Windsor Ruins in MS!

We wanna be able to ride at LEAST 60mph to make better time. On a Monday, how much do u think park rangers will be a problem. I'm not saying we wanna run 80 and act stupid. Just looking for some insight. Thanks
Been up and down sections of the Trace with some regularity. First, the top end near Nashville is 10 MPH speed limit lower than the rest of it, because its got both elevation and curves. Second, I have never seen the NPS police pull anyone one over, but I wouldn't recommend pushing it past about 10 over the posted speed. NPS speeding tickets are really high (I've been told). Also, you'll be passing a lot of cars and RVs just by going the posted speed, so the faster you go, the more you have to pass. Also, there are a number of nice short hikes to waterfalls and the like on the TN part of the Trace. South of Tupelo, it gets pretty flat and dull, though.

Remember, no services on the Trace, and often, not much by way of gas/food/lodging very close to it it. Gas up when you can.

Have a great trip and take time so stop and smell the roses. Even with a few quick stops, the Trace can be done in two days. Make sure to check out the Windsor Ruins in MS!
Thanks for the heads up. Now we just need April 11 to get here!

I've never been pulled over on the trace, but I've heard the park rangers around Jackson are more uptight and will pull you over and give a ticket for even mild speeding. Could just be rumors though...

If you guys are going to see the Windsor Ruins be sure and hit the Old Country Store in Lorman, MS for lunch. They have some of the better southern food I've had. Also, if you want the curvy route, take Rodney Rd (MS 552) from Port Gibson to the ruins.

If my schedule is free I'll try to join y'all for a bit.

I've never been pulled over on the trace, but I've heard the park rangers around Jackson are more uptight and will pull you over and give a ticket for even mild speeding. Could just be rumors though...

If you guys are going to see the Windsor Ruins be sure and hit the Old Country Store in Lorman, MS for lunch. They have some of the better southern food I've had. Also, if you want the curvy route, take Rodney Rd (MS 552) from Port Gibson to the ruins.

If my schedule is free I'll try to join y'all for a bit.
That's sounds great. I will be using instamapper.com on my iPhone for GPS tracking. I'll post the link a little later so anyone interested can see where we are if they wanna meet up. Thanks for the info.

Three of us, my FJR and two ST1300's plan to ride the trace ......Second is advice.

That's 350 ish miles on the trace (500 miles for the day).

On a Monday, how much do u think park rangers will be a problem. I'm not saying we wanna run 80 and act stupid. Just looking for some insight.

Thanks
Congratulations on choosing to ride The Trace -- I think it's a beautiful ride and a slice of Americana. Altho..., it's not conducive, really, to rapid transit -- kinda, laid-back...

Having said that, I've never seen much in the way of speed patrolling/enforcement the times I've ridden it (one must always pay-attention, tho...).

I'd recco: French Camp and Natchez Under-the-Hill.

You're welcome :)

Hi Patriot,

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am planning a trip in June down to New Orleans. I'll be in Opelika, AL on a Monday night, then heading down thru pensacola and over to New Orleans area for Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I plan on heading out to run the Natchez Trace. Any suggestions on routes/roads? How about a place hotel or campground near NO? I assume in NO will be very expensive.

-Steve

I can't wait to see you guys in Jackson and ride along

Let the festivities begin !!! :yahoo:
We are excited too. Right now looks like we will be leaving Sunday afternoon and gonna try to make Tupelo. As we get our plans set in stone I'll be in touch thru email or txt. Later

Hi Patriot,

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I am planning a trip in June down to New Orleans. I'll be in Opelika, AL on a Monday night, then heading down thru pensacola and over to New Orleans area for Tuesday night. Wednesday morning I plan on heading out to run the Natchez Trace. Any suggestions on routes/roads? How about a place hotel or campground near NO? I assume in NO will be very expensive.

-Steve
send me an email, Steve, and we'll exchange detailed contact info

mholiver at cox dot net

the scenic way from P'cola along the gulf across the Mobile ferry and as far as you want hopping on the interstate at any point is a great ride to Nawlins'

lunch at Lambert's https://www.throwedrolls.com/ in Foley, AL just before the ferry is a great time...they throw rolls to you from across the room !!!

I've ridden to Natchez back roads a number of times and then the trace to Jackson, MS, then home in a day, so would hope to join you.

There are reasonable motels in my area...the suburb of Metairie (and Kenner)...google motels in Metairie, LA and look on Veterans Blvd...the Comfort Inn and Travelodge on Vets in Metairie (or Kenner) are decent and well under $100. When you contact me, I'll see what's up on the homefront. For example, Tyler, long time forum member from Kali is scheduled to come here June 12-15. We offer free room and board to folks as often as we can. Now that's with 3 friendly hound dawgs who sleep behind closed doors and a comfortable sofa sleeper in the living room, so it's more a zoo than a palace.

Let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins

mholiver at cox dot net

I very very very very very very very much want to ride with you guys those two days...however...

as New Orleans Ride Captain for the Patriot Guard Riders, my heart's broken to learn of the loss of one of my own soldiers in Iraq.

this was April 2nd in a rocket attack and SSgt Quadi S. Hudgins's funeral may be next week...I'm sorta guessing Wed or Thur, but who knows?

bottom line is I will have to serve on both the Airport Welcome Home portion and the funeral itself whenever that happens.

but otherwise, I am at you guys disposal to take you riding on "my" roads

here is the local newspaper articles and the PGR Pending Mission Notice

https://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2011/04/new_orleans_soldier_killed_in.html

https://www.nola.com/military/index.ssf/2011/04/army_sergeant_an_alumnus_of_sa.html

https://www.patriotguard.org/Forums/tabid/61/postid/1543794/view/topic/Default.aspx

DOD Identifies Army Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two soldiers who were supporting Operation New Dawn.

They died April 2 of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their position with indirect fire in Babil, Iraq.

Killed were:

SSgt Quadi S. Hudgins, 26, of New Orleans, La.

Sgt. Christian A. S. Garcia, 30, of Goodyear, Ariz.

They were assigned to the Maintenance Troop, Regimental Support Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Hood, Texas.

I very very very very very very very much want to ride with you guys those two days...however...

as New Orleans Ride Captain for the Patriot Guard Riders, my heart's broken to learn of the loss of one of my own soldiers in Iraq.

DOD Identifies Army Casualties

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two soldiers who were supporting Operation New Dawn.

They died April 2 of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their position with indirect fire in Babil, Iraq.

Killed were:

SSgt Quadi S. Hudgins, 26, of New Orleans, La.
the family of SSgt Hudgins has decided to bury him in Arlington National Cemetery which does not involve me

Barry, I'd ride with you guys if I wasn't working. I live about 10 miles from the start of the trace. I have only seen the fuzz on there once, but I know a guy who got a ticket, though he was doing at least 20 over. That's going to be a fun ride. You guys have fun and be sure to share some pics when you get back.

Barry, I'd ride with you guys if I wasn't working. I live about 10 miles from the start of the trace. I have only seen the fuzz on there once, but I know a guy who got a ticket, though he was doing at least 20 over. That's going to be a fun ride. You guys have fun and be sure to share some pics when you get back.
I wish u could go with us. I didn't know you lived so close. Holler at me sometime. I ride down in that area alot.