Need front tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psd2001

Reaction score
My 06 AE has 5k miles and my front stock are needing replacement. Rear has plenty of life left. Looking at the PR3 from michelin. Question is should i go ahead and replace both? Will i notice a difference in perfomance?

New tires always perform better than old tires.

Old rubber is hard, slippery, unforgiving rubber.

I would replace both, since your old tires are really old.

New tires always perform better than old tires.

Old rubber is hard, slippery, unforgiving rubber.

I would replace both, since your old tires are really old.
+1. I've heard manufacturers say that tires should be replaced after six years, no matter the amount of tread left.

I had the same situation. At 7000 miles on the OEM's, my front tire was toast...almost down to the threads. My back tire, except for a small band of flat in the middle, looked almost brand new. I decided to just replace the front tire (Continental ContiMotion) because, with the cost of tires, I couldn't see getting rid of a perfectly good tire. It feels like a new bike now with the new front tire and nothing feels out of sorts. My riding is mostly highway and your back tire is quite a bit older so YMMV.

My 06 AE has 5k miles and my front stock are needing replacement. Rear has plenty of life left. Looking at the PR3 from michelin. Question is should i go ahead and replace both? Will i notice a difference in perfomance?
Yes and hell yes!

I switched out the OEM tires at 9230 even tho the rear had some life left. I went with Bridgestone's Battlax BT23 GTs because I liked the mileage I had gotten and the GTs are touted to increase mileage by 20%. We'll see about that. That being said it's like I now have a brand new bike. The bike handles like a dream. All I have to do is think about turning and off I go. OH, and the buzz in the handlebars? Gone. I expect that may return as the tires wear but it's a nice respite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is odd I have always had the front tire wear 2-3K longer than the rear. I don't exactly ride with an eye on economy all the time though. :D

Personally, I wouldn't replace a tire that is not worn out unless it were obviously dangerous (rubber hard, cracks, etc), but then again my tires last less than a year (6 months this time). The safe route is to replace both.

Wow this is odd I have always had the front tire wear 2-3K longer than the rear. I don't exactly ride with an eye on economy all the time though. :D

Personally, I wouldn't replace a tire that is not worn out unless it were obviously dangerous (rubber hard, cracks, etc), but then again my tires last less than a year (6 months this time). The safe route is to replace both.

Road Runner,

I can't speak to it being odd. I ride light and easy on the throttle but like to carve the turns (what little turns we have in SC :biggrinsmiley: ).

I replaced both for several reasons that I didn't mention. I am disabled and had the cash at the time to change the tires out and there was no guarantee I'd have the cash to do it at a later date besides, the tires were 3 years old. The biggest reason for the swap is that the previous owner pretty much screwed up every farkle he/she installed and there were no service records available. Given that, I've replaced or repaired almost everything he/she did on the bike as the opportunity arose. It may sound weird but I want to start fresh so it's truly my bike and if it screws up it's my screw up. Make sense?

It's a Harvey thing :eek:

Road Runner,

I can't speak to it being odd. I ride light and easy on the throttle but like to carve the turns (what little turns we have in SC :biggrinsmiley: ).

I replaced both for several reasons that I didn't mention. I am disabled and had the cash at the time to change the tires out and there was no guarantee I'd have the cash to do it at a later date besides, the tires were 3 years old. The biggest reason for the swap is that the previous owner pretty much screwed up every farkle he/she installed and there were no service records available. Given that, I've replaced or repaired almost everything he/she did on the bike as the opportunity arose. It may sound weird but I want to start fresh so it's truly my bike and if it screws up it's my screw up. Make sense?

It's a Harvey thing :eek:
Light and easy on the throttle would save the rear tire some, but just isn't the way for me. if it makes sense to you, that is what works. For me it might make sense to me change both tires if the rear is less than 1/3 and have a long trip looming or it is really convienent to do it at that time.

Latest posts