Need them Breaks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratman

Reaction score
Looking for some sound reasoning about breaks and the noise you might hear from them. When the brakes on the cage go bad there’s no question about it.

What am looking for is a measurement of good, bad and change pad now. Is the sound of your brake’s a tell tail sound?

There appears to be two types of pads, hard race pads or pads for lighter bikes? Do you turn the rotor or replace the rotor. Do you run two sets of pads before replacing pads?

What would you expect to get out of a set of pads under normal ware (I know what’s normal).

I have around 36K on the original set, just changed tires and was looking at them with wonder.

Looking for some sound reasoning about breaks and the noise you might hear from them. When the brakes on the cage go bad there’s no question about it. What am looking for is a measurement of good, bad and change pad now. Is the sound of your brake’s a tell tail sound?
You're way late if you're hearing sounds of, say, brake pad backing plates digging into your rotors.... :blink:

You know your brake pads have a wear indicator on them, don't you? Just inspect those, and it the appearance warrantes it, replace them.

There is no "turning" (re-surfacing) of the FJR rotors like we commonly do on cage rotors.

At 36K on the OEM pads, I would have to imagine you're getting pretty close to the end of their useful service life (if they aren't there now). OTOH, I've seen OEM pads go up to 50K for riders that do a lot of engine braking and/or are otherwise very smooth in their riding....

Last edited by a moderator:
I replaced the fronts on my 05 at the 28000 mile service. The inside pad was worn much more than the outside pad on both wheels so off they went. Cleaned and rebuilt the calipers and front master cylinder and I'm good to go. WC is right, the fronts have nice little cutouts in them so you can see when they are worn. It is a little tough to see the inside pad cutout, but it is easy to remove the calipers to check. Rears are still good on my bike at 32000 miles now, and you should be able to visually see if you have enough pad left. There are photos of what to look for in your owners manual.

John