Needing some helpful points

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

live to ride

Reaction score
Good Day all!

Been reading on the forun for a while now trying to decide what I was going to buy. Was it the FJR or ST? Well I went with what I wanted in the first place, which was the FJR. I just purchased a used 04 ABS model in mint shape! I currently ride an RC51, CBR954, and Aprilia Tuono. So being that they are all sport bikes, the girl friend wanted to do some good road trips, and what better to get then an FJR thanks to reading all your guys info on this forum.

So I have two questions--

1- I notice a few of you guys have changed suspension? what exactly did you do and I'm not in the US, so does that company provide world wide, and any extra tips on riding two up. I'm 6'2 and she is 5'8?

2- I'm looking for the top box back rest combo. Is the Yamaha one good and are they crazy priced? seen couple on ebay and with shipping $1000?? is that fair? How about that other brand Givi (sorry I know thats wrong, cant remember exact name)? what are there top box like and how was price on those?

Well thanks for the help in advance and will post pics soon!!

Cheers!!

This thread has a lot of good tips on riding two-up: CLICKY

The Yamaha trunk and mounting plate are very expensive for what you get. The only thing that I can see that makes it better than some of the other aftermarket trunks is that the color is matched right out of the box. I dunno if that is worth an extra $600 US dollars :glare: Givi and Shad are to popular alternatives. I have the Yamaha trunk on my '04 only because the dealer threw it in as part of the deal I made when I purchased my FJR in '03. I'm sure the riders with the other trunk brands will be along with the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all those other sport bikes in the garage I imagine that you probably won't be hooning around on the FJR all that much, eh? So maybe on the suspension, you should give the stock suspenders a chance before you trash 'em. Unless they are really in bad shape, they may be fine for the 2-up kind of tourist duty you're likely to do

I bought the GIVI SR-346 rack and V46 trunk with the color matching ('05 Bass Bote Blue) cover from Glen at Sporttour.com.

They have the best prices on GIVI and free shipping (in the USA). I'd drop him a line and see what he can do for shipping to you up 'dere in Canuckistan.

For your '04, if you wanted color matching you'd want the V46G753. That model is $316. If you wanted to go with a plain flat black one they are only $245. Plus the SR-346 rack for first gens is another $146. They also carry a bunch of other GIVI models if you prefer a different style / shape. You'll want to stick with the monokey cases as they are the sturdier mounts. Monolocks are more like scooter cases.

When I first saw the price of the OEM trunk ($699) I thought Yamaha was FOS.... and I would never pay that much..

BUT, I did get one for about half the price with some shopping around....

And it was a tough color to find also.. 09 AE

The bride likes a backrest so I made her happy and saved money too....

I like the Givi, mainly because the rack is steel and mounts to 5 points, four of them under the seat to the sub frame. One other thing I would suggest for your girl friend is rear peg extenders. They lower the pegs about 3 inches, allowing her to strech her legs a bit more. I think they are still available from wild hair accessories, www.whaccessories.com

I had my suspension redone last year at GP Suspensions in Portland, Oregon and it sure helped the undersprung rear shock. Went with a Penske and they are available from other suppliers, if the two of you are less than the 415 lbs max reccomended by Yamaha, then the stock should be good.

Good luck

Suggestion for two-up touring? Lay out this ground rule: "This here is MY bag, that'n there is YOURS. Put what you want in yours, and leave out what you want. Never shall your stuff encroach on the space in MY bag." She will very carefully consider her personal packing requirements, while you have ample room for your stuff (I like to pack a jug of fine spirits, while she packs a hairdryer). More seriously, with the trunk, side packs and a tank bag, as a couple you should be able to easily tour 8-10 days without a laundry stop. We routinely do 7-8 without a trunk. You made a wise choice and you will enjoy this machine's touring capabilities while you pump adrenaline and drag pegs in the corners. Oh, and it's a looker, too.

The Givi box holds more because the Yammy box is oddly shaped and has very thick walls. The Givi rack the replaces the stock rack is MUCH stronger. And the Givi is lots cheaper!!!

My brother has a VTR-1000, basically the RC51. Cool bike! But not a travelling bike, with that tiny little gas tank!

You won't need the back rest on a top box. The back pad in her riding jacket will be enough padding to lean back on, and if you add the pad on the top box, you may actually end up crowded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Yammy top box but don't do much two up. I would say get a Givi and a mounting plate that will give you the ability to move it back some should you find you're crowded. With the OEM rear seat might not be a problem, but with a Russell, I think you'll want to move it back. You can't move the OEM.

I have a Givi E35 on my bike but that model has been discontinued. I believe that it sold for about $200. Givi makes top notch products and I highly recommend their top cases. You can get them in matte black and worry about the color.

Congrats on the new bike!

With regard to the FJR's suspension:

1. Read this and proceed accordingly clicky

2. The folks at GPSuspension (Portland, Oregon) are experienced and very good to forum members with fork rebuilds and rear shocks clicky

These changes make a good handling bike great. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Here are a couple of pics of my 04 with the Givi color matched top case

104_1578.jpg

104_1577.jpg

104_1579.jpg

IMG-20101205-00009.jpg

I have the GIVI and love it, and it's color matched. As for the suspension, I have stock setup with these settings CLICKY and I love it.

Thanks for the pics! Those look Great on the bike. Gives me an Idea on what to expect for look wise. Its just the FJR is a good looking ride so have to keep the style up even when adding on a top box.!!!