Nelson Rigg Tankbag Installation: Photo Link

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirby

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my new Nelson Rigg tankbag installation. It just arrived today. I have not ridden with it yet, but it seems to be quite secure with my attachment modification.

Nelson Rigg Tank Bag installation

I replaced the single strap at the rear with a single long piece of webbing looped under the tank swivel bolt and joined together at the snap-lock buckle, both ends passing through the buckle for a more secure almost four-point attachment. I borrowed a rubber strap from an older Eclipse tank-tote, to join the two forward attachment buckles loosely to each other so one end or the other doesnt get lost in the hole below the steering head.

This is a very well made and appointed bag. A great bargain for only 80-90 bucks delivered. The rain cover is pretty trick too. It has an expansion zipper around the bottom just like the bag. When you expand the bag, you can also expand the rain cover for a tight fit. Very well thought out. Even my Touratech bag doesn't have that feature, as the rain cover flops about when the bag is in the short position.

I am really considering a Nelson bag but was leaning towards the magnetic option. We have the same buke with many of the same options. You have good taste.

You gotta wonder about the folks who click a topic titled: "...pictures of...strap-on"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice installation, you might want to add some rubber mesh shelf liner underneath.

Nelson Rigg puts a nice thick foam pad under the bag. It sticks real well. I went to the fabric store and bought some clear vinyl sheet a couple years ago for cheap. It squeegees onto the paint just like the tank protector sheet I once bought from Aerostich. YOu can just cut out a hunk to fit your tank surface and float it on with soapy water then use a credit card to squeege it smooth. That is under the bag. You can see a wrinkle of it in one picture in the thigh rub area. ( cool it Butthead). That stuff works good on the windshield too.

-Sirby B)

You gotta wonder about the folks who click a topic titled: "...pictures of...strap-on"
Agreed (notice no +1). (oops). Went magnetic myself, ain't goin' back.
I've used both over the years. I had credit cards play dead after getting close to the magnets on my old Eclipse bag. Now with all the magnetic media in my bag for the cameras and other electronic media types, I am going back . I thought the nylon fabric belting with fastex buckles(heh heh, I didnt say it Butthead) would appear more secure to potential thieves too.

-Sirby

Edmonds, WA

does that have a specific model name? me likes the look!
and what windshield is that?

Model CL-450 the magnetic mount is CL-350 I think.

Thats a Cal-Sci tall. Adds 4".