NERDS Brunch - Sun 12/4

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok YES it was FRICKIN cold when we left the house at 28 degrees 7:30am but when we rolled into the start point in Londonderry it was a balmy 29deg. poured a dunkin coffee over my paws and we were good to go! A hearty crew of NERDS rolled in, Bluejags,the Beams the bbdiggs FredW&TMJ(aka Joann)and suprise,suprise Mr Tony the Tiger himself, Cold but not dismayed at why the heck we were braving this tempeture trek. last but certainlty not least the Junkies(aka Paul& Gina)joined in for the polar express. We waited for some time for Don Carver as he posted his imminent arrival but alas it was not to be (the Harley got wind of the temps on this ride and proceded to puke oil in the garage) OFF Dancer and Prancer and all that shit we headed for hot chocolate in Walpole you twit. After much fun on backroads with cold&ice, we showed up at Burdicks it looked quite nice, to our dismay we were told "GO AWAY" and with all of our cold cash and big appetites,we were told "YOUR JUST NOT OUR TYPE" With our spirts way down we head out of town looking for some food and fun Fred said in a pun, "To Fiddleheads we'll run"back to our old friends we return and they

treat us well, and with warm hearts an belly's this story end's swell Thank's to ALL for making the NERDS POLAR EXPRESS RUN so much fun Fred and Alan great conductor's on the EXPRESS! When you can git your ass out of bed that early in the frikkin cold to ride with such a great group of friend's THIS my friend's is an awesome bunch of people

Photo's to follow as the finger's warm up, Hot Toddy's for all and to all a good night JAG's

To pile on what bluejag had to say, it was 26° when we set out for the day. It's amazing how motivational high quality chocolate is in getting people out. After a cruddy spring that held off riding, we are getting pay-back this early winter day. We seem to be developing a core group that enjoys taking in the beauty that New England has to offer during all seasons. And, the total pandemonium we create when we stop for -- well, any time we stop, it's pretty amazing. We really have fun with this riding group. One of the newbies we met on a hot spring day was Tony who has made many of our rides, and even though he doesn't like to get up early he made today's Polar Bear Ride. It would be interesting to read how this year has played out for he and his wife with all the rides they have made with us. We dun corrupted those young'ins.

I have a few other pictures that I would like to add later when time finds itself.

Take a look at the rear tire, that is 100% pure ice. Solid and slick petrified water.

IMG_6036b.jpg

A bit of frost to go with the ice.

IMG_6038b.jpg

IMG_6063b.jpg

Fred's Uncanoonuc Mountain. Note the dirt road that he assured us he would not have in today's ride. Well, it was kinda short and the views up and down the mountain were worth it.

IMG_6074b.jpg

It is the season.

IMG_6096b.jpg

IMG_6114b.jpg

IMG_6117b.jpg

IMG_6134b.jpg

An unplanned stop at Fiddleheads for intake and output. This is THE place to stop for the beginning of the Covered Bridges Ride and will play an unexpected role in today's ride.

IMG_6143b.jpg

The real story of the morning. Check out the road, it may be ice, frost or plain water -- do you feel lucky? Every place that the sun didn't shine offered this ugly choice. Fortunately, it turned out to be problem free; just a real attention getter.

IMG_6154b.jpg

IMG_6165b.jpg

Way over on the right side of the picture, at the base of the telephone pole is a little round blur that was a porcupine that ran across the road in front of us. The kind of thing that gives the Michelin man nightmares. There were untold potential flat tires on this little guy.

IMG_6124a.jpg

IMG_6177b.jpg

The views are so much better without all those nasty green leafs.

IMG_6180b.jpg

IMG_6182b.jpg

With anticipation of a great brunch, humorous patrons and some quality chocolate, after 2 hours riding in <30°F weather we drool into Burdick's parking lot.

IMG_6200b.jpg

With that, Jack goes in and tells the Burdick wait staff that per out voice phone message we have arrived. Burdick's says that Jack's message wasn't good enough. :huh: :angry: So Jack points out that there are tables open and we don't have to sit together, but that wasn't good enough. :dntknw: So Jack negotiates with them. :argue: The Brudick's staff were :asshat2: It turns out that our group wasn't welcome no matter what, and please go away quickly. :realmad: :madsmiley: That's no way to treat anyone :nono: So we left, hungry and irritated, then saluted them with a universal sign language that they are probably too stupid to understand :finger: And with that, we turned around to go back to Fiddleheads :scooter: about 1.5 hours in the other direction, where the food is grrrreat and the employees feet touch the ground.

IMG_6205b.jpg

:finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:

IMG_6209b.jpg

Ready for winter, NH style.

IMG_6227b.jpg

Some places draw down lakes to accommodate the spring floods. I'm sure glad that we didn't plan to water ski on this lake!

IMG_6229b.jpg

Indeed! There are several linked corners in short succession that are really fun here on Rt 101.

IMG_6235b.jpg

Look to the left in this picture -- how convenient for those that failed to negotiate this corner :lol:

IMG_6239b.jpg

Fred promised no dirt roads then this 'other than dirt' road showed up. Greased Pig Road was a slime of mud on top of a frozen base. FUN, FUN, FUN!!! Fortunately all turned out ok :lol: In fairness, Burdick's was a surprise and this was an 'on the fly' route that Fred came up with to get us back to friendly territory. We really do appreciate his taking the lead and routing us back to Fiddleheads :)

IMG_6248b.jpg

IMG_6256b.jpg

Back to the future -- we re-arrive at Fiddleheads with a now starving group of very happy riders.

IMG_6267b.jpg

IMG_6273b.jpg

IMG_6274b.jpg

IMG_6280b.jpg

Mrs Asphalt Junkie's slimed motorcycle, thanks to Greased Pig Road.

IMG_6286b.jpg

A local ski slope working on snow making.

IMG_6306b.jpg

Over view from the same ski company that had closed this part of the mountain. This is this spot where I took my avatar picture when the trees were much smaller.

IMG_6317b.jpg

Chasing dawgs up Bible Hill Rd.

IMG_6341b.jpg

Ssshhhh, don't tell Busta about this spot. We didn't really catch the whole Scottish feel of this scene.

IMG_6353b.jpg

So ends another Fine Day Out!

Last edited by a moderator:
With that, Jack goes in and tells the Burdick wait staff that per out email message we have arrived. Burdick's says that Jack's message wasn't good enough. :huh: :angry: So Jack points out that there are tables open and we don't have to sit together, but that wasn't good enough. :dntknw: So Jack negotiates with them. :argue: The Brudick's staff were :asshat2: It turns out that our group wasn't welcome no matter what, and please go away quickly. :realmad: :madsmiley: That's no way to treat anyone :nono: So we left, hungry and irritated, then saluted them with a universal sign language that they are probably too stupid to understand :finger: And with that, we turned around to go back to Fiddleheads :scooter: about 1.5 hours in the other direction, where the food is grrrreat and the employees feet touch the ground.
You would think in these economic times people would understand the concept of customer service. As much as I enjoy dark chocolate there is absolutely no way I would tolerate that kind of behavior. I would be sending an e-mail to everyone I know with a cc to the business owners as to exactly why I will no longer be willing to depart with any of my disposable income at this establishment.

I am planning on heading out there this week to buy my supply of holiday gifting candy. Before I write them off and shop elsewhere, would someone explain what was the problem? Inappropriate dresss. too many people, no reservation (do they actually require reservations for Brunch)? Their response seems so odd, there must be more to the story.

You would think in these economic times people would understand the concept of customer service. As much as I enjoy dark chocolate there is absolutely no way I would tolerate that kind of behavior. I would be sending an e-mail to everyone I know with a cc to the business owners as to exactly why I will no longer be willing to depart with any of my disposable income at this establishment.
I don't think that would matter one little bit to them. When your hallmark is exclusivity, that would equate to advertising for them.

I am planning on heading out there this week to buy my supply of holiday gifting candy. Before I write them off and shop elsewhere, would someone explain what was the problem? Inappropriate dresss. too many people, no reservation (do they actually require reservations for Brunch)? Their response seems so odd, there must be more to the story.
The story was that "you must have reservations", yet nowhere on their web site does it say so, nor does it even infer that reservations are suggested. The kicker was that the place was not crowded. There was plenty of room. And Jack had called ahead and left a message on their machine telling them of our arrival at ~11AM.

Their clientele is mostly from western NH and eastern Vermont. They wear LL Bean, flannel and wool, not suit jackets and ties. I don't really know what their problem was, but I don't think it matters. Although it may have been an amusing scene to experience, I am more than willing to stay far away from their snobby, over-priced establishment for evermore. They are clearly not friends of motorcyclists. Even old people on quiet bikes such as ourselves.

There are other Chocolatiers in New Hampshire.

On a different note, other than the previously mentioned SNAFU, we (TMJ and I) also had a "fine day out". Yeah, it was cold, but we all knew it was gonna be and everyone dressed the part. It was the first real test of Josie (and my) heated gear, and was an unbridled success. When we are riding at or near freezing all day and she doesn't complain about being cold once? Well, yeah let's just say that is a welcome change. ;)

The ride route I planned around (and up) Mt Uncanoonuc included some new fun roads for most of the gang, even if they were a little frosty. We would have been a bit quicker if the temps were a few degrees higher. Then the last 15-20 miles into Walpole was some fun little country roads that were new to me too. I like the roads like that, that are too small to bother painting lines on. And they were pretty darned smooth for New Hampshire.

My promise for "no dirt roads" was just for the ride over to Walpole. That dirt turn around area on the top of the mountain doesn't count!! ;)

Once we (prematurely) left Walpole, all guarantees were over. :p

FWIW that "greasy pig" road we took on the shortcut into Hancock was Cherry Hill Rd. It is supposed to be paved according to Garmin. If it had been dry and warm it would have been a non-event. But the melting frost does make for a nice FJR / FZ6 Dual-sport challenge. When Michelin designs their Sport Touring tires, I don't think that is one of the road conditions they consider.

Anytime we get to go for a full day ride in New Hampshire in December, we have to figure that as a big bonus. Thanks to all for coming along and making it a great day.

PS - Where are we going next weekend?

If the snow doesn't stick on Wednesday... :unsure:

Looking at that picture of all of you good people enjoying breakfast in Fiddleheads made me sorry that I was not able to join you. I really enjoy riding that area and the great people who ride there.

I have some projects to do around the house that I have put off for many years and I promised myself and my wife that this would be the year to get some of them done.

OK, in fairness to Burdicks, I called and left a message on their machine just before we left the Sunoco meeting spot at exit #5.

There machine did say that leaving a message would not guarantee a reservation.

NOW we all know why I am the NECC, and that my bike is an electrical virgin. So why did the guy that has no gadgets on his bike make the call? :unsure: Fred W can actually answer his cell phone when he is riding.

When I got home last night I took my cell phone out of my pocket and lo and behold it said I had a voice message. Wonder who it could be from? :clapping: Burdicks asking for a clarification about 11 at 11. It seems they have a reservation for a large group at 12.

Soo, if we had actually arrived there at 11 as I told them when I left the message,they most likely would have seated us.

After arriving home at 4:10 the bride mentioned that she was cold.She should have brought some hand and toe warmers that she uses skiing.She did seem envious of the riders walking around with wires dangling from their jackets.

I suspect my little electrical vigin may be deflowered this winter :yahoo

So what do you need to catch up to the Jonses?

GPS

Datel Voltmeter

Battery Tender hook up

Wireing for liner and gloves

Some kind of box that prioritizes things?

Fuse box?

Relays?

Communication system that works, and doesn't fall off?

Fun day but it looks like it is going to get expensive, soon

OK, in fairness to Burdicks, I called and left a message on their machine just before we left the Sunoco meeting spot at exit #5.

There machine did say that leaving a message would not guarantee a reservation.

NOW we all know why I am the NECC, and that my bike is an electrical virgin. So why did the guy that has no gadgets on his bike make the call? :unsure: Fred W can actually answer his cell phone when he is riding.

When I got home last night I took my cell phone out of my pocket and lo and behold it said I had a voice message. Wonder who it could be from? :clapping: Burdicks asking for a clarification about 11 at 11. It seems they have a reservation for a large group at 12.

Soo, if we had actually arrived there at 11 as I told them when I left the message,they most likely would have seated us.

Thanks for the reply. That actually makes sense. Looks like they did make an attempt to provide a reasonable level of service.

After arriving home at 4:10 the bride mentioned that she was cold.She should have brought some hand and toe warmers that she uses skiing.She did seem envious of the riders walking around with wires dangling from their jackets.

I suspect my little electrical vigin may be deflowered this winter :yahoo

So what do you need to catch up to the Jonses?

GPS

Datel Voltmeter

Battery Tender hook up

Wireing for liner and gloves

Some kind of box that prioritizes things?

Fuse box?

Relays?

Communication system that works, and doesn't fall off?

Fun day but it looks like it is going to get expensive, soon
You can go the big dollar route and install a Zumo or save a little money and get a Garmin Montana 600. By some reports the Montana has a better screen that does not get washed out by daylight.

Here is a decent independent review of the Montana 600... Montana 600 Review. There is no bluetooth with this unit however.

A Datel Voltmeter is not essential IMHO.

You will need to install some Powerlet outlets to power some of the accessories... Powerlet.com

Install a Fuzeblock to keep everything organized... Fuzeblock.com

Extra relays should not be required with the Fuzeblock.

I have a Starcom1 Digital on my bike for listening to directions and XM Radio from my Zumo and I also have Bike to Bike radio wired through the Starcom1. There is also Bike / Pillon communication and it can be done via bluetooth so no wires required at a price $$.

Starcom 1.com

Since you are a Yankee I can hear you gagging from here when you see the total bill for all this.

I really have fun spending other folks money. :D

You will need to install some Powerlet outlets to power some of the accessories... Powerlet.com

I disagree. A Datel or some other voltage monitor is imperative if you'll be running heated gear like vests, gloves and grips on a first gen. such as bbdig and I both have. For instance, I have already come to realize that TMJ and I can't both be using our 90 watt heated jacket liners, my heated gloves and my heated grips simultaneously or we'd be into battery charge deficit mode. Without a battery V minder you'll end up with a dead battery sooner of later.

Powerlets aren't absolutely necessary either, so long as you don't mind having pigtail cords hanging around. A battery tender cable can be wired direct to the battery and in addition to its intended purpose, can also be used to power an electric tank bag, as an example. You just have to remember to unplug it at the end of the day. This is how I run my Vstrom and VFR electric tank bags. The PO of my FJR had put a p[owerlet into the "D" panel and that is a pretty handy location IMO.

I agree, a Fuzeblock undr the seat is the best solution for powering heated gear. Or you can make up a Yankee Frugal PDB, but again that is not a switched source so you have to remember to unplug. In the case of heated gear, it's pretty hard to forget. ;)

PS - Jack, let me know when you want to do all this farkle-age and we'll have a little farkle party.

Thanks for the pictures and RR. Someday ....

Your stager and distance between bikes tells me that yours is a good group to ride with.

All the hands wrapped around the coffee mugs tells me you were not kidding about the temp.

Our roads are the same here, any time the road shines the pucker factor goes way up. :blink: But like you folks, we are still riding but our speeds have slowed way down.

Again, thanks for taking us along.

I disagree. A Datel or some other voltage monitor is imperative if you'll be running heated gear like vests, gloves and grips on a first gen. such as bbdig and I both have. For instance, I have already come to realize that TMJ and I can't both be using our 90 watt heated jacket liners, my heated gloves and my heated grips simultaneously or we'd be into battery charge deficit mode. Without a battery V minder you'll end up with a dead battery sooner of later.

Powerlets aren't absolutely necessary either, so long as you don't mind having pigtail cords hanging around. A battery tender cable can be wired direct to the battery and in addition to its intended purpose, can also be used to power an electric tank bag, as an example. You just have to remember to unplug it at the end of the day. This is how I run my Vstrom and VFR electric tank bags. The PO of my FJR had put a p[owerlet into the "D" panel and that is a pretty handy location IMO.

I agree, a Fuzeblock undr the seat is the best solution for powering heated gear. Or you can make up a Yankee Frugal PDB, but again that is not a switched source so you have to remember to unplug. In the case of heated gear, it's pretty hard to forget. ;)

PS - Jack, let me know when you want to do all this farkle-age and we'll have a little farkle party.

After reading Bills info and yours the NECC has a headache and is anticipating a severe pain to the wallet :blink:
Perhaps some Dewars for medicinal purposes is in order :yahoo:

Ok doing it year book form..

Funniest moment

Old lady thanking us for not riding HD’s

Worst moment

Front tire slipping on Fred’s mud road

Lesson learnt

If you see linen table cloths – We are under dressed

Record Moment

Breakfast ride eating at 2PM

Stupidest moment

Buying overpriced chocolates from a place that will not serve PIRATES!

Pucker Moment

Seeing white stuff on the road.

Best moment

All Day

So, I just gotta ask ya Tony -- when you were going home from Goffstown, sitting down at the end of the ramp off of Rt 101, did you happen to hear a couple of different horns that kept honking? ;) :lol:

It has indeed been a fun year. It was a riot talking with the Pirate lady in Newburyport. I though we were going to be handed the key to the town of Hancock because our motorcycles had mufflers, as opposed to.... Brudick's will probably be hiring a doorman. Let's not forget that lady in the Caddy at the Commodores Inn in Stow, both her evening and the morning rounds. When all the cabbies in Stow drove us to FJReds house and said they would come back and get us, then went home, took the phone off the hook and went to bed. And on a sadder note Zip Zipped off to the left coast and has never been herd from again (mostly), wishing you well on your new endeavors! I'll come up with my list of Good Things that we enjoyed this year once the ground is frozen and white.

Oh, weep not for our friend Barry of the Zip clan. For he is riding (when he does) in warm days still on those smooth Cali roads, and living life larger, out d'ere in lovely Loomis.

The rat bastid!

If we ever manage to get our proverbial shit together enough to coordinate a ride to the left (coast!) we have threatened to drop in on their groovy digs.

(But I have it on good authority that he misses all you mooks greatly. So I guess we must be OK...)

Yup, so many stories and good times. I road back to the commodore in the back of the pick up with a truck full of a$$ hats. They naming them self’s. Ed’s wife had her hands full.

The Caddy lady I don’t recall… or maybe just Vaguely.

Next year if we do an off site thing I will rent a van and charge 5 bucks a head. Should pay for my weekend. :assassin:

I disagree. A Datel or some other voltage monitor is imperative if you'll be running heated gear like vests, gloves and grips on a first gen. such as bbdig and I both have.
I forgot you suffer with a limp wristed boat anchor of a motorcycle. My apologies. :p

Sorry I/we Have been brewing about this since my RR post of xmas theme But..... In ALL fairness to our group, there was absolutely no possible excuse nor communication mixup that can even remotely excuse the management of said establishment for their actions. 1) we called ahead (any time you enter the winter season in the N.E. travel on 4 wheels or 2 is hit or miss at best) they I'm sure have been stiffed on reservations they booked by people in cars ect

because of weather. 2)We ALL assesed the patron load AND waitstaff coverage(empty tables?fair amount of help) 3) It certainly mattered NOT! who called and when,the fact that we showed up quietly,dressed seasonal clean M/C attire (I see no difference between quality M/C gear and snow/ski apparel!! some were infact wearing ski gear) 4)ANY I repeat ANY seasonal resort area SHOULD (and most do) in these economic times,treat ANY business that can help with sustaining it's continued existence should be welcomed with open arms! As they say "the best recommendation is positive word of mouth" We,(as a group) work VERY hard to portray OUR motorcycle family to be pleasant,courtious and above all RESPECTFULL of all we encounter! That said, this for us is just a unfortunate bump in an otherwise awesome day with a great bunch of people enjoying what they do and looking forward to the great places they ride and(for the most part) the wonderful people they meet along the way!

Sorry I/we Have been brewing about this since my RR post of xmas theme But..... In ALL fairness to our group, there was absolutely no possible excuse nor communication mixup that can even remotely excuse the management of said establishment for their actions. 1) we called ahead (any time you enter the winter season in the N.E. travel on 4 wheels or 2 is hit or miss at best) they I'm sure have been stiffed on reservations they booked by people in cars ect

because of weather. 2)We ALL assesed the patron load AND waitstaff coverage(empty tables?fair amount of help) 3) It certainly mattered NOT! who called and when,the fact that we showed up quietly,dressed seasonal clean M/C attire (I see no difference between quality M/C gear and snow/ski apparel!! some were infact wearing ski gear) 4)ANY I repeat ANY seasonal resort area SHOULD (and most do) in these economic times,treat ANY business that can help with sustaining it's continued existence should be welcomed with open arms! As they say "the best recommendation is positive word of mouth" We,(as a group) work VERY hard to portray OUR motorcycle family to be pleasant,courtious and above all RESPECTFULL of all we encounter! That said, this for us is just a unfortunate bump in an otherwise awesome day with a great bunch of people enjoying what they do and looking forward to the great places they ride and(for the most part) the wonderful people they meet along the way!
Bluejag-

Sorry it was me.

I skipped a shower before leaving for the ride. Ask anyone I suck at getting there on time!

Unkempt need not ask for service in the front of the house. It’s I would believe crossed off the destinations list.

I regret giving them a few bucks for their chocolate, but hey! We where there, took some pics and moved on.

I will egg them later. Shit I throw with my throttle hand!

Latest posts