NERDS Treasure Hunt and Photo Safari

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fred,

You should refer to the memory cards and/or sticks as bananas. That way the hunters can say (or sing) "Come, Mister tally mon, tally me banana" :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
marfjr

Ms marfjr
US.gif
NH128/158/19
on.gif
on.gif
on.gif
on.gif
on.gif

marfjr

Sandi
US.gif
NH128/148/19
on.gif
on.gif
on.gif
on.gif
on.gif

And look, according to the current registration list, he's cloning himself to increase his chances of winning!
laugh.gif

And now... for the announcement that you've all been waiting for:

The NERDS Treasure Hunt and Photo Safari (THaPS) Bonus List!! <<< Click dat

You'll find that there is no shortage of interesting and diverse Vermont locations for you to visit on this Treasure Hunt, while you are gathering up points for the game. 68 unique locations in all, each with an assigned point value. And, there are also 10 different "combination bonus" opportunities for visiting a certain number of the locations in any particular category. With so many possible locations and combinations, there's well over a million different possible ways to attain the most points. You get to choose what interests you.

You can download and print the full bonus list .pdf file for your strategery planning from the links on the above linked web-page or click here.

Impotent Notes:

We have slightly modified a couple of the penalty rules for the hunt since the initial announcements were made, so be sure to read through the Treasure Hunt page again whenever you get a chance. The main changes are:

We have changed the sealed drivers license requirement from a penalty for non-compliance to a 150 point bonus for bringing your license back to us still sealed.

We have also changed the End of Hunt timing from escalating time penalties to a 10% bonus for coming in early (before 5PM) and a 15% penalty for coming in late (after 5:30PM). The timing is still the same (relatively short) and the drop-dead time limit is still 6PM, after which you will be disqualified. :banned: There's a 25% difference between those coming in at 4:49 and those arriving at 5:31. So plan your schedules wisely. :eek:k:

An important reminder for all participants is that the 8AM Pre-Hunt meeting is mandatory. It's there that you will finally get your very own Hunting mojo and we will seal your drivers license (assuming that you actually have one!). We will also hand you an amended copy of the entire bonus list describing what you need to obtain or photograph at each bonus location (that is the one thing that you are missing right now). So... If you miss that important meeting, you will be out of the hunt. Don't be late! Altitude sickness is no excuse!

On hunt day, you will be able to identify all of the Hunt Masters by their unique Lime Green NERDS Tee Shirts. So, for example, when you return to the Commodores Inn parking lot at the end of the day, you'll be looking for those lime green shirts to stop the clock and check you in ASAP. We should also have some signs or banners up in the area that the time keepers are located.

Your Hunt Masters for the day will be:

Me (Fred W) and Joann (TMJ)

ionbeam (Alan) and Mrs 'beam (Helen)

Asphalt Junkie (Paul) and GinaMcD (Gina)

bluejag (John) and Mrs 'jag (Gail)

and last, but far from least, webmaster FJRed (Ed) and Gidget (Grace)

The Hunt Masters met, beginning way back in the middle of winter, for the planning and creation of this one day debacle. And, to be honest, we were not really completely done with the planning until just yesterday. :eek: You may notice that the bonus list is incredibly well organized and easy to access, and that is primarily due to the superior organizational skills and web talents of one, FJRed. The man is a machine,. I tell ya!! So some very special thanks go out to FJRed, but also to the rest of the Hunt Master team for helping with organizing and bringing you this event. We all know that you all are going to have a hell of a good time. :p

One more bit of housekeeping:

In order to provide each hunter with their very own unique Mojo, we've had to estimate how many participants there will be on Hunt Day, a month from now. As of right now we are showing 19 people as saying they are interested on the NERDS Guest List page. Using a highly scientific statistical algorithm (aka a WAG) we've determined that we will have to limit the hunt to the first 25 people who've signed up for it.

So, if you have serious intentions about wanting to participate, and you haven't already made your intentions known, you'd better go back and re-register with the "NERDS Treasure Hunt" box checked, ASAP. Likewise, if you initially registered and said that you did want to do the Treasure Hunt but are now having second thoughts, please go back and delete your prior selection in your registration to allow everyone that really wants to participate to be able to do so. If you need any help with any of this registration modification stuff, just PM one of the Hunt Masters and we'll get you straightened out.

Now... you have a full month to prepare your strategy, plot locations, and develop routes. Have fun, and see you all for the NERDS THaPS 2012!!

I have my plan mapped out. :lol: Yeah right!

Hint to the other demented riders signed up for this punishment. Fred says you can download the the pdf list, but you must download it to see the bonus point list for combinations. I think the rally bastard is screwing with us.

PICT0038.JPG

No points for a picture of the three covered bridges in one shot eh?

Hint to the other demented riders signed up for this punishment. Fred says you can download the the pdf list, but you must download it to see the bonus point list for combinations. I think the rally bastard is screwing with us.

But no! Oh orange-crazed, wild Bill-man.

When you go to the on-line Bonus List webpage list, there is a pull down at the top of the list set to "show all destinations", by default. Simply select the category of combination that you are interested in pursuing to show only that subset (and the combo bonus point value as well).

The really nice thing about using the on-line version is that we have already supplied to you with a link to a website with more details on that location! :)

No points for a picture of the three covered bridges in one shot eh?

Meh. Too easy! :rolleyes:

(actually, didn't think of it. :huh: )

Just to set the record straight, here's how the planning really went. Several times over the past six months or so, this scenario was repeated:

Ed would create a masterpiece of a spreadsheet and send it out, and we would respond with, "Wow Ed! Great job!"

Then Fred would take the spread sheet, run through some possible combinations, then make some suggestions, and we would say, "Great idea Fred!"

So, they are the ones who really deserve our thanks for all the time put in to launching the website, creating the files, tweaking the routes, managing merchandise sales, negotiating with the hotel, etc., etc. It's been a pleasure working with you two, and the rest of the team!

Gina & Paul

When you go to the on-line Bonus List webpage list, there is a pull down at the top of the list set to "show all destinations", by default. Simply select the category of combination that you are interested in pursuing to show only that subset (and the combo bonus point value as well).

The really nice thing about using the on-line version is that we have already supplied to you with a link to a website with more details on that location! :)
Fred,

Up working on this til the wee hours of the morning. The time needed for all your bonus points is 9 hours and the total points are 5526. You'll need to let us go a little early if we want to get all of them by five pm.

Oh wait we need to ride to them too? Never mind.

Mr Bill

Just in case anyone had trouble with the NERDS website this afternoon. We had a thunderstorm roll through and the power to the house was out for a while. All better now...

Just in case anyone had trouble with the NERDS website this afternoon. We had a thunderstorm roll through and the power to the house was out for a while. All better now...
I'm glad the site was down. I got to do a little accounting work instead of route planning.

Oh ferchissakes!! What kind of a rinkey dink outfit is this anyways? :angry:

Oh... That's right. This is NERDS!! :p

(we do everything on a shoestring, and we're damn proud of it!)

Normally, the NERDS datacenter (which is located in a super-secret and highly fortified bunker guarded by Ninja warriors :assassin: hidden deep in the Green Mountains) is protected from power problems by a triple-redundant system consisting of diesel generators and a self-contained nuclear power plant. However, in this particular case, a catastrophic series of events occurred which caused all of the redundant systems to fail simultaneously in a giant puff of white smoke. We had a thunderstorm...

Actually, none of that stuff is true (except the thunderstorm part). The trusty NERDS server is sittin right here beside my desk, running on a Frankenstein PC created from left over parts of old computers. When I got home from work, everything was powered off.

Now I just gotta figure out to reset the clock on the Microwave. :blink:

So, I've got my winning route for the NERDS Treasure Hunt all mapped out. (Damn! I forgot, I can't play... :angry2: )

How's everybody else doing with their planning? Only 19 days left... :yahoo:

Ed.

So, I've got my winning route for the NERDS Treasure Hunt all mapped out. (Damn! I forgot, I can't play... :angry2: )

How's everybody else doing with their planning? Only 19 days left... :yahoo:

Ed.
I've done my winning plan to gobble up points.

Only problem is I have to ride it and I get lost easy. I'd better take my passport for that wrong turn I"m bound to make. :blink: