Neutral Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it has only been 14 months and this fecking relay looks like it is failing again. And two days before I leave for CFO and an SS1K. WTF???!!! I hope I can get one overnight!
That's what you get for going to CFO instead of EOM!
tonguesmiley.gif

Is it getting time to trade it in for a sexy, new, red '14?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it has only been 14 months and this fecking relay looks like it is failing again. And two days before I leave for CFO and an SS1K. WTF???!!! I hope I can get one overnight!
That's what you get for going to CFO instead of EOM!
tonguesmiley.gif

Is it getting time to trade it in for a sexy, new, red '14?
As to the former Scott, someone in the family decided to get married that weekend. And to the latter, you may be on to something there.

I also just found out that Cyclepartswarehouse is closed on Mondays!!! Damn! Anyone have another source for a 5VK-81950-30-00 realy that I can get overnight?

Just got off the phone with Mike(Powerman) and he bought one at the same time I did and still has it. Awesome! I will be seeing him tonight.

Have you pulled the relay yet? Is there signs of corrosion on the contacts? I've had various contacts with corrosion on them that I've found over the years, including the fuel pump relay between and below the headlights:

fuelpumprelaycorrosion.jpg

I'd suggest gooping some dielectric grease on the connectors whenever you open any connections to avoid future corrosion.

I haven't pulled it yet, but given the past experience I thought it prudent to procure one first. Last year there was no evidence of corrosion or any evidence of moisture. It must have a good seal, because I have ridden in some severe conditions. I will know for sure in about an hour when I pick up the replacement.

Spare parts...Yeah, that's why my tool bag weighs so much. Bob, I know that's the new one because I put an X on the original. LOL
Thanks again Mike. Replacement was ordered yesterday. I will drop it off next week after I get back, so you have it before you leave for EOM.

BTW, I had zero symptoms yesterday afternoon and zero symptoms this morning. Relay is in the tank bag though.

I R&R mine same time as you Bob, and it's still OK. I did grease it though.
I still haven't taken this one off, so I don't know what the contacts look like. I know last year they looked new, so no corrosion or moisture evidence. My only concern is that there is another underlying issue that is causing this relay to fail. The original lasted over three years of my use and five years on the bike (only 2100 miles when purchased in '09). This one 14 months. I only know of a couple others that have had issues with this relay including you Art. I will pull the relay tonight and inspect. If it looks good I will dab some dielectric on it and reinstall until I see the first symptom again. I would just replace it if it wasn't so easy to get to and replace. ( I can see myself on the side of the highway somewhere in Ohio/Indiana with my hand up under the cowling!)
fool.gif

I tried to clean and grease the old one last year, but no love. It was still shit. So I'm sure you will have to R&R, but grease the new one, and maybe it lasts longer. Don't know, but cant hurt.

I tried to clean and grease the old one last year, but no love. It was still shit. So I'm sure you will have to R&R, but grease the new one, and maybe it lasts longer. Don't know, but cant hurt.
I don't know what I did with the original one. I wanted to disect it and see if I could figure out what failed. I never did and I don't know where it is now. When I change this one I will try to do some forensics on it.

Hello,

I've just returned from a 6000+miles trip with my FJR and on the way back it showed symptoms similar to the ones discussed in this topic: green neutral light initially was on dimmed during riding in gear and on neutral it was on at normal intensity. The symptoms were random and later it they changed from dimmed neutral light on to flickering neutral light while in gear. A little later I noticed that the right dimmed bim bulb ogt burned and more or less immediately the neutral light symptoms were gone. I didn't change the bulb yet and for the return trip of 1500miles (wiith the right dimmed bim light off) the neutral light behaved normally. Could it be any connection between these two? Or I should better order already the famous relay and replace it as preventive maintenance?

Thanks.