New Bluetooth TPMS Coming Out...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lowes here has it. They call it something else but it's the same stuff. They have a whole rack of different types of Velcro.

I bought a couple of dual-lock 2-packs of 3" X 1" strips at Staples office supply.
Earlier I fabricated a switch mount for the auxiliary light controls:

I used a piece of scrap light weight rectangular section metal tube, cut and shaped to suit using an angle grinder/cutting wheel, drill and dremel. It's secured with the small allen screws that hold the handlebar bolt caps.

(I stuck some velcro on the top of it in order to temporarily mount a gps antenna, but found the internal gps in my cell phone is very accurate and sensitive, so I no longer use the antenna.)

The cell phone is mounted using a ram ball installed on the extra threaded bolt hole located at the clutch lever. I seem to recall hearing the Gen IIIs don't have that extra spot.

For that light and small TPMS unit, I think dual-lock, or even good velcro, fixed to the flat surface of the steering nut would be the simple solution
Thanks for the replies. The Gen III does have the threaded hole in the clutch reservoir. I'm currently using that for a ram mount that I have for my cell phone.

Lowes here has it. They call it something else but it's the same stuff. They have a whole rack of different types of Velcro.
I've seen the section of velcro at Lowes. Just never seen anything from 3M. I already have some super sticky velcro (name brand), but it's just the standard velcro with a very sticky adhesive backing. I wouldn't trust that stuff to hold up over time.

I'll probably just drill a mounting hole in the steering nut since they are only $15 to replace. Using the mounting hole in the nut is probably a better solution for anti-theft reasons.

Lowes and HD will have dual lock. It will be in a red or yellow package. There will be black strips with little mushroom shaped heads and at 2 different spacing patterns. The same pattern will stick to the same pattern - if you really want some holding force mix the two patterns. That it holds like crazy. Make sure the surface you adhere it to is clean and dry.

Good luck - Joe your friendly forum 3M employee. :)

So I've had a few rides with the Tire Watch. Here's my pro's and con's list comparing the Tire Watch vs. the FOBO system.

I still have the Tire Watch display temporarily mounted to the upper fairing. I need to tap the triple tree nut for a better, more visible mounting solution. The upper fairing location works well for a temp solution as it's bolted in. The buttons on the display unit can be a little hard to push making a double sided tape not a good solution for mounting.

IMG_4062.jpg

Pros for Tire Watch

* Dedicated tire pressure readout / can be good or bad. It's just one more thing to mount to your bike.

* Do not need to remove anything to add air to the tire

Cons for Tire Watch

* More expensive $184 vs $99

* Sensors do not have user replaceable batteries

* Replacement Sensors more expensive to replace. $79 each.

* Pain in the butt to install (took me all day to do myself)

* The bike has to be moving for about 30 sec to get the initial reading. You can't just walk up to the bike and get a reading. I guess that's to save battery life. This could be potentially dangerous since you'd have to ride on a low tire before you'd get the warning.

Pros for FOBO

* Less expensive

* Sensors have replaceable batteries

* Easy to install

* Bike can be static to get a pressure reading

* Can give an audio alert of low pressure when using bluetooth audio system i.e. Sena communication system

* Will give you a low pressure warning any time your within 30ft of the sensors. Will give you a warning before you even get to your bike.

Cons for FOBO

* No dedicated display. Can be a good or bad thing. My phone is already mounted, so there's is nothing extra to mount.

* Need to remove sensor to add air. Can be resolved using a T-tire valve.

This is just a quick "off the cuff" list.

One think to note. Once the FOBO sensors are linked to your phone, if stolen, they become useless to the thief as they will only work with the linked device.

MedPilot, appreciate your thoughts on the units here......

Now if you could be so kind to go and grab a hair-dryer and remove that sticker on your gas tank, it would be greatly appreciated by all the following members here.

I understand that you are used to sitting in a cockpit and seeing all those ridiculous warning stickers, which you cannot remove, and you have been able to over the years, just ignore - but this is your own personal vessel, and i'd be willing to bet that the FAA will have nothing to say on the matter....
jester.gif

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Warpdrv,

I got a chuckle out of your post. I think you have something there with relating my indifference to remove the tank stickers with my aviation background. I also like the stickers because it makes the bike feel new to me. They honestly don't bother me. I think it's kinda cool to see a vintage bike with the factory stickers still intact. I don't know if I'll keep the bike that long, but you never know.

My other bike has tank stickers too.
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

IMG_4030.jpg

Installed my FOBO sensors over the weekend. From Sunday until today (Friday) I am down 1 p.s.i in the front and 2 p.s.i in the rear. I have not moved the bike since install. I fear this farkle may be too good to be true. I will recheck my install but I fear these do indeed create a slow leak through the sensors.

Installed my FOBO sensors over the weekend. From Sunday until today (Friday) I am down 1 p.s.i in the front and 2 p.s.i in the rear. I have not moved the bike since install. I fear this farkle may be too good to be true. I will recheck my install but I fear these do indeed create a slow leak through the sensors.
I''ll have to start keeping a log of my pressures. My front sensor doesn't seem to lose any air. The rear may lose a little, but who knows if that because due to a small leak in the tire? I'll start keeping a log and then move the sensors over to another bike to compare. Probably a good idea to record the temp along with the pressure for consistency sake.

I procrastimunated and ran out of rubber before I ordered t-stems. Got a cut in my rear on the highway, and my front was shot and acting crazy. Replaced both at less than 8K miles. Will have to wait until the next set to try FOBO. So sometime late summer or early fall if this set goes like the OEM set. Plenty of time to see how your FOBO is doing.

Received the Tire Watch package in the mail yesterday. The FJR is till at the dealer having new head bearings installed. Should get around to putting these in sometime next week.
[img=[URL="https://s18.postimg.org/mzpecgrt5/IMG_3807.jpg%5D"]https://s18.postimg.org/mzpecgrt5/IMG_3807.jpg][/URL]
I'm about to install new tires on my '15 and as I indicated before I have the very same set here waiting to be installed at that time. I have a question though. Which of the three possible valve seal gaskets did you use on the FJR rim? The grey one for BMW, the o-ring, which the instructions say is for 8mm rim holes, or the ones that came installed on the 11.5 nut in the sensor. Best guess on my part here is to use the one that is already on the 11.5 mm nut that comes installed on the sensor.

Help!!

Thanks

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="leclairk" data-cid="1230196" data-time="1431708436"><p>

Installed my FOBO sensors over the weekend. From Sunday until today (Friday) I am down 1 p.s.i in the front and 2 p.s.i in the rear. I have not moved the bike since install. I fear this farkle may be too good to be true. I will recheck my install but I fear these do indeed create a slow leak through the sensors.</p></blockquote>

Oops. I should of checked in a long time ago. I've got the fobo on the t stems now, but installed them approx 2 months ago. I never lost any pressure. I did notice that the pressure fluctuated up and down , but correlated with my tire gauge. I'm pretty happy with it. Keeper in my eyes for me.

OK, so,I had my tire watch system installed when I replaced the OEM tires on my 2015ES with PR4GTs last week. Here are my findings: of all the confusing parts included in their " universal kit " I used the rim seals already preinstalled on the sensor assembly. They are the 11.5 mm ones required for the FJR rim. Perfect fit. The included 90 degree angle valves clear front and back calipers perfectly. No problems whatsoever. We installed the sensors with the one with lower serial number in the front with the rounded corner pointing in the direction of rotation. Ditto for the back one with the higher serial number. Unfortunately none of this is explained anywhere in the instructions and the enclosed manual includes some mistakes in the description for the 8 mm o ring.

The kit includes a long 4 mm screw which fits the fairing screws perfectly and I used the screw in back of the glove box, towards the driver, and mounted the display/user interface there. A bit awkward to get used to, but a very elegant solution without any drilling, filing or other modifications.

All in all we encountered no problems mounting the stiffer GT tires onto the rims. No interference with the sensors, etc..

Pressure was set at 42 front and back and I will now run the system and adjust the pressures to the prescribed settings. No loss of pressure could be observed after four days.

.. For now I have the receiver double sided taped to the steering nut. I'll probably drill a hole through the nut for a more permanent mounting solution.
Have you considered using 3m dual lock? It's like velcro on steroids.

I use it to hold my cell phone secure on a short ramball arm. It takes a firm effort to pull the phone off.

The laminar lip windscreen accessory uses dual lock 'dots' to secure it to the top of the windscreen, and it stays on nicely at fjr nominal speeds, as do the cee bailey headlight protectors.
Honestly I'm not married to the idea of drilling a hole in the steering nut. I got the idea from seeing the Ram mount balls drilled into the nut.

Where did you get the 3m dual lock? I did a quick on-line search at Lowes and Home Depot and didn't come up with anything.

I've stared at my FJR cockpit and I can't seem to find a suitable spot for the receiver other than the steering nut.
Home Depot has it under a different name. I used some to mount my accessory fuse box and had a hard time repositioning the box. Located on the same aisle as the velcro products in my local store. Made by 3M. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Scotch-1-in-x-3-in-Black-Extreme-Fasteners-RF6731/204465390

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="eg23232" data-cid="1255962" data-time="1441120203"><p>

FoboBike won't work with 90° valve stem on the front. Sensor won't clear the calipers.</p></blockquote>

This is partially why I used the t stems. The t allows you to never have to remove the sensor to add air. It also maintains the sensor in the center of the rim.

FoboBike won't work with 90° valve stem on the front. Sensor won't clear the calipers.
If you had the 90 facing forward or back, would they work on the FJR ?!?!?!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="eg23232" data-cid="1255962" data-time="1441120203"><p>FoboBike won't work with 90° valve stem on the front. Sensor won't clear the calipers.</p></blockquote>

This is partially why I used the t stems. The t allows you to never have to remove the sensor to add air. It also maintains the sensor in the center of the rim.

Would you be so kind to post up a pic of the FOBO on the bike with the Tstems...

Still haven't bought these, but am planning to. I almost always have at least one iPhone up in view, so it's perfect for me. Now if I can just get up the nerve to take a hairdryer to those gray "1300" badges cluttering up the nose....