New BT023 Tyres

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritFJR

Reaction score
Just launched in the UK is the Bridgestone BT023F (Feb 2010) to replace the awful BT021 - I've just had a pair fitted and have done about 650 dry miles on them (as for some strange reason it hasn't rained here for over a week now). I will post some results when I've been to Spain on them but so far they are excellent.

Let us know how they are doing after 3-4k. The 21's were just junk, so for Bridgestone's sake I hope these are an improvement.

Just launched in the UK is the Bridgestone BT023F (Feb 2010) to replace the awful BT021 - I've just had a pair fitted and have done about 650 dry miles on them (as for some strange reason it hasn't rained here for over a week now). I will post some results when I've been to Spain on them but so far they are excellent.
recently had a set of these installed and after close to a 1000 miles i'm very impressed. After using up sets of michelins and metzlers I decided to try these GT spec tires. For the first couple days I was a little nervous. Never have I experienced such a difference in handling and feel from a tire change. The best I can describe the ride now is effortless. I'll post after a couple thousand more miles.

We're all heading to NERPT any minute, but...

I've got a fresh set on my bike and I'm headed out this afternoon to do a 1600 mile loop through Wyoming and Colorado. I'll be back Sunday. In a few quick rides to scrub them in the steering feel is fantastic. I'll post an update after the ride. I also got the GT spec...

Having just travelled down to south of Barcelona taken in Motogp of Catalunya, covered 2,500miles in 4.5 days with one day riding 750miles from Rouen to the hotel in Spain. I can say my PR2's coped admirably. I shall be trying the Dunlop Roadsmarts next time.

Enjoy Spain and hopefully the Milau bridge in France

Andy

Any updates on how the BT023 tires are doing on the FJR's?

My Pirelli Strada is getting thin and trying to decide on which tires to try next..PR2, BT023, or the Angel ST's.

My Pirelli Strada is getting thin and trying to decide on which tires to try next..PR2, BT023, or the Angel ST's.
Not racking up too many miles since I've got mine on--I think I have maybe 2500 on them. So far I really love how they handle. They are definitely more round on the front and back than the 021's were at this point. I should get in one more longer ride this fall to take them over 4000 miles so we'll see. My 021's were gone by 4K.

I'm getting a set of BT023s installed on Wed to replace the OEM BT tires on my '09 before heading off to WCR. The front tire won't last the trip. Already replaced the back tire due to an encounter with a big nail.

I'll take some close up pics after the WCR trip. I figure probably about 2000 kms or so Calgary to Parksville and back with a buck of riding around in between.

Pics of the wear after a known mileage might help some folks.

ian

The set of Bridgestone BT023's I had fitted in April have now had to be changed in an emergency whilst on a trip in the south of France. I experienced rapid wear on the rear tyre having left home with 3mm + of tread. It tore up within 1200 miles right across the tread pattern down to the bare threads under the rubber. No madness of riding was taking place amongst the dozen bikes also with me on the trip.

The very good Yamaha dealer I managed to crawl to at 30mph offered me the same rear tyre but I opted for his Mitchelin Pilots 2's instead on the front and the rear, as on closer inspection the front tyre had 'V'd like the earlier two sets of BT021's I had before. I felt this when dipping into hairpin bends as the bike would dip down onto the flat and felt as though it was going over!!

In conclusion I have had it with Bridgestone's they are just not as good as the BT020. I was hoping to go the Dunlop Roadsmart route, but in the middle of France you can't be too picky when you're running on threads!!!!

Total mileage was 5,200 miles on the pair and although the initial feel was very confidence inspiring they wear un evenly as the 021.

The set of Bridgestone BT023's I had fitted in April have now had to be changed in an emergency whilst on a trip in the south of France. I experienced rapid wear on the rear tyre having left home with 3mm + of tread. It tore up within 1200 miles right across the tread pattern down to the bare threads under the rubber. No madness of riding was taking place amongst the dozen bikes also with me on the trip.

The very good Yamaha dealer I managed to crawl to at 30mph offered me the same rear tyre but I opted for his Mitchelin Pilots 2's instead on the front and the rear, as on closer inspection the front tyre had 'V'd like the earlier two sets of BT021's I had before. I felt this when dipping into hairpin bends as the bike would dip down onto the flat and felt as though it was going over!!

In conclusion I have had it with Bridgestone's they are just not as good as the BT020. I was hoping to go the Dunlop Roadsmart route, but in the middle of France you can't be too picky when you're running on threads!!!!

Total mileage was 5,200 miles on the pair and although the initial feel was very confidence inspiring they wear un evenly as the 021.
Is it possible you didn't have the "GT" spec mounted? I've got almost 4000 miles on my GT spec 023's and the front is still almost perfectly round (no cupping) and the back is still good with a slight flat spot beginning. For comparison, same roads, same load and riding style, my stock 021's were gone at this point (4000 miles) and my Michelin PR (not II) were cupping and flat spotted at about 4500 miles. So, it looks to me like this will far outlast both of those...I also really like the ride and handling of them.

I think I can confidently say that the set I have are definitely NOT wearing unevenly like my 021's did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible you didn't have the "GT" spec mounted? I've got almost 4000 miles on my GT spec 023's and the front is still almost perfectly round (no cupping) and the back is still good with a slight flat spot beginning. For comparison, same roads, same load and riding style, my stock 021's were gone at this point (4000 miles) and my Michelin PR (not II) were cupping and flat spotted at about 4500 miles. So, it looks to me like this will far outlast both of those...I also really like the ride and handling of them.

I think I can confidently say that the set I have are definitely NOT wearing unevenly like my 021's did.

I have at last found the receipt for the BT023 Tyres I had fitted when they were first launched in the UK (early 2010) and they were not' GT spec. 023's'. The tyre garage and Bridgestone's UK website at that time did not have them as fitment for the FJR, only the PAN, GTR1400 and heavy BMWs.

So beware fitting the non GT spec BT023 as they do start off in life as very good tyres but when you get to approx 3mm of tread they WILL and DO wear RAPIDLY!!! and the front cups like the 021's

I recommended them to a friend with an 03 FJR and he had exactly the same tyres fitted (NON GT spec) and suffered the same fate whilst away on a trip to Slovenia.

Ugh. With the GT/non-GT/whutdafuk crap, I'll just stay away from Bridgestones from now on. Michelin doesn't make me go through crap like that.

Like GreyGoose, they lost me with the BT-021, and they'll have to put out a tire that sticks like a MotoGP tire and lasts 20,000 miles for me to ever consider them again. IOW, I'll buy Dunlops before Bridgestones ever again.

I have 5,000 miles on my BT023 GTs and so far, no problems. Still plenty of tread, still good grip in the twistys, stable at high speeds. No complaints. That includes the rides at SW-FOG in Taos, two trips up the Coronado Trail, several trips on AZ 260 from Clint's Well to Camp Verde and several trips through the Salt River Canyon. More than enough miles on the edges and the center. I check pressures every day I ride - 42 rear, 37 front.

Ugh. With the GT/non-GT/whutdafuk crap, I'll just stay away from Bridgestones from now on. Michelin doesn't make me go through crap like that.

Like GreyGoose, they lost me with the BT-021, and they'll have to put out a tire that sticks like a MotoGP tire and lasts 20,000 miles for me to ever consider them again. IOW, I'll buy Dunlops before Bridgestones ever again.
May I suggest it's not as difficult as you are making it? The GT spec is for the FJR, and only comes in the size for the FJR. So, you get the one made for the FJR...which doesn't really seem that complicated.

https://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/products/battlax/bt023.html

May I suggest it's not as difficult as you are making it? The GT spec is for the FJR, and only comes in the size for the FJR. So, you get the one made for the FJR...which doesn't really seem that complicated.
Yes it is, because most of the mail-order people/systems out there haven't heard of subtypes for tires, and neither have the local dealers, for whom you usually have to explain things in single syllables. Plus "special" low-quantity tires are usually 10% more expensive than the "regular" ones if you can find them (not that I've priced them, just past experience)

So I avoid the pain of "do they really know what they're talking about?" and the subsequent hassle of returning the non-GT tire that they shipped me anyway, by buying a set of Pilot Road 2s.

And I also avoid "is it another shit Bridgestone tire?" by never buying another Bridgestone tire again.

Bridgestone dicked me over by stopping production of an excellent tire, and substituting one that was a total piece of shit, so they've lost my business. They were garbage on my FJR and garbage on my SV-650.

Last edited by a moderator: