New ECU and Barbarian Jumper mod

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal24Master

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to change the CO settings on the new ECU"s? I had done the Barbarian Jumper Mod on my old ECU. I got it replaced on the recall this week. I tried to check the CO settings this morning and found I cannot even get into the Diag. screen. I am doing it just as before, holding both buttons in while turning on the ignition but it does nothing. Is there another way to get into the Diag. screen and C0 settings?

Tom

:angry:

I did it. No issues at all.

Had my ECU replaced 10/27/07, as soon as they became available.

BTW, replacement ECU CO settings were: 5, 18, 18, 21

Original ECU CO settings were: -10, 8, 8, 11

Went +7 on both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Went +7 on both.
OK ALL GOT A COUPLE QUESTIONS,,

I have been informed (here) that the ECU CO settings remained the same when you get the ECU upgraded?? Anyone got more input here??

Also, another thread here on the forum spoke about the 08 ECU's having a different wire/pin config.. Does this hold true for 06-07's new ECU??

I thought the CO settings were stored in a different place(other than the ECU)... If not, since Co settings are suppose to be specific for the motorcycle, should you do the barb. mod and note yours before the ECU is changed out and compare???? Also, can you have the Barb. mod done on a 06-07 before having the ECU changed out??? Or does the New ECU get a new plug(wire harness)??? And/or will the mod mess with the NEW ECU's plug(is it a different config. than the previous)???

Anyone with first hand knowledge of this???

WW

The Barbarian Jumper Mod is physically on the connector. CO settings are stored in the ECU. Only the ECU (black box) is replaced. The original connector/wire harness assembly stays.

When the ECU is replaced, no changes are made to any settings. You get whatever settings are stored on that particular new ECU (i.e. Yamaha Tech Bulletin says nothing about reading the settings on the old ECU and inputting them to the new ECU).

The BJM allows you to view what the CO settings are, and to change them if you desire.

Regarding the BJM and the '08s, only Jagermeister seems to have any comments thus far, and his CO settings indicate four 10s. Kinda weird.

Hit the rode Jack,

Thus, I bet it would be a good idea to know your bikes specific CO settings before you have it upgraded. Seems to make sense.

WW

Hit the rode Jack,Thus, I bet it would be a good idea to know your bikes specific CO settings before you have it upgraded. Seems to make sense.

WW
Well, not really.

It seems that the Factory programs a run of ECUs with the same numbers. I would venture a guess that these generic "settings" aren't perfection but still allow the bikes to pass emissions testing for sale here.

When I got my "new" ECU it had the original settings. No one set up anything on my bike when they replaced the ECU. I checked them when I got home and they were back to stock. It really doesn't matter what they are. Unless you use a CO2 analyzer, you're just shooting blanks by fooling with the settings.

Hit the rode Jack,Thus, I bet it would be a good idea to know your bikes specific CO settings before you have it upgraded. Seems to make sense.

WW
Well, not really.

It seems that the Factory programs a run of ECUs with the same numbers. I would venture a guess that these generic "settings" aren't perfection but still allow the bikes to pass emissions testing for sale here.

When I got my "new" ECU it had the original settings. No one set up anything on my bike when they replaced the ECU. I checked them when I got home and they were back to stock. It really doesn't matter what they are. Unless you use a CO2 analyzer, you're just shooting blanks by fooling with the settings.

Well my point was so that you could retain your stock settings.. So you weren't "shooting blanks."

I did not look at my old ECU, I decided to wait till after the whole surge thing got fixed.

Mynew ECU from the dealer was

5 18 18 21

I reset it upon arriving home form dealer that day, and have been riding it that way ever since. Bike seems to run better especially at low RPM. But for 13,000 or so miles I averaged between 46 and 50 mpg. Since the Mod my Mileage has dropped to around 41ish. I put it back to factory settings today. And will see if it goes back up. The same day I did that mod I also put in a K and N filter. So We'll see if K and N with factory co settings will improve MPG or not. still testing?

Went +7 on both.
Hmmm.....

So.. Has any of you, that have had the ECU changed, had this done with your ECU plug "barbarian modded" at the time?? Also, it seems that I heard the new ECU wasn't suppose to change the stock CO settings? The above statements seem like they go against all I have heard about CO settings being setup for specific bikes or specific vin series... If your original ECU was -10, 8, 8, 11 and the new ECU was at 5, 18, 18, 21... It seems like a big change in CO settings(was this an error on the dealerships service dept. side of things?? Or NOT??)... I thought the CO settings were suppose to remain the same??

Anyone have the true scoop on this??

WW

Went +7 on both.
Hmmm.....

So.. Has any of you, that have had the ECU changed, had this done with your ECU plug "barbarian modded" at the time?? Also, it seems that I heard the new ECU wasn't suppose to change the stock CO settings? The above statements seem like they go against all I have heard about CO settings being setup for specific bikes or specific vin series... If your original ECU was -10, 8, 8, 11 and the new ECU was at 5, 18, 18, 21... It seems like a big change in CO settings(was this an error on the dealerships service dept. side of things?? Or NOT??)... I thought the CO settings were suppose to remain the same??

WW

I never heard from anyone here that the settings would not change when you replace the ECU. What I did hear was that the installing dealers would not change the CO settings as a part of the recall, so whatever was loaded in that ECU when they received it is what you got. The only way that you would have the same settings before and after would be if your old ECU and the new ECU had the same "factory settings" loaded in them, which has been the case on a percentage of bikes that were upgraded.

Also, back when folks started doing the BJM, people were reporting a lot of bikes coming from the factory with the same identical ECU settings. But, there were also a number of bikes that were completely different. Why would that be, you might wonder. My theory is that the ECU's are all loaded with a generic set of numbers that have been predetermined based on the average FJR engine. Then, before they leave the factory I'm sure they do some sort of a emissions / CO check. If it passes they ship it. If it doesn't it gets fiddled with (who knows how) until it does pass.

So... since the bike was at least tested once as it left the factory, if I were getting a new ECU I'd want to know what my original ECU's CO settings were so that I could put the same numbers back in after the replacement. Either that or find a set of headers with the bungs in them and get the tuning done correctly.

What confuses me is why there are reports of new ECUs coming as a part of the recall that have different values loaded in them. Since Yamaha has no idea what bike the part is being installed on, it would make more sense if the were all loaded with the same "generic" numbers.

Yes, I had the BJM done prior to replacement of the ECU
Also, it seems that I heard the new ECU wasn't suppose to change the stock CO settings?

The settings are whatever the "new" ECU was set with from the Factory. It has absolutily nothing to do with a particular bike or what settings the "old" (original that the bike came with) ECU.

The above statements seem like they go against all I have heard about CO settings being setup for specific bikes or specific vin series...

The ECU settings are generic, that is they are something the Factory can live with. I really dont know, but I would not be suprised if the Factory is only required to test a certain percentage of their production runs. If this is true then having a standard setting for ECUs makes sense. The settings aren't perfect but are "good enough" to pass emissions. That would explain the reason so many are the same and at the same time other groups are different. It may be driven by the runs and testing procedures.

If your original ECU was -10, 8, 8, 11 and the new ECU was at 5, 18, 18, 21... It seems like a big change in CO settings(was this an error on the dealerships service dept. side of things?? Or NOT??)...

No error by the Dealer. I doubt they have ever set the CO2 settings when delivering a new bike but it does appear, as you stated that there could be a big spead in one's orginal settings and what may come in a replaced ECU. Some members have reported a lower mpg since having the new ECU installed. Maybe the different settings cause this when also coupled with the altitude fix. I don't know. I also don't know if altering the CO2 settings has the ability to decrease your mpg.

I thought the CO settings were suppose to remain the same??

Well, in my case they did (not taking into account the amount I orginally "changed" my settings from stock). I have since gone back into the diag. mode and "bumped up" my settings an additional 5 across the board. This is where my "shooting blanks" statement comes from. Without the proper way to test what the CO2 readings are in each pipe I'm just guessing or shooting dice, whipping the bishop, spanking the monkey or whatever you want to call it.

There is a very good thread on this (not whipping the bishop) by a member in Germany. I have not found it yet but I keep searching. It brings this whole crackpot method of accross the board adjustments to the CO2 settings and what the Factory settings don't really do to balancing the levels. It is the best explaination about how to achieve the results correctly.

WW
That's as close as I can get, for now.

Went +7 on both.
Hmmm.....

WW
I installed the new ECU in December with the BJM done more than a year ago. My settings on the new ECU were 5 - 18 - 18 - 21..I added +7 to all of them without any problems. My original settings with the old ECU were -10 8 8 11 and I added + 7 to them and the bike ran better. Im in Minneasota so I have not test ridden the bike with the new settings on the new ECU. If there is a problem I can always set it back to the original settings. The Barbarian jumper mod worked the same on both ECU's.

I installed the new ECU in December with the BJM done more than a year ago. My settings on the new ECU were 5 - 18 - 18 - 21..I added +7 to all of them without any problems. My original settings with the old ECU were -10 8 8 11 and I added + 7 to them and the bike ran better. Im in Minneasota so I have not test ridden the bike with the new settings on the new ECU. If there is a problem I can always set it back to the original settings. The Barbarian jumper mod worked the same on both ECU's.
This will be a good test. I assume that your bike should be too rich with the big numbers you have in there right now (12,25,25,28). The starting values on the new ECU were pretty close to your +7 tweaked values on the original ECU.

Thanks fellas,

I am gonna do the barbarian mod and check my 07's settings before and after the ECU change.

WW

my two cents:: '06 with original ECU after Barb jumper were 5, 18, 18, 21 --- avg mpg was 45+- 3 for the first 4K miles

orig ECU + 7 points= less low rpm stumble --- avg mpg was 43 +-3 for next 5k miles

updated ECU with barb jumper were 5, 18, 18 21 --- avg mpg was 44 for first tank (~220 miles on sat.)

updated ECU + 7 points = less low rpm stumble --- avg TBD [4inches of snow on Sunday]

ride safe

my two cents:: '06 with original ECU after Barb jumper were 5, 18, 18, 21 --- avg mpg was 45+- 3 for the first 4K milesorig ECU + 7 points= less low rpm stumble --- avg mpg was 43 +-3 for next 5k miles

updated ECU with barb jumper were 5, 18, 18 21 --- avg mpg was 44 for first tank (~220 miles on sat.)

updated ECU + 7 points = less low rpm stumble --- avg TBD [4inches of snow on Sunday]

ride safe
Thanks Rublenoon,

That is good to know. I will be making sure the CO settings on my new ECU are the same(if not, I will note the new Eco's just in case I decide to switcher back). That way I will be comparing apples to apples when trying out the new one for fuel economy and smoothness and such. By the way, I just did my Barbarian mod to my 07A, The values were as follows: 5,18,18,21.... Same as yours.

WW

Latest posts