New ECU Fix / If It Aint Broke Don't Fix It

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
I went to the well known D&H to have my ECU swapped under the recall today while I was traveling N to a friends wedding about 100 miles away.

I stopped in, did the swap and took off for the wedding about 30 miles away from D&H. By the time I made it to the Church, I noticed the bike was surging at constant speeds / no altitude change. The first thing I did when I pulled into the church was call D&H and told them to hold my ECU, I want it back. The only prob is they will be closed before I get out of the wedding.

I said I have never had a surge prob, and was iffy on doing the recall. but with NAFO comming I figured I would do it as a Just-In-Case precaution. I don't know if these things need a break-in (program)period or anything, but it was about 180 miles back to my house from after the install.

I went by 29 Dreams and had the mechanic (Roger) ride my bike just to make sure it was not in my head- some of you are familiar with him, and would say he is respected in these parts. His evaluation, "Yes, Its surging, not as bad as some I've ridden, but its surging."

Surging at traffic/small town speeds. Hold the throttle constant and steady speed 20 - 50 mph (cruise) in 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yer dickedlyness seems ta have caught up with ya!

Thats why I've yet to have my TPS serviced, kinda scared of the results. :blum:

:jester:

Really? Wow. I don't know if it's me or not but put 100 miles on mine today. Two up and elevation changes from 500 to 3200 ft. Thing never ran better. No problems what so ever. I'm actually starting to like this FJR.

Hope it works out.

hh

Hopefully it's an issue of this particular ECU, something to do with putting it back together (perhaps a loose connector), or a one-off issue....and not a new problem you're the first to discover.

We barely survived the last problem as a community. Oy vey! :blink:

Wow. Odd, and NOT the kind of news anyone wants to hear.

Hopefully, your experience will be an anomaly.

I had mine swapped out yesterday but did not get to ride much (working) but today we will be riding most of the day so I will let you know if I have any trouble from mine later. I sure hope not.

While it shouldn't have affected thngs, did they set the CO settings?

If you have surging where you didn't previously, have them hold your original ECU and try a second replacement - could be a bad input on the replacement board. Stuff happens.

Had mine done yesterday at Smtih Brothers Oneonta. Rode about 85miles on it back with no surging. Sorry to hear that fence. It has to be an isolated issue.

I had my 07AE ECU changed out 2 weeks ago. Rode home from the dealer and couldn't tell any difference from original ECU (no surging) I still had the too lean mixture, heavy throttle return spring, & abrupt throttle cam though.

Performed the following:

1. Unwound 1 turn of center Throttle Return Spring

2. Installed G2 Throttle Cam

3. Barbarian Mod then reset CO +7

I then spent a week riding it in the Smokey Mts. 1000 t0 6000 ft. Absolutely Flawless Engine Performance!!! No Surging under any conditions plus Smooth, linear, and predictable throttle response. (This is especially important for low speed handling on the AE)

I had my 07AE ECU changed out 2 weeks ago. Rode home from the dealer and couldn't tell any difference from original ECU (no surging) I still had the too lean mixture, heavy throttle return spring, & abrupt throttle cam though.
Performed the following:

I then spent a week riding it in the Smokey Mts. 1000 t0 6000 ft. Absolutely Flawless Engine Performance!!! No Surging under any conditions plus Smooth, linear, and predictable throttle response. (This is especially important for low speed handling on the AE)
Did you like the G2? Have two coming for our bikes. Hope they are worth it.

Not sure what the Barbarian Mod is. And did the single turn of the retrun spring help?

Also, did yours surge before the change? Or did you just do change to be sure?

Ours change-outs are scheduled for Tuesday. Only had one instance, in 5,000 miles, when they surged. Coming from about 7500' to about 5000' with easy use of throttle. Wife had it happen 4 times that day. I only had it happen once. Probably 4,000 of the 5,000 miles was in mountain terrain (eat your heart out "flat-landers")

Today, did Hwy 64 (in New Mexico). Rode with an Iron Butt guy (Bob Hall) so we didn't take our time. Felt nothng all day. Ran like it should.

Not sure what to do now. Pretty good shop. Wrenchers pretty good. Guess we will see.....

Fencer,

Big #1 in Homewood put my new ECU in last week. No surging yet... I may ride it to Chattanooga next week, I'll know for sure then.

Performed the following:

YES!!! The G2 was a big improvement. Especially for low speed handling on AE

Not sure what the Barbarian Mod is. And did the single turn of the retrun spring help?

Barbarian Mod is fully described elsewhere on this Forum. It allows you to change the low speed CO settings in the computor. I increased the CO numbers by 7 which in effect richens up the mixture at low throttle settings. Releasing 1 turn of tension on the center Throttle Return Spring seemed to reduce the required Throttle Grip Torque by about 30% It still snaps back against the idle stop.

I had not previously ridden bike out of Florida so NO it hadn't surged but since I had the trip to the mountains planned and suspected it would have surged in the mountains. So I had it changed before leaving.

Performed the following:

YES!!! The G2 was a big improvement. Especially for low speed handling on AE

Barbarian Mod is fully described elsewhere on this Forum. It allows you to change the low speed CO settings in the computor. I increased the CO numbers by 7 which in effect richens up the mixture at low throttle settings. Releasing 1 turn of tension on the center Throttle Return Spring seemed to reduce the required Throttle Grip Torque by about 30% It still snaps back against the idle stop.

I had not previously ridden bike out of Florida so NO it hadn't surged but since I had the trip to the mountains planned and suspected it would have surged in the mountains. So I had it changed before leaving.
Thanks for the info. Most of my riding is from 5000' to 7700' (we live at 5400'). G2s should arrive tomorrow. Will read up on the Barbarian Mod.

I went to the well known D&H to have my ECU swapped under the recall today while I was traveling N to a friends wedding about 100 miles away.
I stopped in, did the swap and took off for the wedding about 30 miles away from D&H. By the time I made it to the Church, I noticed the bike was surging at constant speeds / no altitude change. The first thing I did when I pulled into the church was call D&H and told them to hold my ECU, I want it back. The only prob is they will be closed before I get out of the wedding.

I said I have never had a surge prob, and was iffy on doing the recall. but with NAFO comming I figured I would do it as a Just-In-Case precaution. I don't know if these things need a break-in (program)period or anything, but it was about 180 miles back to my house from after the install.

I went by 29 Dreams and had the mechanic (Roger) ride my bike just to make sure it was not in my head- some of you are familiar with him, and would say he is respected in these parts. His evaluation, "Yes, Its surging, not as bad as some I've ridden, but its surging."

Surging at traffic/small town speeds. Hold the throttle constant and steady speed 20 - 50 mph (cruise) in 1st,2nd,3rd, and 4th.

If it aint broke, don't fix it!

I'm having my 07 ECU changed out today and should have the bike back shortly. Will let you know how things go. Before the ECU changeout, mine always did surge at slow speeds in town.

Just finished a trip from 800 ft to 6000 ft and back.

Nary a hiccup.

(2006 AE w PC III + G2)

I think I'll wait........ :yahoo:

Mine done last week. 300 miles and up the Crest with no surging. Good luck with yours. Keep us posted.

I'm a little nervous about the change. Shop manager could not tell me how long it might take tomorrow to change out our ECUs. He wasn't sure where it was. Thought under the seat somewhere. I'll let you know what transpires tomorrow.

I guess what worrys me most is the fact that I KNOW where it is and my ability to work on a bike rates about a 0+.

But, since it happened to both my wife and me, at the same time, on the same road, under the same conditons....I guess they need replacing

Hope the techs know more than the Service Manager.

UPDATE: WENT IN TODAY AND, GUESS WHAT? BOTH TECHS OUT FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS. SERVICE MGR SAID HE COULD FIX IT IF HE KNEW WHERE IT WAS. I TOLD HIM WHERE...HE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS UNDER THE SEAT. TOLD HIM I WOULD WAIT UNTL HE GOT A TECH BACK IN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Odd, and NOT the kind of news anyone wants to hear.
Hopefully, your experience will be an anomaly.
I had the same problem, <_< the new ECU resulted the bike to surge when trying to hold a steady speed. I added (5) to each CO number and that, made the (off/on) throttle as good as before.