• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Finished Rack Pictures

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey OHFJR, I've sent you the payment for the rack via PayPal. :clapping: I look forward to putting it on and posting some shots of it on my AE..

For anyone going to WFO you can see my rack as Turbodave 98 has one on his bike and will be glad to show it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you use the backrest while the Givi bag is mounted? That'd be nice. It looks like it fits, but I'd like to know for sure.

Can you use the backrest while the Givi bag is mounted? That'd be nice. It looks like it fits, but I'd like to know for sure.

Well, it might fit but I can tell you you won't be able to open the lid on the box up very far, if at all because it will hit the backrest. Therefore it won't do you any good to have the box on the rack.

For anyone going to WFO you can see my rack as Turbodave 98 has one on his bike and will be glad to show it to you.
I don't remember seeing Turbodave's rack. Radman, GalaxyBlue's, and TomMelchild's rack, yes, but not Turbodave's. B)

Could you trim down the size of the rack so it would be close to the same dimensions as the Givi Universal mounting plate?

It would be nice it if could hold a Givi box without sticking out on the sides so much.
It is possible, but it would probably be very expensive to make one plate that way. I'm guessing design time and fabricating cost for a single unit would be about $250.00 at a minimum because my fabricator charges me $150.00 just to cut the aluminum plate for a prototype. It still needs the stand offs made and welded and then powder coated. If there where more members that wanted this the price would be less.
I want this. I like the basic design, but don't need it to serve tea. It's too big IMHO.

Thanks,

Don
Well thats 2, anybody else want a rack just big enough to fit on a Givi plate?
I will take a small one for the Givi plate.

Could you trim down the size of the rack so it would be close to the same dimensions as the Givi Universal mounting plate?

It would be nice it if could hold a Givi box without sticking out on the sides so much.
It is possible, but it would probably be very expensive to make one plate that way. I'm guessing design time and fabricating cost for a single unit would be about $250.00 at a minimum because my fabricator charges me $150.00 just to cut the aluminum plate for a prototype. It still needs the stand offs made and welded and then powder coated. If there where more members that wanted this the price would be less.
I want this. I like the basic design, but don't need it to serve tea. It's too big IMHO.

Thanks,

Don
Well thats 2, anybody else want a rack just big enough to fit on a Givi plate?
I will take a small one for the Givi plate.
I'm in the same boat as Fred, one the same size as the Givi universal plate, or just a tad larger, and I mean not much would be right up my alley.

Since this is aluminum, rather than powercoating it, how about just brushing it? Hell it's going to be covered anyway.

So now you have (4)

Since this is aluminum, rather than powercoating it, how about just brushing it? Hell it's going to be covered anyway.

So now you have (4)

No, I will have three racks and I'll have a backrest available for any of these racks. I will also have a standalone backrest that bolts directly to the stock tail rack.

I don't remember seeing Turbodave's rack. Radman, GalaxyBlue's, and TomMelchild's rack, yes, but not Turbodave's. B)

He probably had his Givi box on top of it the whole time. I'm going to ask for my advertising fee back, lol

Got a back rest for the Givi... If she needs more than that, she can stay home :)

Got a back rest for the Givi... If she needs more than that, she can stay home :)
You can mount the backrest on the Givi rack, but I'm not sure you can have both the box and backrest on the rack at the same time. I can tell you that next week. I will point out that you wouldn't be able to use the box very effectively since the lid will hit the backrest when you go to open the box.

You can mount the backrest on the Givi rack, but I'm not sure you can have both the box and backrest on the rack at the same time. I can tell you that next week. I will point out that you wouldn't be able to use the box very effectively since the lid will hit the backrest when you go to open the box.
That's not what I meant... I mean I already have a back rest on the Givi v46 that I need to mount on your plate :D

I can't see needing both either unless you didn't want to take the Givi with you.

-MD

My thoughts are if you can put the box on with the attached backrest, you save $60 or so on the Givi rest, making the attached backrest essentailly $90, seeing you're saving that extra cash.

New Givi Rack, I'll give everyone a glimpse of our new Givi specfic rack for the 06. This is designed to hold any of the Givi universal plates, but is the identical size and shape of the Givi E250 universal plate which holds the popular V46 and E52 boxes. The rack mounts to the FJR tail using the three bolts. This is significantly different then our standard luggage rack in size and in shape. The picture below shows the new "unfinished" Givi rack laid on top our standard rack. You'll notice it has slots for bungee cords so you still use this as a luggage rack for smaller items. A helmet can be strapped down on this rack as well as a small bag, when the givi plate is not attached. It is designed to accept our standard backrest also. The rack will not come with the rack protector plate, but it can be purchased seperately if desired. The rack will be powdercoated with a black textured finish. This rack will be ready to ship next week and sells for $150.00. Let me know if your interested.

givirackcomparison.jpg

+1

Honestly I'd think having it naked would be just as good as black since I'm going to cover that thing up if it saves any $

-MD

+1
Honestly I'd think having it naked would be just as good as black since I'm going to cover that thing up if it saves any $

-MD

The aluminum's finish would quickly degrade from the outdoor exposure and you'd also see scracthes from the metal fabrication process. I mean it is up to you, but the powder coating would only save you about $5 to $10 depending on how many parts I run at a time. We are a custom powder coater, so we powdercoat all the parts in house.

OHFJR said:
+1

-MD

The aluminum's finish would quickly degrade from the outdoor exposure and you'd also see scracthes from the metal fabrication process. I mean it is up to you, but the powder coating would only save you about $5 to $10 depending on how many parts I run at a time. We are a custom powder coater, so we powdercoat all the parts in house.
Also, the front part of the rack where it is bolted to the bike is not covered by the Givi plate, so it would look kinda funny.

Got my rack yesterday. :D It looks great, fit and finish excellent. I will post some pics after I attach it to the bike.

OHFJR,

Received the rack today (orig size) -- very nice work!

Perfectly fits a Cortech sport tail bag.

Installed in 5 minutes, and most anyone with a 10mm socket can easily do the install. Didn't look up the torque -- any one know offhand?

I added an 8mm ss washer between the rear counterbore weldment and the stock nut to slightly tilt the aft end of the rack away from the stock tail piece.

There was clearance, but with the washer there's a measured 0.221" space between the bottom of the rack and the stock tail piece. Not sure if any reasonable load would allow it to flex/bend enough to touch -- but pretty sure with about a 1/4" -- there'll be none. (Standard ss 8mm washer is 0.060" thick)

(If i get to it, i'll take some pics, and edit post to include pics.)

Again -- thanks -- very good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
We took the backrest out for a 90 mile test drive last night and the wifey really likes it. She thought the angle is just right and doesn't think I should change it. I'm still thinking about shortening the height about an 1-1/2". If any one is interested in the rack and backrest let me know. The rack is $175.00 and the backrest is $150.00. If you buy both items at the same time you can have them for $300.00 plus shipping.

I am interested...where does this hit your wifes back? Picture...side shot? My wifes 5'4...but short legs ;) so I'd like to see how it hits to see if it will work for her.

Thanks, Cary
Still interested but haven't heard from ya?