New garage!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been picking away at re-starting the shop. Lots to do, many things to evaluate, and taking my time due to the need to apply floor sealer next week.

Here's a few photos of what's going on:

New rolling tool cabinet--Hex and Torx drawer

IMG_20150908_212606_725_zpsbvfbnbdw.jpg

Not every drawer is that tidy, but the bottom shelf ain't too shabby either

IMG_20150908_213331_457_zpsoxmgnzwl.jpg

1600 lbs of topsoil carried by hand, seeded, watered, and this is what happens in about 4 days...

IMG_20150910_110717_915_zps63ny6ap7.jpg

And then parts for Phil just keep showing up!

IMG_20150910_164431_331_zpsbw1dk2qk.jpg

Shane

Well, I started off really enjoying this thread and I actually learned a few things. I was happy for Shane, I was getting ideas and then somewhere along the way things started to turn sour for me.

I have decided I hate Shane and his damned garage.
upset.gif

Nothing really personal Shane, I am just insanely jealous down here in the swamp. It is a fine garage. Unfortunately for me, the shed I was going to build for the offshore boat I was going to buy...is now a shed I have to build for a camper that I did not want. Strange how plans can change.

Good story about your friend Billy. I hope he knows that you still think about him and that part of his legacy is still living and working with his friend.

I cannot say that I blame him for getting on the tequila out in Arizona. Have you seen what living in AZ has done to Beemerdons?

Well, I started off really enjoying this thread and I actually learned a few things. I was happy for Shane, I was getting ideas and then somewhere along the way things started to turn sour for me.
I have decided I hate Shane and his damned garage.
upset.gif

Nothing really personal Shane, I am just insanely jealous down here in the swamp. It is a fine garage. Unfortunately for me, the shed I was going to build for the offshore boat I was going to buy...is now a shed I have to build for a camper that I did not want. Strange how plans can change.

Good story about your friend Billy. I hope he knows that you still think about him and that part of his legacy is still living and working with his friend.

I cannot say that I blame him for getting on the tequila out in Arizona. Have you seen what living in AZ has done to Beemerdons?

Super double-like!

punk.gif

A few more shots of the move-in process.

Workstation coming together little by little--having the stereo back is a major bonus! What isn't visible are the shop lights directly above the bench--never can have too much light!

IMG_20150911_204759_356_zpsu5k8i8yz.jpg

That corner is waiting for a new rolling wire corner shelf to arrive. That's where all the oil, filters, and other supplies will reside.

IMG_20150911_204807_593_zpseplzmo28.jpg

Jackets and helmets back in action...

IMG_20150911_204818_718_zpsw2am3ssd.jpg

Shane

Last edited by a moderator:
More progress, just in time for this weekend's "Fifth of the Every So Often Motorcycle and Steak Fry Day". Several friends from around the region will be helping break the new garage in with motorcycle projects, grilled meats, varoius beverages, and a general lack of vegetables, served in mass quantities.

Floor sealer applicator at rest for a moment

IMG_20150915_134159_830_zpsgf4t6yxc.jpg

Tires are all squeaky

IMG_20150915_134213_394_zpsxzrnhqdc.jpg

It will never look this good again

IMG_20150915_134300_504_zpsou5kxi5j.jpg

A short break to pick the apples off the tree by the driveway

IMG_20150915_152247_851_zps7wbkycpq.jpg

More parts arriving--these are for shifter linkage upgrades on HD's

IMG_20150915_171925_960_zpsyfzzu1uc.jpg

And then, this showed up...

IMG_20150915_173809_499_zpsvru7il3z.jpg

My rolling shelf storage scheme is coming together!

IMG_20150915_182608_673_zpsg7kcxv2b.jpg

Shane

Hosted the 5th of the Every-So-Often-Motorcycle-And-Steak-Fry-Day this weekend!

Only had about 8 visitors this time, but we had a 4-day fun-packed weekend, even though I was fighting a cold the whole time.

Here are some pictures of a few of the fellows and their bikes...

Bryan showed up on Thursday to do some .270 rifle reloading for his son, so I got him to help me bring up the basement fridge to the garage---beer fridge! Minimal maintenance needed on his '06 Gold Wing.

IMG_20150917_142653_845_zpst4zagikd.jpg

Mark recently came into a 2011 Police Road King for a great price--upgraded the shift linkage, tightened up the transmission lever, changed oil, filter, and primary, and did a general once-over.

IMG_20150919_213901_695_zpstuyj0vm5.jpg

Scott didn't need much done, so he broke out the wax--shiny!

IMG_20150919_213949_781_zpsw8bn3tfb.jpg

Phil needed a few things done...new (PR4) tires front and rear, new left side fairing panel, new left top quarter fairing panel, new power supply for GPS, oil and filter change, and a wash after riding all day in rain on Friday afternoon.

IMG_20150919_214003_750_zpsywquoynu.jpg

Corey spent Friday afternoon on a plane, then rode this '14 FJR back from NC on Saturday. 995 miles for the day when he pulled in a little after midnight before going home--putting him over 1000 miles on the first day of ownership!

IMG_20150920_242701_633_zps2avcjq3z.jpg

There was also a smattering of other bikes that hung out at various times over the weekend, and we even had an impromptu picnic in the garage on Friday evening, since a storm blew out the power for a couple of hours.

I grilled about 10 lbs of venison steak on Saturday afternoon, which was in addition to the beans, pasta salad, hot dogs, apple pie, potatoes, bacon, eggs, and pancakes served multiple times over the weekend. All were full, and the group ride Saturday evening was simply a joy.

This was a big reason to build the new garage, to share good times with other like-minded riders.

Thanks for following along!

Shane

What was the all-in price per square foot ?

Right at about $42/sq. ft. A significant up-cost was the electrical work, because in addition to the 240 service with both 30 and 50-amp plugs, the outside service to the house from the pole had to be raised several feet to clear the new roof height. And, we added at least ten additional 110v lights and outlets.

If I had stuck with just the regular base electrical service, that number would have been closer to $38-39/sq. ft.

Never figured it out before, but your question made me look up some information on the topic. I'm very pleased with the result measured by that standard as well. Thanks for asking.

Shane