New Garmin Zumo... 590LM

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, call Garmin. They have incentives for those people who would like to upgrade AND they told me to keep my old GPS's!
I plan on mounting them to the tech mount stem stand that is currently on the bike. They do provide ram mounts, but I would prefer my stem stand.

I was concerned about the screen brightness. I need to look at it in extreme sunlight and see how well it's lit. It's cloudy this morning. Maybe later today the clouds will disappear and I can test it. I will post pics.
Thank you for the update and pic's would be great. That's the only thing holding me back. I don't need another GPS I can't see in the daylight.
I've also been using the Montana but I can't compare it to anything else. However if they're using the same screen on the 590LM as the Montana you may be happy with it. I have it mounted on my left bar with only their anti-glare screen protectors and have had no issues seeing it in the sun. (A little blurry sometimes but moving the head back usually fixes that
sadsmiley.gif
.)

Being able to use it in Portrait orientation is also nice. Just seems more natural to me.

The plate with ball does not appear to be provided in the kit, so (assuming using RAM hardware) you'll need one of those, plus an arm and a ball attached to the bike somewhere.
I disagree.

Though the web site doesn't show it (yet, it's still pretty sparse at this point) all zumos have previously come complete with the RAM mounting hardware required to mount the GPS on your handlebar, or the back of the lever perches.

This would include a RAM B-347U ball,

RAM-B-347U.jpg

RAM B-201UA short arm,

RAM-B-201U-A.jpg

and the RAM B-309-7U combination handlebar or brake/clutch mount

RAM-B-309-7U.jpg

If you want to mount it elsewhere (RamBone, stem mount, or other) there are lots of possible solutions, but I'm pretty confident the zumo will come with the basic RAM mounting parts above as they always have.
Just bought a second Rugged mount along with the same mounting hardware above from GPS City. Ran me about $60. Nice if Garmin includes that in their package.

I'm amazed at the prices these dedicated units cost. I thought I spent a lot on my GPSmap 60Cx when I dropped about $300 on it. I personally prefer to use the GPS to tell me where I am and then use maps and/or my brain to calculate routes. Then I don't end up in the middle of corn fields and what not and don't end up lost with no clue where I am. I can upload custom routes I create too. I'm surprised I don't see more people going this route. My hand-held GPS is waterproof, can be used with gloves on, powered off the bike, etc. I've got the TOPO maps so I've got more road detail than any on-road unit I've seen, and I can use it when backpacking or doing other activities away from my vehicles.
smile.png
If I need to find a restaurant or something I can pull over and look it up on my phone. I don't need to be looking up that stuff while riding anyway. And to top it all off, I can spend the $500 I saved on something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm amazed at the prices these dedicated units cost. I thought I spent a lot on my GPSmap 60Cx when I dropped about $300 on it.
I paid about $800.00 for my Street Pilot III in about 2004 (when I got my 04 FJR).
Ten years later, their still getting the same big bucks for them!

Got a 590 a couple of days ago. It was a bundle, from GPS City, which included 2 tire pressure sensors at a discount.

Some notes:

You can change screen orientation.

There's also integration with various other devices in real-time, such as to get traffic updates. I'll be trying out the iPod interface, for one.

Like the 660, a very long cable for bike installation. One winds up with loops of cable stuffed somewhere, unless you want to cannibalize it somehow. Though the 660 mount looks the same, they are not compatible with each other, hence not interchangeable.

I'm amazed at the prices these dedicated units cost. I thought I spent a lot on my GPSmap 60Cx when I dropped about $300 on it.
I paid about $800.00 for my Street Pilot III in about 2004 (when I got my 04 FJR).

I'd be willing to bet that Garmin decides what they think they can get for their GPS completely independently from what it costs them to manufacture it. That $800 price point is strictly what they have determined they will get an adequate number of sales and maximize their profit from.

No not everybody will want to spend that much money on a GPS for their motorcycle, just like not everyone will spend $16k for the motorcycle itself. But enough will.

Yeah, it's a price point. Just like cheap laptops cost about ~$350 ... technology gets cheaper but the laptop prices stay the same, they just pack more into them. Same with the GPS stuff.

The pricing comes down to "what the market will bear". If it costs Garmin 50 cents to make a GPS that costs $800 and people will pay $800 ... good for them. That also means there is room for competitors to get in on it. Granted, Garmin has a large number of GPS's at various price points as well, but if you want a Zumo and their benefits it will cost a bundle.

Personally ... I've been using a 550 for eight years and had to replace the screen. I also use various other GPS in rental cars, my parent's Nuvi, and google navigation. The Zumo wins hands down for use on a motorcycle, and in my opinion is well worth the price. I do look at the newer offerings once in a while but their benefits don't seem worth it compared to what I've got. Now, if I didn't have this here 550, I would probably buy the 590.

Photos of 590LM to compare with my old 2610 Garmin and also to an iPhone.

Okay in next post then ;-)

Whoops....I didn't grab all the pics. Here they are...................
590indirectsunlight-1_zps38e19f8c.jpg
2610indirectsunlight_zps61114c74.jpg
590indirectsunfromupabovelayingontableondeck_zps41245b54.jpg
Nighttime-2610ontop590onbottom_zps54cf82bb.jpg
GPSonright-Iphoneonleft_zpsd6873019.jpg
GPSontop-IphoneonBottom_zps93bfbaf4.jpg

I didn't have captions to my photos (cuz I'm a dooofus)....

anyway,

Picture 1 is the new 590 in direct sunlight.

Picture 2 is my old 2610 in the same position as above.

Picture 3 is the 590 laying on the deck table facing directly into the sky with direct sunlight.

Picture 4 is a night time shot of both GPS's.

Picture 5 is a comparison of the 590 to an iPhone.

Picture 6 is the same as above.

So, I tried the iPod interface (with my nano) and it works great for your music. Supposed to also work with iPhone. Just connected into the USB cable in the provided harness and voila - it could see all my albums and playlists and such without having to convert to MP3. It also allows 2 bluetooth headsets to simultaneously receive music from the unit.

There are various apps that grab weather, traffic and such by integrating via bluetooth to one's smartphone. My smartphone is NOT an iPhone, it's a Samsung. But data coverage is spotty where I live and especially where I expect to travel, so I'm not sure how workable that will all be.

So far, so good, except for the annoying "Demo" mode it keeps wanting to drop into.

I didn't have captions to my photos (cuz I'm a dooofus)....anyway,

Picture 1 is the new 590 in direct sunlight.

Picture 2 is my old 2610 in the same position as above.

Picture 3 is the 590 laying on the deck table facing directly into the sky with direct sunlight.

Picture 4 is a night time shot of both GPS's.

Picture 5 is a comparison of the 590 to an iPhone.

Picture 6 is the same as above.
Thank you!!!

Doesn't appear much better, "brightness wise" in the sun. About the same as my car GPS on the bike (below pic but not in the sun)

My marine GPS (Garmin-much larger screen), in full sunlight is very easily seen. I don't know why they don't use that screen for this application.

@Scott,

I doubt that the new zumo is as bad as your car GPS in the sun. Those are pretty much atrocious from what I have seen. Unfortunately Iris did not have a car GPS to compare it to, but she did have a streetpilot 2XXX series, which is generally regarded as having a pretty bright screen. I'd suggest getting a look at one first hand before writing it off as not worthwhile.

@Scott,
I doubt that the new zumo is as bad as your car GPS in the sun. Those are pretty much atrocious from what I have seen. Unfortunately Iris did not have a car GPS to compare it to, but she did have a streetpilot 2XXX series, which is generally regarded as having a pretty bright screen. I'd suggest getting a look at one first hand before writing it off as not worthwhile.
Agreed Fred,

I'd like one but as you said, I'd like to see it in person outside in full sunlight. May be awhile as

thier prettty hard (at least around here) to find on the road...

If someone can clarify, (I did read the spec's), is one of the short "octopus cords" to hardwire the MP3

to helmet speakers (with the small, three connection pointy connetor)?

I currently have standard speakers, hardwired in my helmet with an adapter cord to connect/reach the headset to a current MP3 player.

Thanks ahead of time..

@Scott,
Agreed Fred,

I'd like one but as you said, I'd like to see it in person outside in full sunlight. May be awhile as

If someone can clarify, (I did read the spec's), is one of the short "octopus cords" to hardwire the MP3

I currently have standard speakers, hardwired in my helmet with an adapter cord to connect/reach the headset to a current MP3 player.

Thanks ahead of time..
I have one, installed it the other day and rode around in the bright sunlight.

The octopus cord has these connectors:

1. USB Female Type "A": The equivalent to what you have in your PC. Could be used to power anything (not sure of max amps, though) and is a two-way integration port to iPods and iPhones (maybe others, but I don't think so.

2. Mic "in" - 2.5 mm?

3. Audio "in" - 2.5 mm

4. Audio "out" - 2.5 mm - tested this with plain old earbuds, works fine.

5. Power leads: 8-28V and ground.

Notes:

1. Only the USB is needed to connect to and integrate with an iPod nano. Audio "in" not needed. Keeps it powered and interfaces with the playlists, albums, shuffle option, etc. It doesn't have all interfaces for possible things the nano can do, however, such as FM radio.

2. I found the screen completely readable even with the sun glaring right on the screen and reflecting back into my eyes. Facing it slightly downward so the sunlight itself is not reflecting in our eyes is better, however.

3. I'm using a Sena SMH10 with it, so audio "out" is also unused, as is "mic".

4. The various tentacles of the octopus are quite long, as is the cable as a whole. I don't yet have a fuze block or similar, so I tapped the input side of my SupaBrake (behind the left side panel below the seat) and ran the USB feed back into the "glove" compartment, where I tapped into it and installed my Nano.

@Scott,
Agreed Fred,

Thanks ahead of time..
I have one, installed it the other day and rode around in the bright sunlight.

The octopus cord has these connectors:

1. USB Female Type "A": The equivalent to what you have in your PC. Could be used to power anything (not sure of max amps, though) and is a two-way integration port to iPods and iPhones (maybe others, but I don't think so.

2. Mic "in" - 2.5 mm?

3. Audio "in" - 2.5 mm

4. Audio "out" - 2.5 mm - tested this with plain old earbuds, works fine.

5. Power leads: 8-28V and ground.

Notes:

1. Only the USB is needed to connect to and integrate with an iPod nano. Audio "in" not needed. Keeps it powered and interfaces with the playlists, albums, shuffle option, etc. It doesn't have all interfaces for possible things the nano can do, however, such as FM radio.

2. I found the screen completely readable even with the sun glaring right on the screen and reflecting back into my eyes. Facing it slightly downward so the sunlight itself is not reflecting in our eyes is better, however.

3. I'm using a Sena SMH10 with it, so audio "out" is also unused, as is "mic".

4. The various tentacles of the octopus are quite long, as is the cable as a whole. I don't yet have a fuze block or similar, so I tapped the input side of my SupaBrake (behind the left side panel below the seat) and ran the USB feed back into the "glove" compartment, where I tapped into it and installed my Nano.
Thank you, very helpful!

A couple of other notes:

1. Some places are selling the unit bundled with the sensors for around $860. I got mine at GPS city. I haven't installed the sensors yet, waiting on rigid valve stems.

2. Batteries in the sensors are replaceable. Standard BR1225 batteries- widely available.

Took a drive today and uncovered a bit of Nanny behavior. It warns me as I'm about to enter a school zone and another while I'm in it with pop-up messages. Shows speed limit as 20 MPH. One might complain but I know Deputy Dawg likes to stalk us in these locations.

Happened at two different school zones and coincided exactly with the locations of the speed limit change signs.

Took a drive today and uncovered a bit of Nanny behavior. It warns me as I'm about to enter a school zone and another while I'm in it with pop-up messages. Shows speed limit as 20 MPH. One might complain but I know Deputy Dawg likes to stalk us in these locations.
Happened at two different school zones and coincided exactly with the locations of the speed limit change signs.
That feature might actually interest me. Over the past couple of months the two counties here on L.I. petitioned the state for permission to install school zone speeding cameras citing safety concerns. (OMG! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!) Of course years of history show minimal accidents at these locations and even the pols finally admit it's really just a cash grab but the state approved it anyway a couple of weeks ago. One camera (so far) per school district for about 125 total. Looks like it'll be a $50 minimum fine not including surcharges, fees, etc.

Now if Garmin could do the same for each of the intersections with red light cameras I'd be buying one tomorrow.

That feature might actually interest me. Over the past couple of months the two counties here on L.I. petitioned the state for permission to install school zone speeding cameras citing safety concerns. (OMG! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!) Of course years of history show minimal accidents at these locations and even the pols finally admit it's really just a cash grab but the state approved it anyway a couple of weeks ago. One camera (so far) per school district for about 125 total. Looks like it'll be a $50 minimum fine not including surcharges, fees, etc.

Now if Garmin could do the same for each of the intersections with red light cameras I'd be buying one tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure there are radar detectors that'll do that for ya.

You can download the proximity alerts for every red light and speed camera in a couple ways. Garmin sells a product called Cyclops that gives you warnings for every intersection with a RLC. www.POIfactory.com will give it to you for free if you are an active contributor, or for $5.00 if you just want to buy it, with 6-months of free updates. You use the free Garmin POI loader software to put it on the GPS, or send me a PM with your email.