New Gel Seat!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JQL

Reaction score
For Christmas I got a Top Sellerie Deluxe Comfort Lowered Gel Seat. Due to the weather and work cry I haven't been able to go for a long run on it. Just a few quick 10 minute commutes to work. But, on 7th March (well before the "lock-down") I was able to get out for just over 2½ hours "saddle time" (without getting off the bike for the whole 2½ hours).

I'm only 5'8" with a 29½" inside leg and need a little help touching the ground with the standard seat so I got the lowered seat. This has given about an extra ½" which doesn't sound much but does allow the balls of both my feet to touch the ground. This make a great deal of difference at Stop signs and lights. So if you're "vertically challenged" like me, look at getting the lowered seat before lowering the suspension. You may find that extra ½" is enough.

When installing the seat I thought it didn't fit! It does take a little fiddling to understand how it fits together and locks down as the tolerances are very close.

The seat has a lip at the rear and this does help when accelerating hard as it's larger than the little lip on the Standard seat. The pillion seat looks really, really comfortable! It's very well padded and feels very nice indeed.

Initially the seat feels very firm. It does need "saddle time" to bed in. After about 2 hours, I no longer noticed the firmness and could have stayed on the bike much longer. I believe it'll become even more comfortable the longer I sit on it (that's what has happened with the seat on my "other" bike).

Anyhow, I've done a couple of videos about the seat. Links below:

Unboxing and fitting the seat: https://youtu.be/lUqBSpH1-iM

Long ride on the seat: https://youtu.be/FQ010xMf840

Has the gel caused you any problem? I see that, hear in the US at least, the gel is an option. I've had gel in a seat before and it was very hot in the summer sun. Not fun to get on in the afternoon. Less then $500 for the set on E-Bay is incredibly inexpensive. If only there were a way to try before buying. I'm already at 3 seats, none of which are perfect, or even close...

I am using a Corbin with BeadRider seat beads and it is not to bad. I would love a comfy seat but I do not want to spend crazy much money for a seat that I cannot try 1st.