New guy with lots of questions, plus "How do you ride this thing"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all. As the title says, Im new here and Im about to ask for some help with a few things that I cant seem to find an answer for. First up, the n00b questions:

I have an 06. Bought it sight unseen (well, to be specific I traded my Super Tenere for it, rode to FLA in the last tropical storm and swapped bikes in the driving rain, so neither of us did a whole lot of test riding or checking out of the bikes)

The PO did some goofy stuff, some of which I want to undo.

For example, he added 2 LEDs and Buzzers to the bars that stick straight up that blink/sound when the blinkers are on. I HATE them and need to figure out how to unwire them ASAP.

Also, how much should the windshield "bounce"? Is there anything I should do to lube the mechanism (it makes a noise when raising and lowering it)

Is there a simple way to get rid of grip heaters? Theres 2 sets on my bike...and I live in SC...

Should I be able to "hear" the electronics? (IE, theres a faint whine when the bike runs, which changes sound when I turn things like the driving lights and grips on and off)

When going from on throttle to closed throttle (using the engine to slow yourself), is it normal to hear what sounds like gravel being kicked up against metal (almost sounds like an exhaust leak or an exhaust spring rattling, but its stock exhaust and comes from up front)

Is there a place to find the caps that fill in the body when the bags are off?

On a lot of bikes, there are "must do" mods. On the KLR for example, you need to do the doohickey. Other bikes you have to swap the seat as soon as you buy it. Are there anythings I should look to do to mine?

The ABS light is solid on, but the brakes work fine (i have yet to get a pulse from the pedal no matter how hard I stop, but theres no sliding either). My dealership said the ABS ring in the front was crushed and binding up the front wheel, and they straightened it out and put it back together altho the abs light is still on. They also told me they could not connect to a computer to clear/check the codes. Any ideas?

Those are my n00b questions, but I have one that may sound...offensive. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion and Im asking for tips and help here!

So I dont like sportbikes, at all. When I put my S10 on the market, my goal was to get a Gen 1.5 Kawasaki Concours. I was suggested to get a FJR instead, being that Im fat. I come from a background of traditional choppers, goldwings, and dual sports. I dont like Harleys or most cruiser, and I REALLY hate crotch rockets (Long story, but to sum up I dont see the point in something designed to ONLY go fast. Same thing with cruisers that only get ridden for show)

I was very skeptical when I first got on the FJR. I had a longish trip back to SC with it, and the closest Id been to a bike like this was an FJ-09 I owned for a month. On the highway, the FJR was a dream. It was only when I went to get off the highway, and do slow, in town riding that I was seriously nervous. At one point, I almost dropped it trying to make a slow speed right into a parking lot.

This past week of ownership, Ive gotten a good feel for it, but it still makes me nervous. I dont feel completely comfortable on it yet, and would love some tips for riding this beast. I have a hard time getting good mpgs and keeping it below 80...in town....

Now, let me tell you about her:

'06, some minor wear and tear (nbd). 47XXX miles. Denali lights mounted under the mirrors that sit on SW Motech extensions. 2 sets of grip heaters (1 just on/off, one on a dial and supposed to be feckin HOT), those aforementioned LED/Buzzer dealios, the right HL adjuster was swapped for a cigarette lighter (adjuster is someplace behind the plastic), Barkbuster Storm hand guards, Vstream windshield (not sure which one, but at full up I get no wind), kickstand widener, ramball on the fork cap, givi rear rack with 44l monokey box, sargent seat, nautilus horn, frame sliders

I think thats all for her. I have a plan in mind for it in the long run, but for now I just wanna unscrew the things from the PO.

Pretty

IMG_2135_zpshcou2ax5.jpg

Lights

IMG_8225_zpsmoynqvpq.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the antenna for the turn signal warning dealios
IMG_0873_zpsyo16c4hn.jpg

Controls for lights and heaters...
IMG_4841_zpsae3yaj37.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

The easiest search you can do for a specific problem goes like this. Lubing windshield mechanism:FJR forum. try that when searching. You are close to many forum members. Some of the folks here are willing to help you. Good luck with your issues.

Rob

They also told me they could not connect to a computer to clear/check the codes. Any ideas?
Find a new dealer then go buy a service manual,

Welcome to the Forum.

All the information you will ever need is here, all the matter of searching.

You do NOT need a computer to access any ABS or ECU error or diagnostic codes. It is NOT a CAN system, thank God lol lol

There is a test lead or jumper that allows testing of the ABS functions and error codes,

I normally do it once a year to work the ABS so it doesn't bugger up, quite $$$$$$$$$$ unit to replace.

The new Gen 4 bikes require laptop, lead and stealer to access everything, a huge step in the WRONG direction.

Midrange all your suspension settings and use your head to go from there to your liking a couple clicks at a time. If they are badly mis-adjusted for your weight and/or the tires under-inflated it'll handle like a pig a low speed. Handling shouldn't be a concern at any speed but certainly becomes much more delightful above 25 mph.

With 47xxx miles your rear shock/spring could stand some scrutiny if original.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only question I'll take on is the grip heater one. I know it's June and you're in the South, but they are a valuable (to you and a prospective future buyer) option. Why would you want to remove or disable them? Just don't turn them on! And one of these days, sooner or later, it's bound to get cold.

The only question I'll take on is the grip heater one. I know it's June and you're in the South, but they are a valuable (to you and a prospective future buyer) option. Why would you want to remove or disable them? Just don't turn them on! And one of these days, sooner or later, it's bound to get cold.

For me, less is more. The less crap I have wired, the better IMO. The plan was to leave one, the dialed one, if possible. 2 just seems overkill.

^^^^ I am in Texas and installed heaters. I also have a full cadre of heated gear. It gets chilly for a few months. This keeps me riding.

I agree that TWO sets of grip heaters is overkill. Get rid of the On/Off set and keep the adjustable ones. I am in South Louisiana and use my grip heaters, by all means keep the best set on the bike.

The windshield on the Gen2 bikes does shake and wobble while you ride. The larger, "barn door" screen you have should move a lot. Yes, there is info on this forum about how to lube the mechanism, it should not make excessive noise.

I am not sure about "hearing the electronics" but... see the next line down.

I think the Gravel Sound from open to closed throttle may be your timing chain. Yamaha updated the Cam Chain Tensioner during the '07 model year. If your bike is still using the original CCT and has almost 50K miles, it needs to be looked at.

Yes, you can buy the filler caps for the body work. Try BikeBandit for a start.

I would bet the suspension needs some attention and I would absolutely get my ABS fixed.

Good Luck.

Out of all of Redfish Hunters post...by far the most immediately relevant words are his advice with regards to the timing chain.

Ignore that at your peril.

With regards to the heaters, I have owned a motorcycle as my only transportation for 10+ years. In that span, Ive never had them. Just something I never saw the need for. I wont mind having them, but I dont absolutely need them.

As for the grip heater controls; is one to control other heated gear (aux. plug)? Can't see why anyone would have 2 controllers for the grips, makes no sense.

As for the grip heater controls; is one to control other heated gear (aux. plug)? Can't see why anyone would have 2 controllers for the grips, makes no sense.

Part of me thinks this guy was full of it, and theres only a single heater. When I swapped the tail light bulbs out, I did find another "battery tender" type lead tied into the rear tail light wiring. Theres also one by the right leg vent.

My brand new 2014 FJR handled like shit. Heavy and bad and fell into turns requiring strong pressure on the inside bar in a turn. Pogo'd like a crackhead in a tight curve. Fixes were easy once smart dudes here pointed me in the right direction. Tires were super underinflated from the dealer. Additionally, that model tire sucked period. Running 40 front/42 rear and avoiding sucky tires fixed everything and it handled like a dream. Cranking the suspension settings to hard fixed the pogo'ing. Good luck. You have a great looking bike.

<p>Dear Noob,<br />

<br />

Here's my two cents:</p>

<p> <br />

(<em>1 cent</em>)  Don't change anything until you've ridden 1,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.  How do you know that you don't like it?<br />

<br />

(<em>2 cents</em>) Take an MSF Rider Course -- on the FJR if possible -- and follow their advice.  Your confidence level will skyrocket.  Then ride to New Orleans or somewhere.<br />

........................................................................................................................</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The FJR is at the far end of the moto-spectrum from cruisers, Gold Wings, and choppers.  She's a first-class badass ride, but is very different than those other bikes.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word to the wise... IF that is the old style CCT and IF that noise you hear is the timing chain, those grip heaters are the least of your worries. If that cam chain skips, your "new" FJR is now useless.
animated_gifs_flashing_blue_lights_008.gif
RFH your warning should have included blue and red police lights on either side
animated_gifs_flashing_blue_lights_008.gif