New guy with lots of questions, plus "How do you ride this thing"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of much good advice, perhaps the best advice. Don't assume any mods are necessary... And take an msf course. Go to a basic one and brush up where it's safe. After over 100k on motorcycles, I decided to get my MC license, and got a free invite (or maybe it was discounted) to an advanced rider course that would negate any need for a driving test. It was like a skateboard park for my motorcycle for me. The instructor for our group called me aside and asked me what the heck I was doing in the class. I told her the truth. Getting my ticket and having a whole lot of fun. Do it. If you want a day at the funpark, schedule and advanced rider course. If you want to learn and refine, go to a basic rider's course. If you don't really know how to ride well or smoothly, or just aren't sure, schedule a bike bonding class. Whichever you choose, there'll likely be other people just like you there. <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Uncle Hud" data-cid="1317912" data-time="1465916889"><p>
Dear Noob,<br />
<br />
Her'es my two cents:<br />
<br />
(1 cent) Don't change anything until you've ridden 1,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. How do you know that you don't like it?<br />
<br />
(2 cents) Take an MSF Rider Course -- on the FJR if possible -- and follow their advice. Your confidence level will skyrocket. Then ride to New Orleans or somewhere.<br />
........................................................................................................................<br />
<br />
The FJR is at the far end of the moto-spectrum from cruisers, Gold Wings, and choppers. She's a first-class badass ride, but is very different than those other bikes.</p></blockquote>

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word to the wise... IF that is the old style CCT and IF that noise you hear is the timing chain, those grip heaters are the least of your worries. If that cam chain skips, your "new" FJR is now useless.
animated_gifs_flashing_blue_lights_008.gif
RFH your warning should have included blue and red police lights on either side
animated_gifs_flashing_blue_lights_008.gif
Absolutely! The original CCT was the old style, and at 47k, you NEED the new style ASAP..... while you're doing a valve check, which is also overdue. Get that new CCT...... real soon.

well, ive already dicked with the suspension settings. Im a big guy, so the rear is on hard both by choice and because the adjustment handle is....somewhere not attached to the bike. I set everything to 15 clicks out and i *think* 3 rings, following some guides I read on here.

I also really believe the "gravel" noise to be an exhaust leak of some kind. When you engine brake (and right before it should stall) it sounds like thumping in a coffee can, so when i have a chance ill take a closer look.