new modular helmet?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am definitely a modular helmet guy. Big ears, glasses, and claustrophobia, so I really like being able to slip it off and on easily and open it to talk or take a drink--even on the move.

Anyway, my Shoei Multitec is a good, safe, quality helmet, and very comfortable . Look at all you can, and try them on in the store as long as you can, but don't overlook the a-little-bit-less Multitec if you go shopping for Shoei.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought a Bell Revolver for about $100.00 on cloeeout when the Revolver EVO was introduced. The Revolver is noisier than the CL-16 it replaced because of accident damage but I wear earplugs all the time and covered the rear vents at the bottom rear with tape so the noise is manageable. Ventilation is not terribly good but with the shield cracked open to the first detent it is pretty good. With the modular section raised it is what I think an open face must be like. Drawback for me is that I have to tip my head forward to see the instrument panel\gps. I'6' even, 160# and have the stock bars in the middle position. Maybe if I moved the bars back it would make a difference. I am looking to replace the Revolver with a full face. HJC IS-16 up to the Shoei Qwest. Want a Hi-Viz or brightYellow in medium so lots of choices.

Hello guys

I visited all your websites and I think the helmets are good. hm. Nolan and Bell got the most suggestions. How about Arai? My friend told me that Arai is also good. What do you think. And also I found those brands that you mentioned here https://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets

I have not experience dealing with this store but the items are complete. What do you think?

Hello guys

I visited all your websites and I think the helmets are good. hm. Nolan and Bell got the most suggestions. How about Arai? My friend told me that Arai is also good. What do you think. And also I found those brands that you mentioned here https://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Helmets

I have not experience dealing with this store but the items are complete. What do you think?
Arai does not offer a flip-up modular helmet (that I am aware of).

Reviews - WebBikeWorld has among the most informative and unbiased reviews around. Pay attention if you wear eyeglasses, as some helmets don't accomodate glasses very well. Shark and Bell Revolver are among ones that they found weak in this area, and I found the same when I tried them on in the store.

Jafrum - if you live in the greater Charlotte area (I do), Jafrum is close by. I've never been to their store as they typically did not have items in stock that I wanted, and pricing was pretty average.

Depending on where you live, Competition Accessories in Rock Hill, SC may be a good option. They have the best helmet selection available on the shelf of any store I've personally ever visited, including Revzilla's excellent shop in Philadelphia (Revzilla's staff are far and away more knowledgeable, however). They have HJC, Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan, Bell modular flip-ups plus some other lesser brands.

Lee

Hello guys

Arai does not offer a flip-up modular helmet (that I am aware of).

Reviews - WebBikeWorld has among the most informative and unbiased reviews around. Pay attention if you wear eyeglasses, as some helmets don't accomodate glasses very well. Shark and Bell Revolver are among ones that they found weak in this area, and I found the same when I tried them on in the store.

Jafrum - if you live in the greater Charlotte area (I do), Jafrum is close by. I've never been to their store as they typically did not have items in stock that I wanted, and pricing was pretty average.

Depending on where you live, Competition Accessories in Rock Hill, SC may be a good option. They have the best helmet selection available on the shelf of any store I've personally ever visited, including Revzilla's excellent shop in Philadelphia (Revzilla's staff are far and away more knowledgeable, however). They have HJC, Shoei, Schuberth, Nolan, Bell modular flip-ups plus some other lesser brands.

Lee

I'm from Charlotte too. So, jafrum is the closest store to visit? What item did you buy which was out of stock? I want to know if they have good helmets there.

I'm from Charlotte too. So, jafrum is the closest store to visit? What item did you buy which was out of stock? I want to know if they have good helmets there.

I have never visited Jafrum. From what I could tell on the phone, they did not seem to have much of a showroom or carry a lot of inventory. For some reason, when I called a couple of times, they also seemed to frown on the idea of me going there to look at stuff. I think they may be set up to be solely an Internet retailer. Call them yourself and see if they have any of the helmets you want available in stock to try on.

If you want to see and try on a lot of helmets (and maybe buy one), ride down 77 to exit 82 to Competition Accessories in Rock Hill. They are one of the biggest Shoei dealers in the country and have an amazing helmet selection. Also a very good selection of apparel. From my experience, their prices are generally very competitive with Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore, etc, since the vast majority of their sales is over the Web. They also have a bargain room with odds and end close-outs. I do find them pretty weak on accessory items, except they are a GIVI dealer, and they do have several GIVI trunks on a nice display and have an ok selection of cleaners, waxes, etc. Their Rock Hill store is open 7 days a week, which is darned handy for me, since I rarely can get there during the week before they close at 6pm.

I'm saving for my next helmet...HJC Sy-Max III in hiviz

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/helmets_and_eyewear/closed_face_flip_up_chin/hjc/sy_max_iii_helmet.html in hiviz

oh...pricing https://www.motorcyclegear.com/pricing/private/5324

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/hjc/sy-max-3/

578-341d-2.jpg
+1

I've used Multitec and schuberth flips ups quite a bit. Shoei was nice but just doesn't fit my head just right. The Schuberth is difficult to open with one hand (for eating and such), but otherwise i like it a lot. I really have no complaints with the Symax 3. Very light, much better than current HJC IS series IMHO. BUT I think $100 more for the Symax 3. Symax 3 (like some of the others) is also Pinlock which I absolutely love,

Would love to try the Nolan.

that is a fabulous photo! it appears you have a magnificent black, silver tipped phallus looking thing going on there. Anybody else catch that or am I suffering heat stroke or something.

Awaiting road test report on the helmet, not the other thing.

I have never visited Jafrum. From what I could tell on the phone, they did not seem to have much of a showroom or carry a lot of inventory. For some reason, when I called a couple of times, they also seemed to frown on the idea of me going there to look at stuff. I think they may be set up to be solely an Internet retailer. Call them yourself and see if they have any of the helmets you want available in stock to try on.

If you want to see and try on a lot of helmets (and maybe buy one), ride down 77 to exit 82 to Competition Accessories in Rock Hill. They are one of the biggest Shoei dealers in the country and have an amazing helmet selection. Also a very good selection of apparel. From my experience, their prices are generally very competitive with Revzilla, Motorcycle Superstore, etc, since the vast majority of their sales is over the Web. They also have a bargain room with odds and end close-outs. I do find them pretty weak on accessory items, except they are a GIVI dealer, and they do have several GIVI trunks on a nice display and have an ok selection of cleaners, waxes, etc. Their Rock Hill store is open 7 days a week, which is darned handy for me, since I rarely can get there during the week before they close at 6pm.

Really? I visited their website and saw various types of helmets. hm. So the problem that you have encountered is the customer service? Thanks. I'll on it. =D

I have the sy max in hi viz. I really like it. It is noisier than my standard full face. I really like the internal dark shield. It is very handy. Good investment.

I've been using the Nolan N104 for a couple months now. It's my first flip-up, and the best lid Ive ever worn. I went from an Icon Alliance to the 104, and the Nolan out performs it in just about every way. The 104 fits my head shape well (medium oval), and has the best airflow I've ever had. The internal sun visor is great, and nice and clear. I was sceptical of the optical quality of the internal visor, but it's top notch. I would compare it to a good pair of Oakley shades. There is a little wind noise, but no more than I had with my Icon full face. My Sena blue tooth works well with it, after a little trimming of the bottom molding to fit the mounting bracket. Some have mentioned the visor shaking while up and riding at speed, but I haven't noticed that at all. When I need to raise the visor, I usually raise the whole chin bar. The pin-lock visor is also the only truely fog-free visor I've ever seen. It works great in humid climates with lots of fog.

If I was shopping again, I would get the N104 again without a doubt. I'm glad I spent a little more $ for it. Most important though, make sure you fit your head shape correctly and you'll be happy.

Good luck!

This may have been posted before, but it's a really good article to digest if one is considering a modular helmet. Reading it doesn't convince me to switch from a full face (especially since I've "road tested" one), but still, the article does raise some good points and is the first I've seen that actually tests the chin bar.

MC Cruiser Mag helmet test

That is a useful, but older article from 2003. Most of the tested models are no longer on the market. Perhaps more up to date is the Sharp helmet testing done in the UK. If you look at "System" helmets (what we call flip-ups), you can look at each one tested and see how they performed. Interesting to look at the % of impacts where the faceguard remained locked. Nolan actually does especially well in that regard. Neotec and N104 are not yet tested, but many other recent designs are.

Sharp Testing

Last edited by a moderator:
that is a fabulous photo! it appears you have a magnificent black, silver tipped phallus looking thing going on there. Anybody else catch that or am I suffering heat stroke or something.

Awaiting road test report on the helmet, not the other thing.
You sick phuck!!! :p