New North Texas member!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, bad news.. I think when I get home tonight my wife and mother are confronting me about wanting a bike... this is not good. My dad knew and called me to warn me. Ugh, guess I should say by FZ6! @(%(%&@!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear that. Keep in mind that they have probably objected, in no small part, because they care about you. Doesn't always feel that way when they tell you 'it's a bad idea', but I'll bet that has a lot to do with it.

If you do end up getting a bike, I also agree that the FJR is probably not be the best choice for a beginner bike. Due to rising fuel costs, the smaller CC bikes are selling quickly (at least they have been here in Austin). I think you would have no problem unloading your first, smaller, bike, provided that you buy it used and pay a fair price for it.

Like you, I rode dirt bikes for years before I owned my first street bike, but a more experienced friend recommended I start with a lightweight bike. My first was an '87 Suzuki Savage 650. It was a great bike to learn on, and when I needed to sell it, I had no problems getting 100% of what I paid for it. My second bike was a Honda VFR 800 (which I miss), then a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600, and finally the FJR. Anyway, my point is that you kind of work you way up to a bike like the FJR.

Hope it all works out for you, one way or the other. I feel for you. I've had 2 wives that didn't like the idea of me getting a bike (or a new one), and I've had two divorces, each followed by new bike purchases. Coincidence?

Well, bad news.. I think when I get home tonight my wife and mother are confronting me about wanting a bike... this is not good. My dad knew and called me to warn me. Ugh, guess I should say by FZ6! @(%(%&@!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear that. Keep in mind that they have probably objected, in no small part, because they care about you. Doesn't always feel that way when they tell you 'it's a bad idea', but I'll bet that has a lot to do with it.

If you do end up getting a bike, I also agree that the FJR is probably not be the best choice for a beginner bike. Due to rising fuel costs, the smaller CC bikes are selling quickly (at least they have been here in Austin). I think you would have no problem unloading your first, smaller, bike, provided that you buy it used and pay a fair price for it.

Like you, I rode dirt bikes for years before I owned my first street bike, but a more experienced friend recommended I start with a lightweight bike. My first was an '87 Suzuki Savage 650. It was a great bike to learn on, and when I needed to sell it, I had no problems getting 100% of what I paid for it. My second bike was a Honda VFR 800 (which I miss), then a Kawasaki Mean Streak 1600, and finally the FJR. Anyway, my point is that you kind of work you way up to a bike like the FJR.

Hope it all works out for you, one way or the other. I feel for you. I've had 2 wives that didn't like the idea of me getting a bike (or a new one), and I've had two divorces, each followed by new bike purchases. Coincidence?
Still on my first wife.. we'll see if it lasts.... the bike that is :)

Yeah, I'm on pins and needles about this one, too. LOL!

I remember my (first) wife's objections when I showed up with a KZ440 back in the 70s. I don't hear from her much anymore but my mom -- bless her -- still worries and complains after all these years and all these bikes.

The bike isn't fast unless you pull the throttle.. right ?? :)
Maybe not, but this is still a heavy bike, and controlling this much mass safely is a different area of expertise than throttle discipline.

I cringe when I see someone post that they're considering an FJR as a first bike. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Welcome aboard. I bought my first Yamaha ('07 FJR) one year ago after riding for 48 years and it is one great motorcycle. Even with all those years experience, I am still amazed at the power of the 1300 engine. I can understand why anyone would desire an FJR but like those that replied earlier, the FJR is hardly a "starter motorcycle". I can remember when a 750cc Honda was an all-out touring rig and almost considered too big for commuting or city use. Look for a naked UJM (universal Japanese motorcycle) in the 750cc or smaller size that's a couple of years old, spend 6 months learning and completing the MSF training before buying an FJR.

I hate reading about FJR Forum members that crash. They don't all get to tell us about.

OBD

I hope everything works out for you. I don't feel that an FJR is to big for a person of your size to handle. However what others have stated is very true, but they also failed to mention how deceptively fast an FJR is. You will be doing 85 - 100 mph without realizing your going that fast.

So if you do decide on the FJR be very careful.

Well guys, an update on the FZ6 to FJR journey.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!! I've put two new tires on it, and 1,000+ miles and I'm lovin every mile! I ride everyday to work! How nice is $9-11 to fill up! Anyway, once my car sells (BMW 540 if anyone is interested), I'm going to turn up the pressure on getting an FJR. At least I need to ride one. I know one thing, with my tall frame (6' 6") the wind at 60+mph is a little rough on the FZ6.. even with a Puig windscreen. I'm hoping the FJR will be easier to avoid the wind :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope everything works out for you. I don't feel that an FJR is to big for a person of your size to handle. However what others have stated is very true, but they also failed to mention how deceptively fast an FJR is. You will be doing 85 - 100 mph without realizing your going that fast.
So if you do decide on the FJR be very careful.
+1 on the deceptiveness of the FJR!

I just rode my new '08 home yesterday and at 55mph felt like I was standing still.

I applaud your decision to "grow into" an FJR. I was going to second, third, and fourth the comments made by others about the FJR not necessarily being the best "1st bike" for anyone until I saw how old the thread was.....OK call me slow!

You will find out that @ 6'6" even on an FJR you'll probably need a +6 windscreen if you want any peace and quiet.

We're glad your amongst us and wish you the best in your "journey"

VP

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the FZ6. Maybe you can join us on the next group ride...assuming we have another one sometime. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this was a while ago wasn't it! :) I really enjoyed my FZ6 guys, I put numerous miles on it, and had to agree, it was the perfect first bike (although I did end up wishing I bought the FJR to begin with)! I ended up losing my job (Sept09) and had to sell just about everything thanks to a local nasty Plano company which will remain nameless (traXXa$)... :) . Any hoot, I sold it to a guy who I' sure appreciated it ($2800 for an 04 FZ6).

I have yet to buy another bike, but look at my luck, the prices on the blue 2006 FJR have gone down even more :) and with $3.99 gas prices these days, ugh.. it's looking better. My commute is 45mins in the morning and thru heavy traffic, so maybe getting rid of my bike was a blessing in disguise :)

Take care guys, I'll check in again when I FINALLY have a FJR :)

RIDE SAFE!

Holy Zombie thread Batman!!

Well, glad you're back. Now quit fooling around and get a bike!

These old threads are cool to see who we haven't seen and probably missed for a while. Time for a "what ever happend to" thread again?

First of all, welcome to the fold and to the Forum. I'm in Keller (North Ft. Worth) and commute daily. I usually try and ride on the weekends at least one day, at least 150 miles or so. Once you are mounted, let me know and we'll try and schedule some road time.

As far as making the FJR your first bike purchase is concerned, my thoughts are like this. IF you have experience riding, then there is truly no finer mount than that which you are considering. The FJR is lighter than the Concours or the Honda ST, less expensive and more reliable than the BMW RT's, and more fun to ride than any other bike. It is comfortable, nimble, quick, fast, and extremely smooth.

But, it does take some "skills" to handle any bike and that shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't know your skill level, but if you're comfortable with the FJ, then I would definitely look for a used one. I'm partial to ABS and will never own a bike without it. Many on here like the Gen I, I'm a believer in buying as new as my wallet will allow.

I know my opinion probably doesn't add much to this thread, but welcome anyway!

Send a PM if you'd like to get in contact.