New Oregon Speed Limits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OSP wants to aggressively enforce the new speed limits. What did they think they were doing before? Selling tickets to the patrolman's ball?

It has been a number of years since I drove 395 from LA up to I-90 and then into Seattle but I don't remember driving at much below 65 or 70 through Oregon. Hardly any traffic and no LEO other ethan one stopped at a light in Burns. That was about 20 years ago so it sounds like enforcement has tightened up.

bigjohnsd posted: The speed differential between vehicles is much more of a problem than 10 over
This, my friends, is usually the root cause of traffic congestion and crashes, and is the most important contributor to crash severity. Especially when the tree, deer, bridge abutment, or street light pole is going zero.

Hey Oregon, welcome to the '90's. I'm sure there will be numerous flaming fireballs of death from them going all the way to 70mph on I-84 in the middle of nowhere.

900px-US_Speed_Limits_May_2015.svg.png

Awesome. I love riding in Oregon's NE section. But, yes the speed limits in the past were shall we say... bull pucky.

bigjohnsd posted: The speed differential between vehicles is much more of a problem than 10 over
This, my friends, is usually the root cause of traffic congestion and crashes, and is the most important contributor to crash severity. Especially when the tree, deer, bridge abutment, or street light pole is going zero.
Even worse if what you hit is going the speed limit--AT you!

If this change is going into effect now, guess it was passed well before I picked up my certificate from an Oregon Trooper for going about 70 on one of those pretty-damn-empty roads on the way to last year's Reuben Run.
angry01.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminder folks. This thread is about New Oregon Speed Limits.

For example, I've nuked three posts so far that didn't have anything to do with Oregon....two were exclusively about one other state and one was about two other states with a possible reference to all states generically.

You want to talk about another state or another subject...please go start a new thread...they're free! You want to talk about Oregon's New speed limits...then this thread is for you!

Thanks.

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
They put all the signs up some time back but left them turned 90 degrees away from the road. Crews will be out tonight to turn them facing traffic and let the madness begin. In the past when going to Bend from my house I've had troopers pass me when I'm doing 70 and they didn't see to care. I wonder if now they will collect revenue for awhile to pay for the new signage.

They put all the signs up some time back but left them turned 90 degrees away from the road. Crews will be out tonight to turn them facing traffic and let the madness begin. In the past when going to Bend from my house I've had troopers pass me when I'm doing 70 and they didn't see to care. I wonder if now they will collect revenue for awhile to pay for the new signage.
Man, I've had the complete opposite experience on that stretch of 97, though I have to admit that most of the cars that I see pulled over have California plates.

When coming home from Beemerdons wake the speed limit on I84 goes from 75 to 65 at Ontario, Or. If you actually slow down to the posted limit, you'll get run over. And in no time you are back up over 75 again.

It has been a number of years since I drove 395 from LA up to I-90 and then into Seattle but I don't remember driving at much below 65 or 70 through Oregon. Hardly any traffic and no LEO other ethan one stopped at a light in Burns. That was about 20 years ago so it sounds like enforcement has tightened up.
You bet. Have had a couple of rabbits pulled over (California plates) and always have had the detector . Be interesting to get feedback on the new enforcement on the new speeds.

Drove to Bend and back yesterday and the signs say 65. I set the cruise on 70+ and was getting passed. That's just how it was before the change. I heard that the troopers were working the stretch between Bend and Redmond pretty hard.